It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford biologist and computer scientist discover the 'Anternet'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

I wonder if this could qualify in some respects as an example of Convergent Evolution; where two unrelated lineages develop similar traits/strategies.

Perhaps ants are the very pinnacle of evolution, and we're all just ants waiting to happen?
I mean, look at all this social network emphasis, and the greater prevalence of homogenous trending across social networks effecting societal behaviorisms.

Yup. We're all becoming ants.

Reminds me of this Hopi quote about the "ant people."

Basically, 'Mankind will eventually take it's rightful place with the ants.'

Will try to find the actually quote now. It's pretty in league with the moral of this thread.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yeah, give it up for nature which we derive all technology from in abstract ways. Look at a car, 4 wheels, two headlights, a body, an engine and an exhaust system. Like an quadraped. If you look at a car head on, you'll even see a face made from the headlights and grill. Some even smile, or sneer or just have a dumbfounded look. LOL
reply to post by InfiniteConsciousness

It's called Pareidolia, and yeah, it's all in your head.

My car does not look like anything but a car, no matter how much my puny human brain tells me it looks like a hot 20-something girl wearing... ah nevermind.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I see roaches do this all the time.

All the time, hun? Must suck to live in your neighborhood.

RE: the OP....very interesting. This calls into question, to me, the ability to claim "intellectual rights" to technological concepts. The one thing that is for certain: math is math, and no one "invents" any kind of math. Math is math, it was invented by the universe. We all just use it

Kind of like Apple claiming copyright on "Slide to unlock" features. Slide to unlock doors have been around since before biblical times. The doorknob is a fancy variation on the concept.

you cant patent something naturally occouring in nature (unless your monsanto? howd they manage that)
and although i agree that math is a "constant" i wouldn't agree that unique forms of math are patentable, if they serve a purpose,
the idea of "owning" math to me is silly

IP in this case is only valuable because the whole collective uses it (ants)
so in this aspect i agree with the ants,

any system or math that is useful for the whole cant be owned by one member of the collective.

a us president once said,
an idea good enough to benefit society, should not be held hostage for personal gain.

dont get me wrong, an idea that benefits all humanity should be respected and the inventor should be rewarded proportionally to the benefit,

but the whole society should determine the benefit and the reward.

always good to see you bud

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
The TCP/IP protocol is also a mirror of how DNA communicate in cellular mechanisms.

very interesting idea,
do you know what the details are ?
you have my interest spiked

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

I wonder if this could qualify in some respects as an example of Convergent Evolution; where two unrelated lineages develop similar traits/strategies.

i would say the fundamental solution was found by separate groups because it works.

Perhaps ants are the very pinnacle of evolution, and we're all just ants waiting to happen?
I mean, look at all this social network emphasis, and the greater prevalence of homogenous trending across social networks effecting societal behaviorisms.

Yup. We're all becoming ants.

i wonder if we needed the internet as a form of information patterning, to enable our society to more resemble the ants on a platform where all are equal on a social network,
so that we can co-operate in a similar manner to the way ant societies behave.

maybe the internet will allow our civilisation to evolve to be more like the ants?

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
reply to post by XPLodER

What a stupid thread.

It's like saying monkeys invented the tv show Tarzan because they
Swung from trees in the jungle.

while your analogy sure is interesting,
i think i trust the scientists more than your conjecture on this one.

have you studied computer science?
how about ant hives?

so i think you should re read the article,
gain some insight and try again

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

i think the ants are super geniuses,
they are just not show offs

Reminds me of this Hopi quote about the "ant people."

Basically, 'Mankind will eventually take it's rightful place with the ants.'

Will try to find the actually quote now. It's pretty in league with the moral of this thread.

i wounder if the internet will enable us to be more like the ants,
some of my friends call the net "the hive mind of humanity"

so one day we might acually work together like ants

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The article does not say that the ants "invented" TCP/IP or anything of the sort. It is cool that their communication system mimics our system for routing packets between networks, that is all. Nature finds the path of least resistance, as humans we strive for the same thing so it's natural for parallels to be drawn between us and nature.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by XPLodER

The article does not say that the ants "invented" TCP/IP or anything of the sort. It is cool that their communication system mimics our system for routing packets between networks, that is all. Nature finds the path of least resistance, as humans we strive for the same thing so it's natural for parallels to be drawn between us and nature.

i think we had to invent tcp/ip to become as precise with our resources as the ants,

i just find it very interesting that the two systems function in a similar manner,
and that they arose independently.
maby some more parallels in our society with theirs would be beneficial?

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

Originally posted by troubleshooter
The TCP/IP protocol is also a mirror of how DNA communicate in cellular mechanisms.

very interesting idea,
do you know what the details are ?
you have my interest spiked

xploder

Here is one outline of this concept...
www.cosmicfingerprints.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

A friendly reminder...

This is a good time to remind you all that ATS is first and foremost a conspiracy site and that speculation -- no matter how outrageous -- plays an important role in that.

This great site of ours has been built on the cornerstone of civility and decorum. As members, we are free to discuss any issue as long as it within the parameters of the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when registering with this site.

On that note, please confine your remarks to the issue at hand and refrain from attacking one another. Adherence to this simple request is expected. No exceptions.

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

Consider this fair warning.

Now about those ants...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

thanks for the link,
i read it to the end

i love the encode decode nature of the DNA structure,
i does remind me of information transport requirements,

cool how the same rules apply with internet and intercell

xploder

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

thanks for the link,
i read it to the end

i love the encode decode nature of the DNA structure,
i does remind me of information transport requirements,

cool how the same rules apply with internet and intercell

xploder

I have seen another reference that showed how it requires eight 'levels' of organization to send a communication between two points on the Internet and how these eight 'levels' also enable cells to function. I will see if I can find it and post here.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

thank you i would like to take a look at this also

i love reading about this stuff

xploder

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
So what?

All they are saying is that the behavior of ants resembles the way the internet works. No big deal. You had to know ants can communicate in some way. I see roaches do this all the time.

This is how the government throws money away for so called scientists researching stuff that gives us more useless knowledge.

No, the way the internet works resembles ant behavior. There's a huge difference. Just like the way a plane flies resembles bird aerodynamics etc. If it weren't for the scientists researching 'this stuff' we would be far less advanced as society.

So give it up for the ants will ya

You got a lot more stars than I did for this post but that just shows how stupid people are on ATS. Your post is bunk because - The government didn't design the internet by reverse engineering ant behavior or by studying these ants.. it was simply noticed after the fact.

In the case of birds and planes, they did look to birds first to come up with a wing design for airplanes. That's not happening here. The ants had nothing to do with how the internet works. It's just a silly coincidence. If it's even true. If there were never any ants, we would still have the internet. And.. who's to say how correct in his assumptions this so called scientist is?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by InfiniteConsciousness

That's a human conjectural perspective. There is no way for us to know anything about what goes on in the mind of an ant. Just because we observe something and make assumptions doesn't bear out any real truth on the matter.

It's baseless speculation akin to asserting that birds need figure out the science behind aerodynamics before they can fly. Correlation != causation.

Take quantum physics for example.

I'm not following. Can you expand on this?
edit on 27-8-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

Because we observe and measure a point in a wave, creates the idea of a particle. But, we believe it's a particle because we observe and measure it, as such. The reality is, we simply cannot know with any certainty, at all, what we're observing and measuring is truly a particle. If we measure multiple points in the wave at the same time, the particle is in multiple locations at the same time, isn't it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join