It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control: Constitutional Rules

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Originally posted by roadgravel
How often is any gun store robbed? I doubt if the successful count is greater than one.

In most gun stores I have found the store clerks open carry. In NY, open carry is illegal, so I'm wondering how is it legal for them to open carry? I would certainly want to open carry if I owned or worked in a gun shop. I wonder if Castle Doctrine applies to a store or shop?

The gun store is considered private property. So, even though it is open to the public, it is not considered open carry in public.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

After everything, people are still refusing to accept that those who wrote the constitution had no foresight that American citizens would have access to weapons capable of murdering hundreds of people per minute from a distance.

No matter how many times people scream about the constitution, it is idiotic to apply it so generally.

It's not that simple, this is 2012, there are guns capable of horrors that would give your forefathers instant heart attacks! If they could see the kind of damage Americans can do to others in the street with their blessed guns they would be ashamed of themselves for not wording it very differently and making sure you all didn't have the capability to murder in the way that you now do.

If any American thinks the constitution would be written in the same way now, with the kinds of weaponry and social makeup you have, they're completely delusional! No sane human would allow such weapons to be in public hands.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

It had much to do with the ability to keep the government in check. By today's standard, the citizen has lost ground.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

After everything, people are still refusing to accept that those who wrote the constitution had no foresight that American citizens would have access to weapons capable of murdering hundreds of people per minute from a distance.

No matter how many times people scream about the constitution, it is idiotic to apply it so generally.

It's not that simple, this is 2012, there are guns capable of horrors that would give your forefathers instant heart attacks! If they could see the kind of damage Americans can do to others in the street with their blessed guns they would be ashamed of themselves for not wording it very differently and making sure you all didn't have the capability to murder in the way that you now do.

If any American thinks the constitution would be written in the same way now, with the kinds of weaponry and social makeup you have, they're completely delusional! No sane human would allow such weapons to be in public hands.

Ever see what an antique muzzle loading cannon full of grape shot can do? Don't think, even for a second, that the Founders didn't understand the horrors of war. The 2nd Amendment was written to make sure that there was parity between the weapons that the government had and the weapons that the citizens had.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment wasn't so grown men could have toys. It was to provide a counter balance to the tyranny that they KNEW would encroach on the people. Founder after founder mentioned things like how a good republic could only be maintained by spilling blood periodically. Rights are things that you only get when you are able to secure them for yourself.

The idea was that any weapon that the government had access to could not be with held from The People, to ensure that our tyrants would be kept in check. Were the Founders to be writing this today, they may have limited the weapons that their own forces could weild, thus removing nukes from the docket As well, they likely would have written wording to absolutely forbid a standing Army. I would posit that they believed that they had done this, actually.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I think the writers of the constitution were intentionally vague in the area of type of arms so that the passage of time wouldn't neuter the 2nd ammendment. But either way both of our ideas are just speculation

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Absolute BS. A gun is a gun. The idea that the 2nd was created, with the musket in mind and that is it is also BS. Don't forget, there were other weapons of the day, which included several types of Canons.

Please, go back to the Brady Camp, as the tired old BS is......well, tired and old.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

As others have stated in response to your post above, ever see what a hachet or hand axe does to a person's scalp? Every wonder how many pieces a morning star or mace will split your skull into? Weapons of human destruction were nothing short of brutal and devastating. They understood war. They knew violence. They knew exactly what they were doing when they placed the Right to Bear Arms in the Bill of Rights; the individual's rights. They left Britain because of oppression. They understood the need to rebel and initiate revolution. The Gatling gun was created in the 1860's, that's less than 100 years after the Revolutionary War. Around the same time, smooth-bore rifles also transformed to true rifle-rifles, improving rate of fire and accuracy. Believe me, they understood where weaponary and firearms were progressing to. Don't tell me they didn't know what they were doing. I'm not buying it in the least. Anyone believing otherwise is naive.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I have the opportunity to take a CCW class in the next couple of weeks. My angst is caused by my feeling that if I apply for a CCW, I am ceding my right to bear arms. By filing, I admit that I must be regulated. I do not agree with that statement at all, and am not sure if a I will take the CCW class.

Are you placed in a state-wide database if you obtain a CCW? What is the process for a non-CCW permit? In NY, you are registered whether you have a CCW or not.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Mr. Zakaria also included in his plagarized article that Congress passed several federal laws regulating licensing of firearms. President Roosevelt's solicitor general remarked that the 2nd Amendment, "is not one which may be utilized for private purposes but only one which exists where the arms are borne in the militia or some other military organization provided for by law and intended for the protection of the state." Well, just because a politician or lawmaker, or court make a ruling does that change what's in our Constitution. That's not equal to an Amendment ratification. Better try next time.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus

I think the writers of the constitution were intentionally vague in the area of type of arms so that the passage of time wouldn't neuter the 2nd ammendment. But either way both of our ideas are just speculation

Our ideas may be speculation, but what was written, what is in print is literal. And such, is Constitutional Law. It's the law of the land.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus

Our ideas may be speculation, but what was written, what is in print is literal. And such, is Constitutional Law. It's the law of the land.

