It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before I found ATS my computer was mostly a jukebox.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Hi D-A!!
The cabin we have is fairly small, 800 square ft. So at first all we needed was lights, music, movies and computer. We also charged the battery operated tools.

I started with two medium grade panels that I bought used, $200 for the first $150 for the second. This was a great deal for what I got. I was in the right place at the right time and met some people that needed the money more than the panels.

Then I bought two car batteries. $70 each.

Then $90 for a nice new charge control module. You have to have this or your batteries will over charge.

Then I bought a cheap power inverter to convert the batteries to AC current. About $35 from Lowe's.

So that's around $600

As time went by I added two batteries. This basically doubled my "amp time'. In other words, with two batteries I could run lights, music etc. for about 8 hours. with 4 batteries now I'm up to 16 hours with the same load.

I also bought two more power inverters and had them supplying juice to three different zones in my house.
One for the bathroom, one for the kitchen area, one for the living/sleeping area.

This is not enough juice to run washing machines and things like that but it's better than reading by candle light. The next upgrade would be a high output inverter for appliances and 4 more batteries. For some reason you have to have 2,4,8,16,32,or 64 batteries, I had it explained once but it's over my head. Most modern houses would want 32 batteries at least. but we were roughing it.

We have a generator to crank up if we needed real juice like for my power tools.
It was really easy and I'm no genius I assure you.

The hot water was just a matter of running the water through black pipes on my roof, you'd be surprised how hot it got even in the winter.
edit on 13-9-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Tanda7,

You seem like a perfect addition to the ATS family. Lived off the grid, experienced half the stuff we're talking about. I see you going far here.

I look forward to seeing your posts in the threads!

Wow, one response from jplaysguitar and one from BASSPLYR, have you guys met? you should.

Thank you BASSPLYR,
(my uncle plays a vintage Rickenbacker)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7

Hi D-A!!
The cabin we have is fairly small, 800 square ft. So at first all we needed was lights, music, movies and computer. We also charged the battery operated tools.

I started with two medium grade panels that I bought used, $200 for the first $150 for the second. This was a great deal for what I got. I was in the right place at the right time and met some people that needed the money more than the panels.

Then I bought two car batteries. $70 each.

Then $90 for a nice new charge control module. You have to have this or your batteries will over charge.

Then I bought a cheap power inverter to convert the batteries to AC current. About $35 from Lowe's.

So that's around $600

As time went by I added two batteries. This basically doubled my "amp time'. In other words, with two batteries I could run lights, music etc. for about 8 hours. with 4 batteries now I'm up to 16 hours with the same load.

I also bought two more power inverters and had them supplying juice to three different zones in my house.
One for the bathroom, one for the kitchen area, one for the living/sleeping area.

This is not enough juice to run washing machines and things like that but it's better than reading by candle light. The next upgrade would be a high output inverter for appliances and 4 more batteries. For some reason you have to have 2,4,8,16,32,or 64 batteries, I had it explained once but it's over my head. Most modern houses would want 32 batteries at least. but we were roughing it.

We had a generator to crank up if we needed real juice like for my power tools.
It was really easy and I'm no genius I assure you.

The hot water was just a matter of running the water through black pipes on my roof, you'd be surprised how hot it got even in the winter.

This seems very easy. Who knew, thanks for explaining it to me... I have a 2,000 sq. ft. house. It will need alot of panels wind power and solar panels and I've also been thinking of drilling a water well. Water and Electricity have gotten far too sassy with their fees lately. But, this information sounds pretty simple and inexpensive to start off.

For the future of my kiddo and he will inherit the property, it's a great investment to improve things as well as solar hot water heaters. I've been thinking on these things a while, but......money, time, etc. It has to happen in the future though. Get off the grid and keep our hard earned money out of their pockets. I've seen vids about water heated on the roof through pipes. I'll have to do that too, soon. Thanks tan. love the info.

I wished my house was 800sq.ft. alot less expense.

edit on 13-9-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You know it's really easy to just supplement your grid. Use a low level system at first for lights and maybe one or two outlets, you'd be amazed how much you save.

Thanks for your great music threads

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Cool! Welcome to ATS. You'll fit right in.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Warm Welcome to the ATS Family....Here's your Welcome Treats....sorry I m a little late. Hope it didn't give you a complex....

I'll see you around the forums...I'm sure...

Des

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

YUMM!!!
(all better now, thank you)

edit on 20-2-2013 by tanda7 because: burp

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Welcome to a whole new whacky ass world and here's a memo.

And welcome to ATS

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

"Speak the truth or make your peace some other way"

Sound wisdom for sure, thank you.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Welcome to the show. This is the finest gift I can give you.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I find that this song gets my brain moving nicely.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
One more for inspiration.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I hope you enjoy this.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BacknTime

Same here except i had to kill some men in black yesterday.

Im here to join the rebellion

top topics

<< 1   >>

join