It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Gay Politician Injures 6 in Drunken Boating Accident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Del. Dwyer's career hurt by boating accident, experts say

Republican Del. Donald H. Dwyer Jr.'s political future is in question after he drunkenly piloted a speedboat that collided with another vessel and sent six people — including four children — to the hospital, political observers said Friday.

House Republican leaders in Annapolis issued a statement saying they are "troubled" by Dwyer's behavior, while House Speaker Michael E. Busch said the legislature's ethics committee would defer possible action until police are done investigating the accident. The committee has the authority to recommend sanctions ranging from reprimand to expulsion.

Close Annapolis observers said Dwyer's political career has been significantly damaged.

This is especially ironic (and reprehensibly hypocritical) because 4 of the 6 people injured were children. Don H Dwyer, a Maryland Republican hoping for re-election in November, is strongly against legalizing gay marriages and has made the statement that homosexuals are a ''threat' to children. His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit and the accident apparently was bad enough that the other boat sank. And one of the four injured children was flown away by helicopter to John Hopkins' in Baltimore.

Also, from lezgetreal.com:

Ironically, Dwyer pushed for a ballot measure to strip lawmakers of their office if they are found to have committed a serious crime. It goes before the voters in November, and if successful, could see Dwyer out of office due to having committed a potential felony.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Beautiful find and yes, very ironic the fact that he is pushing legislation that just may push his butt out of office. i love it.

Oh, and I hope all of his victims recover.... Sorry.
edit on 26-8-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: well wishes

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

While I'm not a fan of anybody who is biased or predisposed toward discriminatory practices... And while I feel great sympathy for the people hurt in the boating accident. I fail to connect the dots between driving a boat while under the influence and disliking gay people.

These seem like two separate and individual character flaws to me.

~Heff

edit on 8/26/12 by Hefficide because: missed an entire word... a whole word.. and they warned me that drinking while young would do this.. but did I listen?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

So you find it appropriate to dishonor the injuries of these children by making it a political, gay rights issue?

Driving drunk is wrong gay, straight, aethist, religious or anything in between. I promise your assertions aren't helping your cause.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I don't know. It may be that this is his biggest thing or what he's known for. I couldn't tell ya as this is the first time i ever heard of the guy.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I guess I fail to understand how his stance on gay marriage is at all relevant?
Seriously, it does not matter. People were in an accident. People were hurt, thats it.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It's a shame that these things should happen.
But it goes to show what sort of people we got in office.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I fail to connect the dots between driving a boat while under the influence and disliking gay people.

Exactly.

Likewise, if a gay person caused an accident, and a politician used that as ammo to push an agenda, the public would be outraged. Same here. A politician did something bad, but has nothing to do with his views on gays.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
OP, I admit it's the original story so not a personal blame on the obscene spin they put to this....but unless someone can explain what being Anti-Gay had to do with getting drunk and driving a boat right into a wreck, I'd say someone writing the originally story has an agenda it'd take my old 18 wheeler to haul around.

As another mentioned. Would I get away with saying ..say.... a Pro-Gay Politician got drunk and crashed his car into a bus stop, injuring several? Should I get away with such a thing? Unless my example got drunk in direct relation to pro-gay positions....like having just been at a party FOR that cause or something (and even that would be a huge stretch) I really would deserve a stomping for implying a connection, wouldn't I?

And....so does the media site that published that story as a political hack piece. The Anti-Gay angle is what turned it from a news story to a hack job.

edit on 26-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Corrected headline reference

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yea- Im sure hes feeling stupid right about now for what he did- as he should. Charges should be filed against him.
Dont they have a law about boating while intoxicated?

That said- Im suprised they didnt pull out the race card as well. Agenda much?

I forgot- election season.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think it's the irony of the situation that's being examined here - not his stance.

The irony being his claims that same-sex marriage is a "threat to children" yet his actions (and his alone) have proven a greater threat than the social bonding of 2 same-sex people.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It is not hypocritical and this thread and story are nonsense. I'm all for gay rights, I'm very against the operation of any motor vehicle if the operator is under the influence.

Let me give you a headline, and tell me if you think it's stupid. 'African American activist get's drunk and kills black people in car crash.'

I think the guys views on the gays are backwards and idiotic, but so is trying to say he's a hypocrite. He just seems an all around dumbass.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

While I'm not a fan of anybody who is biased or predisposed toward discriminatory practices... And while I feel great sympathy for the people hurt in the boating accident. I fail to connect the dots between driving a boat while under the influence and disliking gay people.

~Heff

edit on 8/26/12 by Hefficide because: missed an entire word... a whole word.. and they warned me that drinking while young would do this.. but did I listen?

It seems pretty clear in the OP to me.

His justification for opposing gay marriage of the protection CHILDREN.
Then he goes and hurts children breaking the law.
Surely he wants prohibition back and harsher punishments for people who violate these alcohol/driving laws?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

What his being "anti-gay" have to do with being drunk and crashing a boat?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I have great faith in humanity, but reading threads with this type of title tend to chip away at that faith.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

yes, OP, the irony is oooozing about with this story and although less than entertaining, it is blatantly obvious to those who are willing to see.

if we were to remove all of the "threats" to children, he'd be among the first to go.
being drunk is no excuse, it's a decision.

injury resulting from intended inebriation aren't accidents, they're an assault and in this case, with a deadly weapon.
of course, in one form or another, all of the other recreational boaters will pay for his accident

prayers for a speedy recovery for all who were injured.
prayers that this piss-poor decision-maker is relieved of any duty to decide anything.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It's relevant because he's a Republican.

Liberal media bias has to take any opportunity to bash them at every turn ya know?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I fail to connect the dots between driving a boat while under the influence and disliking gay people.

Ditto. I agree with that. The guy obviously has problems. We all do.
Trying to connect the two is partisan and silly, IMHO. There is no connection.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Hell, worse didn't hurt Ted Kennedy's. Man killed a woman and hid the fact.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

My thoughts exactly Heff... what in the heck does his disposition against gays have to do with his lack of judgement while boating!?

To me this reads like a vendetta post... as in, ha ha someone I don't agree with on X issue royally screwed up! Or is there some other agenda? Like maybe, You hoping that all people who don't agree with you on the issue of gays get people hurt in drunk botaing accidents?

In the LOGICAL world, we call this a Non Sequitur... where one point does not logically connect to the other.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join