Fortunately, we don't have to speculate much. The Founders left volumes of written material explaining the reasons behind what they did and what they intended to accomplish.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
you're going to compare canada and great britain to the maniacs that live in the u.s.

you can get a gun in canada and great britain just as legally as you can in the u.s.

you have to do a little more paper work, but as long as you aren't a convicted felon and have a few friends to vouche for you, you can have pretty much have every weapon an american can get.

america society is rotten to the core, and instead of blaming yourselves you blame guns and laws.

there are no half measures to gun control.

you either ban them all, close down all weapon manufacturers like colt and s&w, ban all importation, including ammo plus the penalty for possession of a weapon gets you an automatic 1-5 year sentence or you keep the current system.

americans are also very susceptible to outside influences from a young age, conditioned to television, movies and culture since practically birth.

it is a unique n. american phenomenon.

you hero worship almost anybody, you make idols of other human beings.

imagine worshipping a guy because he taps a little white ball in a hole. he has no other skill but that. its sad and somehow he is followed like he is their god.

it takes more skill to make a bird house than it does to tap a golf ball 3 feet from a hole.

america needs to grow up and mature allot.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
All we need to do is think as the founders would of done which is whatever the military have the populace can have but i suppose stacking nukes next to the beer at walmart may be a bit cause alot of the america's to become radiated areas but hey its legal so lets enjoy the mushroom clouds

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I have the opportunity to take a CCW class in the next couple of weeks. My angst is caused by my feeling that if I apply for a CCW, I am ceding my right to bear arms. By filing, I admit that I must be regulated. I do not agree with that statement at all, and am not sure if a I will take the CCW class.

Are you placed in a state-wide database if you obtain a CCW? What is the process for a non-CCW permit? In NY, you are registered whether you have a CCW or not.

Yes, and if you have a CCW you can avoid some paperwork when buying a gun. If i want to buy a pistol it takes me about 2 hours to do. If i have a CCW, presumably, that time is reduced to some degree. What that degree is, I have no idea.

But being tracked is another concern of mine. I have even considered having a stash box buried and fortified with cinderblock to help secure it, just in case

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What about the anti gun politicial who wanted to take everyones guns away but protected his home from an intruder with wait for it... A gun.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
you're going to compare canada and great britain to the maniacs that live in the u.s.
Even maniacs begin their sentences with capital letters.

you can get a gun in canada and great britain just as legally as you can in the u.s.
True.

you have to do a little more paper work, but as long as you aren't a convicted felon and have a few friends to vouche for you, you can have pretty much have every weapon an american can get.
Having people vouche for you. That could only work in a country like Canada.

america society is rotten to the core, and instead of blaming yourselves you blame guns and laws.
You have just ignorantly misrepresented your country, but accurately described yourself.

there are no half measures to gun control.
If they made sense, then yes you could.

you either ban them all, close down all weapon manufacturers like colt and s&w, ban all importation, including ammo plus the penalty for possession of a weapon gets you an automatic 1-5 year sentence or you keep the current system.
I vote to keep the current system.

americans are also very susceptible to outside influences from a young age, conditioned to television, movies and culture since practically birth.
Quantifiably evidence for this statement? Of course not.

it is a unique n. american phenomenon.
Have you researched and written a peer-reviewed paper on this?

you hero worship almost anybody, you make idols of other human beings.
This can be found in every country, not just the United States. That is a fact.

imagine worshipping a guy because he taps a little white ball in a hole. he has no other skill but that. its sad and somehow he is followed like he is their god.
We also worship people who can write complete sentences, using appropriate grammar and paragraph organization.

it takes more skill to make a bird house than it does to tap a golf ball 3 feet from a hole.
This fragment should have been included in the fragment above.

america needs to grow up and mature allot.
This is too easy. You really put yourself out here on this one.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You certainly have some wild Ideas about american culture. It's too bad none of them are based in fact and are actually only relevant as an opinion. My opinion? Canada and GB have their problems too. Maybe you should be more critical of your locale.

American's having a conversation about their own laws is thinking critically about their rights. A person, from outside the US populace telling us how we should proceed on our laws? Or how we percieve our culture? That is ignorance. I dont try and lecture canadians or the british on their laws.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join