It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outbreak of Legionnaires disease in Quebec may be Biggest, Deadliest in Canada in last 25 yrs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Outbreak of Legionnaires disease in Quebec may be Biggest, Deadliest in Canada in last 25 yrs

www.montrealgazet te.com

Quebec City’s outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease — which has claimed six lives — is believed to be the biggest and deadliest in Canada in the last 25 years.

As of Saturday, a total of 102 people have been infected by the Legionella pneumophila bacteria, which is suspected to have contaminated cooling towers in an undetermined number of office buildings in the provincial capital.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
fr.canoe.ca

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just saw this in one french local news
they say people are panicking about this new outbreak
and many pharmacy his rushing to meet the extremely rare demand of some medicine

im living in Quebec .. but i will not be scared easy
and no vacines for me thats for sure

Update : 8 deads and 104 infected
is it me of the SHTF pretty soon .. so many catastrophe
and weird outbreak and shooting

This LEGIONnaire outbreak appearing out of nowhere
is very odd .. if i knew better someone release this thing on purpose

scary days ahead .. keep Faith !

www.montrealgazet te.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Interesting development.
Maybe some of our Northern cousins could chime in since we have a large Canadian group of members?
Thanks for posting

S & F

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Ben81

Interesting development.
Maybe some of our Northern cousins could chime in since we have a large Canadian group of members?
Thanks for posting

S & F

Thank you .. yes this has completely got me by surprise
but the timing couldnt be more perfect ...we also have a dictatorship in Quebec
wonder why we have been protesting in the street for months

Montreal Martial Law Bill 78 Passes - Backlash was Immediate; Massive Civil Disobedience

Jean Charest our dear Prime Minister = Obama

edit on 8/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
for people that dont know about this desease .. if i knew better LEGION
can be associated with the black death in a way

Legionellosis is a potentially fatal infectious disease caused by gram negative, aerobic bacteria belonging to the genus Legionella.[1][2] Over 90% of legionellosis cases are caused by Legionella pneumophila, a ubiquitous aquatic organism that thrives in temperatures between 25 and 45 °C (77 and 113 °F), with an optimum temperature of 35 °C (95 °F).[3]

Legionellosis takes two distinct forms:

Legionnaires' disease, also known as "legion fever",[4] is the more severe form of the infection and produces high fever and pneumonia.[5][6]
Pontiac fever is caused by the same bacteria but produces a milder respiratory illness without pneumonia that resembles acute influenza.[5] Pontiac fever also has a spontaneous resolution.
Legionnaires' disease acquired its name in July 1976 when an outbreak of pneumonia occurred among people attending a convention of the American Legion at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia. On January 18, 1977 the causative agent was identified as a previously unknown strain of bacteria, subsequently named Legionella. Some people can be infected with the Legionella bacteria and have only mild symptoms or no illness at all.

Wikipedia Link

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This is quite alarming and wonder why they are hitting Canada. Harper sell us out or anything? Because we have a good system, good banking, good medical and they just hate this.

Well I recommend everyone take 50 mgs not mcgs either MG's, or more, of iodide, and 3-5 grams of C or whatever you can bear to take past 1 gram amount and plenty of D. And lots of water, with lemon in it. Need it for the radiation too. And everything else they throw at us.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

is very odd ..

Very odd. They normally warn us in advance about this sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimoniousfinale

Originally posted by Ben81

is very odd ..

Very odd. They normally warn us in advance about this sort of thing.

I have read somewhere that in reality this desease is just another version of Ebola
you see how they fool the mass .. by naming a same desease with many different names
this look very unusual and people are panicking already buying some medecine
the pharmacist say they never see such rush in their life to buy medecine like that in Quebec

i have read there is also a few cases appearing in UK

this is clearly not natural .. desease are spreading because they want them to spread

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I don't have much knowledge of Legionnaires disease yet, in the future I hope to have time to study everything that others know about it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Thankfully Legionnaires disease is not contagious from human to human and the source of the outbreak has been found in some cooling towers of the office buildings so this should be under control very shortly. It's too bad so many got infected and that there were some fatalities.

Is Legionnaires' disease contagious?

Legionnaires' disease is not contagious. No special precautions are necessary. The disease is transmitted via drinking water, not by infected persons. (So it differs from SARS and influenza where masks must be worn). Likewise, women who are pregnant and their fetuses have nothing to fear from patients with Legionnaires' disease.

I have family in Montreal and Ottawa so if this were contagious I would be very worried as these cities are connected via many different ways mostly business, but it's also tourist season so if this were contagious like most other bugs we would have a lot more to worry about.

