It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Service to Self is better than Service to Others (Please read before judging!)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The world needs both.Neither is better than the other.Service to self is partially the reason why our Earth is so F'd up.
Did you think about that OP?
Too much service to self takes away from others.
You have to be respectful to yourself and others.
Afterall aren't we all stuck living a Life?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Think about it. Service to others is slavery. Service to self is FREEDOM. You get to choose what you want in your own life, and do whatever you want, you don't have to be spinning on your head to make others happy.

People need confidence in themselves, and to be independent and NOT depending on others...

Give a man a fish...
Teach a man to fish...
and all that.

www.mentoring.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Service to others isn't always to make others happy. Sometimes it's to build a community or to help those less fortunate. You don't think a Fireman or a Police Officer is a slave, do you? It is always a good idea to try to teach others that you help to learn how to help themselves, but you can only lead a horse to water...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
reply to post by followtheevidence

We have, at least most of us have, evolved into a stage where survival is no longer the primary instinct. Yes, it's still there. But beneath our other instincts.
You know, those instincts that makes us want to help those in need, without the desire for recompense. And certainly not feeling we are in Service of others. A most strange turn of phrase.

Nonsense we have to survive by different standards. Survival means paying the bills car note mortgage tuition etc. Most of us have not evolved from survival.

My motto is help people except those that wont help themselves. Helping useless people is a fruitless pursuit. If your not trying I can't try for you.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

i edited that BS i wrote

that reply was a bad idea, yall be cool

im sorry
edit on 31-8-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: im a fool

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
'service to self, service to others' i thought this crap got railroaded of the net 10 yrs ago.
guess the GFL is still going strong.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The OP has presented valid points, but his Path and arguments seem twisted and thus questionable.

All to obviously, service to the Self is the beginning point simply because you must first save yourself before attempting (or able) to save someone else. One must find their own Self first and toss out an anchor before before becoming able to save some of the passing Souls.

Probably a good starting point with that is to define the "Self" because everything else falls into place behind that single Truth... which hasn't been addressed thus far and is probably unknown by this group.

As for the "do as thy wilt" philosophy... what's so occult or difficult to understand about that? Do whatever you want to do... with the caveat "hurt no one and nothing." Totally anti-Christian but describes life goals for those who intend to learn something... or come to understand the meaning of life.

It's a philosophy found in many Eastern religions, like Buddhism for example.

After one truly connects with their Self the decision to serve others (or not) can then be made with all the facts. Some people reach Enlightenment and are simply unwilling to waste time or energy on Lemmings and Philistines and feel no duty toward those who will not help themselves.

And reading many of the comments herein it isn't difficult to understand that reasoning and that maybe so many are called because so few are chosen.

edit on 31-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Being service to others is better than service to yourself. Being service to others is a form of love. Being service to yourself is a form of selfishness.

To teach is to learn and to learn is to teach. If you cannot teach, where are you learning?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Whats wrong with depending on other people, we all do it.maybe it`s the level of dependency that some people have a problem with?

new born babies are very dependent on other people.
Disabled people are very dependent on other people.
we all are very dependent on farmers to keep us feed.

If you don`t feel that you are able to help others then don`t do it, let the people who are better suited for that type of thing do it. If you feel that while you are depending on farmers and many others to keep you alive that you are not capable or able to give something back and help others, then just don`t do it.Just continue to only look out for yourself and be thankful that there are many others that are willing to give something back and help keep you alive while you are looking out only for yourself.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance
The world needs both.Neither is better than the other.Service to self is partially the reason why our Earth is so F'd up.
Did you think about that OP?
Too much service to self takes away from others.
You have to be respectful to yourself and others.
Afterall aren't we all stuck living a Life?

Actually, I came to the conclusion that it is the exact opposite. People giving their power away and NOT being service to self is the reason things like Hitler and The Milgram Experiment can happen.

Once people take back their power and stop letting other people control them (by giving service), then things would be better.

Originally posted by Kino321
'service to self, service to others' i thought this crap got railroaded of the net 10 yrs ago.
guess the GFL is still going strong.

No one here even mentioned the GFL...

Originally posted by Brown Bear

As for the "do as thy wilt" philosophy... what's so occult or difficult to understand about that? Do whatever you want to do... with the caveat "hurt no one and nothing." Totally anti-Christian but describes life goals for those who intend to learn something... or come to understand the meaning of life.

It's a philosophy found in many Eastern religions, like Buddhism for example.

This is not a philosophy of Buddhism. In Buddhism, one of the main virtues is having compassion for all beings, but NOT having an attachment to anyone or thing. Getting rid of desire. So, getting 'rid of desire' does not really sound like 'do as thy wilt'.

Originally posted by TitanBCE
Being service to others is better than service to yourself. Being service to others is a form of love.

It is also a form of slavery depending on the situation.

Being service to yourself is a form of selfishness

So what? Being healthy is a form of selfishness. Eating delicious food is a form of selfishness. All things done for self is selfishness, right, so what?

To teach is to learn and to learn is to teach. If you cannot teach, where are you learning?

So, are you saying to serve of others is to serve self? If this is true, then it MUST also be true that to serve self is also to serve others, so why such resistance to such an idea?

A person can be learning without intending to teach, just because you do not intend to doesn't mean that you 'cannot'.

Originally posted by Tardacus
Whats wrong with depending on other people, we all do it.maybe it`s the level of dependency that some people have a problem with?

new born babies are very dependent on other people.
Disabled people are very dependent on other people.

Exactly. The WEAK are dependent on others. Do you choose to stay weak or do you choose to grow strong? Even a baby will depend on others less and less as they grow older.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It is also a form of slavery depending on the situation.

Not when it is mutually beneficial. Whenever I help people, I have always left with a good feeling.

So what? Being healthy is a form of selfishness. Eating delicious food is a form of selfishness. All things done for self is selfishness, right, so what?

No, not all things done for self is selfish. But never doing anything for others is.

So, are you saying to serve of others is to serve self? If this is true, then it MUST also be true that to serve self is also to serve others, so why such resistance to such an idea?

Yes, to serve others is to serve self. In some cases, sure, serving yourself may be service to others.

A person can be learning without intending to teach, just because you do not intend to doesn't mean that you 'cannot'.

True.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I read every word of your post. My comment was not ignorant but perhaps I was unable to interpret what it was you were trying to convey.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join