It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.3 Million Got Disability for ‘Mood Disorders’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

While you are semi-correct that gene therapy can work, it is an incredibly invasive treatment, and still in very experimental stages of development.

Neurofeedback has been around since the 70's and in recent years the field has been growing with more practitioners and increasing studies done on it. It is a therapy that requires 3 sessions a week ( it's basically brain excersize on focused points with abnormal brainwave activity, and retrains how that area functions ) and 40 - 120 sessions depending on the person and what's being treated. For me - i'm 14 sessions in, going 4 times a week and need about another 60 - 80 sessions.

You know what "bi-polar" is? It's the current propaganda term that's given to people with terrible emotional regulation, and who most have personality disorders, but researchers have found out that telling someone they have a personality disorder generally makes their situation worse so they'll use a generic term like "bi-polar" or "mood disorder".

If you look at the brain, these emotional instability issues show up in various forms, and for me it's excessive theta waves and low beta waves across the back region of my brain. When we started training, my theta was about 20% to high, and beta 5% to low. I'm now at about 5% to high on theta and 2% to low on beta. However that's just on one location. It also doesn't show the cohesion of how the brain is working, but through excessive new neural pathways are developed.

I do agree that there is a conspiracy against people with mood disorders - to keep them ill - and is maintained by workers in the mental health industry, as well as pharmaceutical companies. You see the average counselor will believe that "they" have this unique perspective into the human psyche, which grants them the ability to "fix" people. While that might work with people who experience normal emotional patterns that the counselor can relate to, it does not work with someone like myself who has very abnormal emotional response.

Here's an example of that. When someone complements me, I feel extremely uncomfortable.

The issue with the pharmaceutical companies is that they just push new drugs all the time, and without a psychiatrist who's seeing their patent on a weekly basis to modify the drugs and gradually fix the brain with a proper chemical balance, then all that the drugs are doing is keeping the person perpetually ill and masking the symptoms. ( i'll go a little more into this in a minute )

These two things don't really fix people with extreme issues, they just keep the person stringed along seeking help. But that's the traditional way of treating mental disorders - they treat the symptoms and never address the underlying issues that cause the symptoms. Neurofeedback addresses underlying abnormal brain functioning which then reduces/eliminates the symptoms for the individual.

Either way though, people with mood disorders lose out in today's system. They get bashed on by people like you for being emotionally disabled ( but really, you don't want people like me working ) and they can't get the proper treatment necessary to fix their issues because any politician that would push forth a public health-care option to fix disabled individuals is called a communist.

But here's a hard fact on that. People on SSDI get about $900/month to live on. That's 10800 per year that they're on SSDI. The current medicare system provides the absolute minimum support for these people and nothing that actually fixes them. So over a person's life they could be on SSDI for 20 years, costing the tax payers about $200,000 to support them.

or

We institute a public healthcare system that fixes people, and send these individuals through neurofeedback at a cost of about $8,000 per person and have them back in society being productive members for the cost of treatment, and living expenses for six months - 1 year. Total cost $18,800.

Which sounds better?
edit on 27-8-2012 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

Good response.

Now you're on to the money factors.

Also, there is substantial evidence that many different medications can bring on psychotic disorders.

Many medications are unrelated and seem harmless.

A substance-induced psychotic disorder, by definition, is directly caused by the effects of drugs including alcohol, medications, and toxins. Psychotic symptoms can result from intoxication on alcohol, amphetamines (and related substances), cannabis (marijuana), coc aine, hallucinogens, inhalants, opioids, phencyclidine (PCP) and related substances, sedatives, hypnotics, anxiolytics, and other or unknown substances. Psychotic symptoms can also result from withdrawal from alcohol, sedatives, hypnotics, anxiolytics, and other or unknown substances.

Some medications that may induce psychotic symptoms include anesthetics and analgesics, anticholinergic agents, anticonvulsants, antihistamines, antihypertensive and cardiovascular medications, antimicrobial medications, antiparkinsonian medications, chemotherapeutic agents, corticosteroids, gastrointestinal medications, muscle relaxants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, other over-the-counter medications, antidepressant medications, and disulfiram . Toxins that may induce psychotic symptoms include anticholinesterase, organophosphate insecticides, nerve gases, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and volatile substances (such as fuel or paint).

The speed of onset of psychotic symptoms varies depending on the type of substance. For example, using a lot of coc aine can produce psychotic symptoms within minutes. On the other hand, psychotic symptoms may result from alcohol use only after days or weeks of intensive use.

