learn more

Cooking With Aluminum Foil Should Be Avoided

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

The daily intake of aluminium even if all the foods were prepared and stored in aluminium containers would be approximately 6 mg/day

This thread is talking about aluminum foil, not foods prepared/cooked in aluminum pots in Italy. There are some similarities, but the added aluminum oxide to one side of a foil sheet is not present in cooking pots. That is a main difference between foil/pots, and of course the people making the product will say its safe... Here are some links:

Chemical Formula Aluminum Foil

And the MSDS for Aluminum Oxide, which does not have much testing done, but is admittedly a skin and eye irritant, and a carcinogen for some lab tests on animals, though none on people per this material safety data sheet:

Aluminum Oxide MSDS

So cooking in pots does depend on what you cook, such as abrasive starches or acidic foods like pineapple or tomatoes (which is why foods like tomatoes/pineapples are canned with a type of plastic film so the can doesn't get destroyed by the acid.)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

But the 2012 report didn't really show much difference from the pot tests.

It really doesn't matter because the other research has shown that the amount of aluminum in a persons brain is not indicative of a persons propensity to suffer AD or not.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The fact that it exists naturally in foods, and everyone eats but not everyone gets AD, makes for a logical argument that it isn't the cause.

edit on 28-8-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

On this, which NON-processed foods contain aluminum naturally. I know some foods have better concentrations of certain vitamins/minerals, such as high levels of beta-carotene in carrots, or iron in green leafy veggies like spinach.

My first question is, which non-processed foods have a higher level of aluminum than others?

Next question, what is the FDA acceptable daily intake limit (ADI) for aluminum in the food?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Those are good questions but I think that they may be irrelevant. Again from the Alzheimer's Society:

Studies of other sources of aluminium, such as tea, antacid medications and antiperspirants have also failed to show a positive association with Alzheimer's disease (Flaten and Odegård 1988).

People with kidney failure are unable to excrete aluminium, and yet they frequently have to be treated with compounds that contain aluminium. Aluminium accumulates in nerve cells that are particularly vulnerable in Alzheimer's disease. However, even after years of high exposure to aluminium, patients with kidney failure are no more likely to develop dementia or the hallmark pathological changes of Alzheimer's disease (Netter et al 1990).

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Those are good questions but I think that they may be irrelevant. Again from the Alzheimer's Society:

Studies of other sources of aluminium, such as tea, antacid medications and antiperspirants have also failed to show a positive association with Alzheimer's disease (Flaten and Odegård 1988).

People with kidney failure are unable to excrete aluminium, and yet they frequently have to be treated with compounds that contain aluminium. Aluminium accumulates in nerve cells that are particularly vulnerable in Alzheimer's disease. However, even after years of high exposure to aluminium, patients with kidney failure are no more likely to develop dementia or the hallmark pathological changes of Alzheimer's disease (Netter et al 1990).

They are good questions, and not irrelevant. You said foods naturally contain aluminum before. Now in this statement it is only Tea. What kind of tea, how much is the average concentration? Does everyone around the world with alzheimers drink this tea?

On aluminum, there is no limit set by the FDA, to answer it for you.

And when it comes to Tea, here is an interesting study:

Gastrointestinal Absorbsion from Teas in Rats

In particular note:

. These results showed that the absorption rates of Al from ingestion of tea infusions were much lower than that of free form Al.

So their study shows that free form aluminum absorbs much better in the human body than from tea. Do people in the USA for example drink more tea containing aluminum, or use products containing free form aluminum?

From your stance of saying that the Alzheimer's Society saying that they cannot show a positive association with aluminum to alzheimers would be like the tobacco industry saying cigarettes do not cause lung cancer. I can show you plenty of examples of people smoking tobacco their whole life who never got lung cancer. I can draw my own conclusions for whatever purpose is needed, which is most always motivated by money.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Well the FDA has this to say:

Aluminum and its salts are found in varying amounts in nearly all foods.

I can't get you what foods have the most but if your eating, chances are your ingesting aluminum.

ETA: When you take into account the fact that some antacids may contain up to 100mg per dose and people take them regularly and still don't seem to develop AD, then whatever amounts people ingest from food, pots and foil are insignificant.
edit on 29-8-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Well the FDA has this to say:

Aluminum and its salts are found in varying amounts in nearly all foods.

I can't get you what foods have the most but if your eating, chances are your ingesting aluminum.

Ok, well that still is not proof enough for me, and where I live the food being sold is grown locally, and mostly organically.

But I still don't believe that most foods I eat contain aluminum. Here is a link for Squash and Chayote, types of vegetables I eat most every day:

Squash Food Composition

Chayote Food Composition

Note that neither one have aluminum (Al) in their contents, but things like iron and copper are. Things (post-transition metals) like aluminum, tin, and lead are not in the composition of these plants. Good thing too!

If you can name a type of aluminum salt to look for in the plant compositions I will!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

So you found a couple of vegetables which may not contain aluminum. That is only a minuscule representation of what people eat.

It still doesn't matter because people taking doses of antacids with huge amounts of aluminum don't develop AD with greater frequency than those who only ingest it from natural sources, even if it includes pots and foil.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

So you found a couple of vegetables which may not contain aluminum. That is only a minuscule representation of what people eat.

