It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A letter to ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Dear ATS,

I have not known you long but I watched you for a time before deciding to introduce myself. You were so wise and intelligent and I wanted to be a part of your life. You showed me things that were beautiful, interesting, and unique and you forced me to look at myself and the world around me. You showed me how to be more truthful to myself. But now you’ve changed. Something has happened to you and your brilliance is shining less each day. I wish I could do more to help you through your turbulent and trying times. I worry that soon I will not even be able to recognize you and what you are slowly becoming. I miss having that bright shining beacon that made you stand out from the rest. I truly hope for your full recovery and you once again shine as bright as you once did. I will be there for you for as long as I can. After all, that is what a caring friend does. But I don’t know how long that can last. You use to show me the way, but now you are lost and I do not wish to become lost with you. I will try to hold you up for as long as I can, but a person, unless they wish to share the same fate, can only show so much support until finally they have to move on.

Wishing you the best on your long hard road ahead,

-AeonStorm-

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Your join date is one day earlier than mine, so I know that you are aware that people have been posting about this since before we both joined. I think ATS is like a Christmas present. When you first open it and discover what's inside, you are enthralled by what you see. It's just so new and shiny...and new.

We dive in and read/soak up everything we can, take off our shoes and stay a while. One day we wake up and the new, shiny toy isn't that new or shiny anymore. We have used it until it holds no more surprises for us.

I believe this is what happens to all new members and that is why these threads keep popping up. Like a brand new relationship... we start seeing things differently when the lust wears off.

I get what you are saying, I just think it happens like that for everybody.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
My dear, it's not just ATS that is changing and being lost within its path; it is the world that is in a constant alteration and it's course is a never ending fractal.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

Anatole France

edit on 27-8-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

That was very heart felt...I must congress a guilty feeling,nah....that was pretty good though

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I understand what you are saying, Kang. But you have to admit that when we joined there was much more intelligent conversation and threads. I'm not saying that that doesn't still exist on this site but even you have to admit that the content has become much more mainstream and the divide between members has grown to the point where I'm actually seeing hatred. You wouldn't think that would happen on a site such as this (or at least I wouldn't think so anyway).

Thanks for your input,

-AS-

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
My dear, it's not just ATS that is changing and being lost within its path; it is the world that is in a constant alteration and it's course is a never ending fractal.

Things are definitely splinting at an ever increasing rate, in the world. I guess that it's only logical that it would spill onto the net.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I understand what you are saying, Kang. But you have to admit that when we joined there was much more intelligent conversation and threads. I'm not saying that that doesn't still exist on this site but even you have to admit that the content has become much more mainstream and the divide between members has grown to the point where I'm actually seeing hatred. You wouldn't think that would happen on a site such as this (or at least I wouldn't think so anyway).

Thanks for your input,

-AS-

The hate has definitely grown and I can see that. I am not sure why, but like you... I could live without it. I don't know if the stress of the economy is getting to folks, or if it's because conspiracies are becoming more mainstream and it's drawing people to this site. I guess it could be any number of reasons really. I am noticing more mainstream threads pertaining to politics, but it is an election year with tons at stake (to be expected) so I am hoping some normalcy with that will return when all is said and done.

Don't let it get you down either way. There are some good folks around here and in the end that is one of the main reasons I stay. The trolls would be happy for everyone to leave...and that makes you want to stay even more.

edit on 8/27/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Originally posted by AeonStorm

...your brilliance is shining less each day.

Thats because you're getting brighter.

I wish I could do more to help you through your turbulent and trying times.

When I feel this way, I sometimes realize that I could add more to the content if I do a little work and add it to threads. Dig, bring pics, add links. Make it interesting for others.

I miss having that bright shining beacon that made you stand out from the rest.

Still better than the rest. Might need to change filters more often.

You use to show me the way, but now you are lost and I do not wish to become lost with you.

Take a break?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I don't have much to add... Except that the Kangaroo has got it down pat. And also to suggest you read this very insightful and well thought out thread by one of the other members of staff. I think it speaks to your concerns directly and better than I am able to do.

Regarding change? It's simply part of life. It's evolution. Why we are wired to be so resistant to it, I do not know. One thing is for certain, however... It is change that lets us grow.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

From the side lines,that was very well put...your admired Mr

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
ATS is rather unique in one way and in this, it's a critical way, IMO. It's 100% and entirely User Driven content. So, if we all dislike the direction it's going, changing the nature or subject of the threads we're posting is how the direction changes.

Anyone can author them and it doesn't even have to be a current event. My President's thread wasn't particularly topical beyond where the progression of information led. Slayer69 is frequently popping up with the most interesting threads on the most unexpected topics. He's probably off working on one now....or thinking one up.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if it's sliding down, folks who feel that way can directly and personally effect it in a way I've never quite seen on a website before. Not at this scale, to be sure. Heck, I'd personally love to read and make more non-political threads.

I'm just at a loss for finding the neat stuff someone didn't already do. Happy or positive stories in the way of good news in current headlines seems to go over about as well as a fart in Church as I learned real early. A few of my first threads were trying to be happy and uplifting. Yeah.... Fail 101 learned and understood.

... so what can we do?

top topics

join