The type of psychotic symptoms also tends to vary according to the type of substance. For instance, auditory hallucinations (specifically, hearing voices), visual hallucinations, and tactile hallucinations are most common in an alcohol-induced psychotic disorder, whereas persecutory delusions and tactile hallucinations (especially formication) are commonly seen in a coc aine- or amphetamine-induced psychotic disorder.
induced psychotic disorder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I came down with paranoid schizophrenia in my early 20's. I spent 8 years in the work force trying to make it. Out of those 8 years I was only employed for 4 of them. Because of complications with my illness I had to apply for disability.

Let me tell you they just don't hand it out to anyone. It took me 6 years to get it. I had medical documentation up the rear that went back as far as 3rd grade. I had 2 hospitalizations at a month each. I had the full support of my doctor who is a MD at a local hospital. I've been a patient of his for 12 years. My doctor is also well known in the psychiatric community in my area. Even Social Security's doctors that examined me knew him. I also had a very good lawyer.

I was denied twice. The first judge I met went as far as to call my doctor a liar. In her words she put it "Dr. XXX was just being sympathetic to Joshua's cause".

I endured six long years of hardship without a penny to my name. I sat around for days even weeks on end without leaving the room I'm in now.

So don't make it sound like applying for disability is a cake walk. I've met other people that it took up to 10 years. The just don't hand it out to anyone.
edit on 27-8-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I blame Obama........
Yes, I said I blame Obama

Please dude , you have zero credibility.

You blame Obama for the demise of the McRib.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Some of those things classified as "mood disorders" are actually pretty serious mental illnesses. As in, if you have one, pretty much anybody on the street can tell that you need some seriously help. And people really underestimate how hard it is to get disability for your average person. I know a few people on it, and it took an average of two or three years. You really have to work and be patient to get on disability.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Reply to post by Char-Lee

If your brother abused drugs he most likely suffered from some type of mental illness and turned to drugs as a form of self medication.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Mood disorders are bipolar, cyclothemia,dysthymic, and major depressive disorder. ADHD is a developemental disorder.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Not that many; I'm medically retiring from the army and draw SSDI. The reason I got approved was 2 herniated, three ruptured, and two synthetic discs. After I applied and was approved, several of my peers (almost all who claimed PTSD) applied. All of them were turned down. While some of them do legitimately have PTSD and other issues, none of them have any mental illness that is so bad that it would keep them from holding a job.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Has anyone ever checked your vitamin D levels? The reason I ask is that I suffered from severe depression for years. Thought it was from PTSD and was taking Zoloft for it and ativan. Then one day I got a new shrink who said "lets check your vitamin d levels". Turns out they were low. Anything under a 30 is cause for concern, mine was a 12. About a month after taking vitamin d supplements I was able to titrate off of antideppresants. Feel better than I've ever felt.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Well here's one issue with the psychiatry industry. It's hard to diagnose someone due to the human factor involved. With cancer you look at various images and then do a biopsy on the suspected growth, and likewise with other physical ailments. With psychological issues, the diagnostic system is a questioner and a person's insights into observed behavior. This really doesn't give a good overall diagnosis as the patient can lie, and diagnosticians are prone to mistaking one behavior for another. So that's why there's sooo much overlap between different diagnosis. It's pretty retarded to me, and the industry needs to move forward with diagnosing people based on how their brains function - not their observable behavior.

Going forward with what you're saying about induced psychosis - it is a very real thing and when one psychiatrist said "oh you have ADD, comorbid with anxiety, and depression, we can treat that"... his treatment was 40mg of amphetamines a day, which worked wonders for the first month, then as my body gained a tolerance, I gradually slipped into an amphetamine psychosis until I quit the drugs because the negative effects outweighed the positive. But that's what psychiatrists do - they guess at what drugs will work for a person, and hope that something just stabilizes them enough to be functioning. That's retarded.

Originally posted by Rastus3663

Has anyone ever checked your vitamin D levels? The reason I ask is that I suffered from severe depression for years. Thought it was from PTSD and was taking Zoloft for it and ativan. Then one day I got a new shrink who said "lets check your vitamin d levels". Turns out they were low. Anything under a 30 is cause for concern, mine was a 12. About a month after taking vitamin d supplements I was able to titrate off of antideppresants. Feel better than I've ever felt.

Yeah the above doctor that gave me 40mg of adderal a day did full bloodwork on me to ensure that vitamins were good, thyrod was good, and everything else. I just had a crappy childhood ( emotional neglect from parents and bullying by peers in school ) combined with genetics that are prone to anxiety disorders, and a few traumatic experiences throughout life, which has sadly left me with being an agoraphobic for most of my 20's.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
The OP is of the "wealthy-coddlers" crowd who thinks that welfare, benefits, or any government assistance should only go to the SUPER-wealthy. How DARE a disabled person (whom cannot earn a living any more) get some help!! HOW DARE!!!