This should be under control soon unless there are other contamininated sources.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Very good, thanks for posting....Imma follow this one!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Nobody is hitting Canada for anything, Legionaries outbreaks happen from time to time everywhere, stagnant water is the problem. We've had two locally, the source of the first was actually the hospitals air conditioning, the second happened only a few weeks back, the source being a hot tub on display at a large store/warehouse. I even walked past it myself, some woman shoved her fingers into it and flicked the water about. 6 dead 18 seriously ill.

Vaccines?..looool seriously don't panic, you just need better checks on your air conditioning.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I guess I don't have to worry about Legionnaires disease. My immune system is so strong I have to try to keep it from killing me or eating me alive. Maybe I need to give it something to fight so it doesn't keep playing it's war games with my own body.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Nobody is hitting Canada for anything, Legionaries outbreaks happen from time to time everywhere, stagnant water is the problem. We've had two locally, the source of the first was actually the hospitals air conditioning, the second happened only a few weeks back, the source being a hot tub on display at a large store/warehouse. I even walked past it myself, some woman shoved her fingers into it and flicked the water about. 6 dead 18 seriously ill.

Vaccines?..looool seriously don't panic, you just need better checks on your air conditioning.

That's just great. I stuck my fingers in a stagnant hot tub today...

Not even joking.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

they should know how to operate the air conditioning of buildings so as not get sick

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The offending tub here hadn't had it's water changed in about 3 years. Suppose they just never thought about it much just being a display. I did end up feeling crappy with a bad cough for a good 3 weeks after, but that was while they were still trying to find the source, so yeah I might have had Legionnaires and not known about it. I would be more susceptible to infection since I smoke, but lucky I'm younger than the usual age range of those affected.

Edit: I'm sorry I got the figures wrong previously. 21 people seem to have been infected only 2 died. A 64 year old man and another in his 70's.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The part that puzzles me is that Legionnaires disease is increasing. Why? It has always been out there but the increase in people being susceptible to it is rising. Our immune systems have been compromised to a point that we now have to fear coming in contact with it. Immune system blockers/suppressants are being over emphasized in our diet and medicines. The introduction of the BT gene in GMO food is triggering unnecessary immune system responses in people. The food companies are adding chemistry in their foods to dampen histamine reactions to the GM food. This means that the FDA is allowing immune system suppressants to be put into foods. Hmmm......Good time to buy medical industry stock....
edit on 28-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Tu fais bien, les vaccins seront sûrement des tests sur cobbaye de toute façon. Ici a Mtl personne n'en parle vraiment, je ne crois pas que se soit si grave que ça.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Potential sources of such contaminated water include cooling towers (some 40% to 60% of ones tested[14]) used in industrial cooling water systems as well as in large central air conditioning systems, evaporative coolers, nebulizers, humidifiers, whirlpool spas, hot water systems, showers, windshield washers[15], architectural fountains, room-air humidifiers, ice making machines, misting equipment, and similar disseminators that draw upon a public water supply.

The disease may also be transmitted from contaminated aerosols generated in hot tubs if the disinfection and maintenance program is not done rigorously.[16] Freshwater ponds, creeks, and ornamental fountains are potential sources of Legionella.[17] The disease is particularly associated with hotels, fountains, cruise ships and hospitals with complex potable water systems and cooling systems.

The guidance issued by the UK government's Health and Safety Executive (HSE) now recommends that microbiological monitoring for wet cooling systems, using a dipslide, should be performed weekly. The guidance now also recommends that routine testing for legionella bacteria in wet cooling systems be carried out at least quarterly, and more frequently when a system is being commissioned, or if the bacteria have been identified on a previous occasion.[28]

Further non-statutory UK guidance from the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme now exists for pre-heating of water in applications such as solar water heating systems. www.wras.co.uk...

The City of Garland, Texas requires yearly testing for legionella bacteria at cooling towers at apartment buildings.[29]

Malta requires twice yearly testing for Legionella bacteria at cooling towers and water fountains. Malta prohibits the installation of new cooling towers and evaporative condensers at health care facilities and schools.[30]

The Texas Department of State Health Services has provided guidelines for hospitals to detect and prevent the spread of nosocomial infection due to legioneCopper-Silver ionization is an effective industrial control and prevention process to eradicate Legionella in potable water distribution systems and cooling towers found in health facilities, hotels, nursing homes and most large buildings. In 2003, ionization became the first such hospital disinfection process to have fulfilled a proposed four-step modality evaluation; by then it had been adopted by over 100 hospitals.[33] Additional studies indicate ionization is superior to thermal eradication.[34]

A 2011 study by Lin, Stout and Yu [35][3] found Copper-Silver ionization to be the only Legionella control technology which has been validated through a 4 step scientific approach.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Only people above 70 or so are dying, just FYI

also cases in Chicago as well

top topics

<<   2 >>

join