It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Service to Self is better than Service to Others (Please read before judging!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Are you sure you read the entire original post? No where did I paint a "light" and "black" light. I even said that by doing what you want for yourself you will be happier and people will notice your happiness when you interact with them influencing them to be happy.

Your post doesnt come across happy it comes across angry. Are you genuinely a happier person?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Why should I do the DIS-service of serving people when I can BETTER serve them by teaching them to be strong and NOT depending on others?
reply to post by arpgme

When have you evever taught someone to be strong? What have you done in that space? Its easy to talk on here but where is your track record??

edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: ok we have moved her back over the castle wall in retreat!

edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: i say her because her avatar is in pink text.

It is better to teach a man to fish than to provide a fish dinner.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I learn helping people and I love giving them the wisdom that I learn, but do you know WHY I do it? Because "I" do not like ignorance, so in my own selfish desire for KNOWLEDGE I learn and THEN - as a RESULT - I share with others...

Well i dont like fishing!
the thread author still has to tell her examples of how she shares her wisdom with people. Any one can come on ATS and make a thread and proclaim anything. They can say their jesus christ himself. I have no argument with that. If someone proclaims something staunchly as being the truth then at least be ready to back up arguments with some form of evidence. How does the author help people learn..give us examples of how this has or isbeing achieved????

edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: ill open my mind if you are willing to do so also!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
When you focus on strength of yourself:
You begin to love yourself instead of hate and become less likely to judge others...

Thanks for this, made me think. Hate myself two and know there is a easy solution, this could be it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimens

There in no easy solution in life!. Anywords you read that lead you to that conclusion means they are probably incorrect.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn
What the OP is trying to say, I guess, is that whatever you do, you do it for yourself. Whatever you do, you do it in order to be consistent with your own values. If you spend your life helping others without thinking one second for yourself, you do it to be in accordance with your own values, you do it because you have a certain idea of living life and you want to be in accordance to that idea, to yourself, to your values. If you give your life to save the lives of 50 children in a burning school, you do it because this is your idea of "honor", because this is your idea of how things should happen, your idea of how a life should be lived, and you want to be consistent with that. At the end of the day, it is always you, your ideas, your values and being consistent with yourself, with your ideas and your values. If you make a gift to your own mother, you do it for yourself. I would say that others are merely the mirrors of yourself. In other words, when it comes to the why we do things, to the motivation, it is always selfish, but it should be separated from the "result" (whether others benefit from your actions or not). The motivation is always selfish, the result of that motivation is another story.

Everyone agrees with that ?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to [url= by arpgme[/url]

read Ayn Rand much....?

upon deep reflection you will discover these 2 things:
1- service is always done for the self. Even in helping others you are working within your own world. I know this after 4 years of Americorps and 1 full year at Habitat in Georgia.
2- there is no distinction between self and other. "Ignorance" means denial of this fact. Meditate.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

yes i agree with what you said. I disagree however the correct phrase for describing this is selfish. I would describe is as actions of the self. If you had authored the thread we wouldnt of gotten off the rails so badly.
edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

2- there is no distinction between self and other. "Ignorance" means denial of this fact. Meditate.
reply to post by IandEye

I liked point 1. But point 2 was just too esteroical for this thread!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

In reality there is no 'other'.
Until you know this you will always separate life into good/bad, right/wrong, them/us.
Until you know there is no other you will suffer the conflict of not knowing what way to be.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The other is the self becoming formless. Anyone who reaches that point doesnt need Ats to tell them whats whats!

edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: i came i saw and i conquered!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The other is the self becoming formless. Anyone who reaches that point doesnt need Ats to tell them whats whats!

edit on 27-8-2012 by AthlonSavage because: i came i saw and i conquered!

Emptiness is form.

There is no other - there is only this.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Your just playing with words. You talk the talk but do your walk the walk!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

a thread is lineal with a certain length and function. The original post planted the seed that brought us here and that includes her self or him self. you prefer someone else explanation but it is all related to the same seed or the same thread. Even what inspired the original poster is different from what was written, none the less, the seed is growing as each of us water it. The self watering a message about it self.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
go back to the original title, service to self is better than service to others. service to self is exactly the same as service to others. If you understand it in the right manner. greedy or self serving is another matter.
edit on 27-8-2012 by ancientthunder because: a double post happened

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Your just playing with words. You talk the talk but do your walk the walk!

Is there a particular way that you would like to see me walk??

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

selfish stuff....a double post....I like threads which follow the form of a lace which we can collectively tie togther all the loose ends. The initiating post had so many loose ends than a shoe lace on camel!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I know what the OP is trying to say, but I wouldn't call that "Service to Self." I agree that first you have to love yourself (not in a narcissistic way, but accepting yourself the way you are), then you can change yourself to become a role model for others. That's not STS for me, that's just part of doing "Service to Others." After all, the only person you can really change and control is you, and if you make "your little light shine," it'll work for the betterment of all.

However, that doesn't mean to just go ahead and be a selfish bastard -- indulging yourself and your every whim and truly loving and accepting yourself (and then from there loving and accepting others) are two very different things. The first is what most people do and what has led our society where it is now, the latter is the way to create a better world -- starting with the one person you can change, you.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Well since we are essentially a form of nothing..how about out of an open window, or better stiill through a closed one!...then i may believe your theories.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Very interesting. Because a parasite does not give "To YOU" you assume that it does not give at all. Now that is really selfish (which is very ironic since you seem to be against STS). Parasites give by taking from you to create eggs to create more parasite life.

What? That's called 'producing', not giving.

Like I already said before, it is impossible to take without giving back. If you do things for yourself and become happy, when you talk to others, people will sense your happiness and you will influence them.

When people sense your happiness is due to selfishness, you will only influence them to avoid you.

Tell me, would you enjoy the company of a selfish person?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join