I work 60 hours EVERY WEEK and although I dont have much free time to have a life I am HAPPY that a portion of the taxes I pay out of it goes to help the disabled to allow them to still have a roof over their head and food for them and their children when they are unable to work!! The SUPER-wealthy and folks like the OP think that is "UNFAIR". They wish to live in a society where folks are thrown out into the street with their children starving so that they, the SUPER-wealthy, dont ever have to pay their FAIR SHARE (percentage-wise) in taxes. HECK, I TAKE THAT BACK, they dont want to pay ANY TAXES!!!!!!!! They wish for the lower classes to only pay taxes!!!!!!

The FACTS are that the CONservative extremist Righties are only angry about spending when it comes to it benefiting the unfortunate and anyone other then THEM. They are looking for EVERY WAY OUT of paying their FAIR SHARE (percentage-wise) in taxes and will HAPPILY take the food and roof away from a disabled person, poor person and even a disabled veteran!!!

Sad, and soul-less isnt it?

edit on 27-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

The simple answer to your question is "yes."

This represents (most) everything that is wrong with humanity.

And the worst part is that half of them don't see their own BS, and the other half PRETENDS they don't.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Here is another good article for you to read:
www.theblaze.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It's sad that some Americans are looked at this way when men in suits get more welfare than everyday Americans who have worked and paid into the system and claiming what is rightfully theirs. They are looked down upon, terrible.

It seems to me that if people on the right of the political spectrum are really interested in reducing the nation's debt, they will work to cut back or eliminate the welfare paid not to the poorest Americans, but to the richest Americans. Corporate welfare, not social welfare, is the kind of welfare that is really devastating our country.

For every dollar tax-payers pay for social welfare programs, tax-payers pay three dollars for corporate welfare programs.

Link to article.
There's Welfare and There's Welfare

Some posters here have already stated that it's not easy to qualify. They are not taking anything. The world is eating Americas wealth more than the disabled/poor are here.
edit on 27-8-2012 by eternity4us because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Here is another good article for you to read:
www.theblaze.com...

Yep.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Sorry to see that you are completely out of the loop. Consider that nearly 50% of this nation pays ZERO in federal income tax. So, in reality, the lower classes are not really paying anything on a federal level.

Sorry that you are out of the loop, that was for one year, 2008-2009 that the TAX study you are speaking of was done..so it really isn't accurate.

Also, ANYONE that works, pays federal FICA tax, which is what social security, disability comes out from. Most people pay more in payroll tax than income tax anyway. The majority of the poor in the USA have jobs. So your fantasy about lower classes not paying federal taxes is not accurate.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by jibeho

Sorry to see that you are completely out of the loop. Consider that nearly 50% of this nation pays ZERO in federal income tax. So, in reality, the lower classes are not really paying anything on a federal level.

Sorry that you are out of the loop, that was for one year, 2008-2009 that the TAX study you are speaking of was done..so it really isn't accurate.

Also, ANYONE that works, pays federal FICA tax, which is what social security, disability comes out from. Most people pay more in payroll tax than income tax anyway. The majority of the poor in the USA have jobs. So your fantasy about lower classes not paying federal taxes is not accurate.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

I said FEDERAL INCOME TAX not payroll tax. There is a difference. You even cited that difference.

AS for the numbers. You're right, that year saw a peak yet the numbers are tough to pin down accurately. Given that, we are still between 46% and 50% who pay no Federal INCOME Tax. That number is way to high and has increased steadily over the decades. NOT GOOD for any budget.

Clearly there is a problem with our tax code.....

First, let’s examine the tax burden under current law. When it comes to federal income taxes, the wealthy already pay most of the taxes. (The percentages change a bit when payroll taxes are included, but not much.) People at the lowest levels have a negative share because they get refundable tax credits. Here are the figures from the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center:

Share of individual income tax burden

Less than $10,000 -0.9 percent

$10,000-$20,000 -2.1 percent

$20,000-$30,000 -1.3 percent

$30,000-$40,000 0.5 percent

$40,000-$50,000 1.8 percent

$50,000-$75,000 6.6 percent

$75,000-$100,000 8.3 percent

$100,000-$200,000 27.3 percent

$200,000-$500,000 24.7 percent

$500,0000-$1 million 10.4 percent

more than $1 million 24.8 percent

The first thing that is apparent is that people who earn more than $200,000 already pay 60 percent of federal income taxes.

www.taxpolicycenter.org...
edit on 28-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join