It still doesn't matter because people taking doses of antacids with huge amounts of aluminum don't develop AD with greater frequency than those who only ingest it from natural sources, even if it includes pots and foil.

1. Ok so, again, please provide some links to foods proven to contain aluminum, even in trace amounts.

2. You're right, people are taking free form aluminum through many ways, mainly via processed foods and containers and pharma. What IS strange is that the FDA doesn't even have safe limits on its intake, and they're the ones who like to regulate everything (or not, again, depending on the money involved.)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

You're missing the point. The fact that people ingest large amounts of aluminum in things like antacids and it doesn't cause AD means that whatever amounts they may get form their fruits and veggies is irrelevant.

ETA: But since you asked, and although it took me a bit to find, the following link will take you to a table of common foods and their aluminum content.

Aluminum contents in food

Since Aluminum is the third most abundant element in the earth's crust, it should not come as a surprise that Aluminum is found in all plants and living organisms. All food contains Aluminum. Table two presents a list of usual food with their aluminum content expressed in micrograms of elemental aluminum per one hundred grams of edible product.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This thread deserves a noble prize, in my humbe opinion.

Lets all make this thread the most important ever.

It will if read and digested , save millions of vegetive human beings?

Give the OP all your might.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

You're missing the point. The fact that people ingest large amounts of aluminum in things like antacids and it doesn't cause AD means that whatever amounts they may get form their fruits and veggies is irrelevant.

ETA: But since you asked, and although it took me a bit to find, the following link will take you to a table of common foods and their aluminum content.

Aluminum contents in food

Since Aluminum is the third most abundant element in the earth's crust, it should not come as a surprise that Aluminum is found in all plants and living organisms. All food contains Aluminum. Table two presents a list of usual food with their aluminum content expressed in micrograms of elemental aluminum per one hundred grams of edible product.

The point is that this thread is about "Cooking with aluminum foil should be avoided." I went further down that path to suggest that eating anything involved with aluminum (I conceded free form aluminum) is not healthy.

I am not arguing that aluminum, though not free form, could be in food. It would make sense for aluminum to be in food as should silicon going by logic of what the plant absorbs. However, free form aluminum from things like packaging, foil, and containers / pots, is way different than aluminum compositions found naturally in nature.

And to your link, I am still baffled why your one source shows aluminum being contained in broccoli at 79mg per 100g, but sources like wikipedia and others below don't even mention aluminum. Why would something in aluminum show on one site, but not on other authoritative sites?

1. Broccoli, Raw, Wikipedia - No aluminum

2. Broccoli, Raw, WHFoods - No aluminum

3. Broccoli, Raw, nutritiondata.self.com - No aluminum

4. Brocolli, Raw, Foodlink.dk - No aluminum

5. Broccoli, Raw, CZfcdb.cz - No aluminum

Your link:

Aluminum contents in food - Broccoli with 79µg/100g

This is why I feel I am not missing the point. If aluminum were in every food, I believe it would be shown in some form in the food from the composition sheets. Your link shows aluminum is there at 79µg/100g. In what form?? Free form? If aluminum is in the food in certain kind(s) of compositions, that would be much more accurate to state than just "all food contains aluminum." (Which on an atomic level could very well be true, but then you could also make other odd-sounding assertions about what else could be in the food.)
edit on 29-8-2012 by Philippines because: Edit: changed it to microgram (µg), from mg on the broccoli part on your link

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Even if aluminum is only a contributing factor....and it is found that Alzheimer's is totally dietary...why take the chance?

I truly believe many of our health woes are the result of the Frankenfoods invented in the last 100 years......but who's to say that what we eat doesn't effect our bodies responses to aluminum and other metals in our bodies?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Just because other sources don't mention something means it is an omission on their part. Have you ever read a food label indicating how much nicotine is in a tomato, peppers or other members of the nightshade family of plants? Guess what, it's in there.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by daskakik

Even if aluminum is only a contributing factor....and it is found that Alzheimer's is totally dietary...why take the chance?

I truly believe many of our health woes are the result of the Frankenfoods invented in the last 100 years......but who's to say that what we eat doesn't effect our bodies responses to aluminum and other metals in our bodies?

Because your ingesting it anyways.

Now that they have found that the brain produces and uses insulin they are throwing some of the old suspects out.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Great thread thanks..OP

My wife and I use aluminium free deodorant there are not too many on sale in the supermarkets in oZ.

What is truly saddening is the fact that some companies are perhaps causing the cancers and mental conditions whilst with the other hand making millions selling the cure to the condition they intentionally created.

Not possible?

Mmm.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Just because other sources don't mention something means it is an omission on their part. Have you ever read a food label indicating how much nicotine is in a tomato, peppers or other members of the nightshade family of plants? Guess what, it's in there.

Ok I'll play your game but continue the debate speaking for you.

From the link you provided earlier, the only way it could make sense for (non free form) aluminum to be in food would be some aluminum compound in the form of a trace element. In your link it showed 79 micrograms, which is something like this: 0.000079 grams / 100g. It would make sense for the other sources showing only the larger compounds in the composition of plants to the millionth of a gram. So again with the example of broccoli, for every kilo (1000 grams) you eat, you are ingesting an estimated 0.079 grams of an aluminum compound (not free form.)

This thread is about how cooking with aluminum foil should be avoided. That is because aluminum foil (and containers) will put free form aluminum into the food you eat. The difference with the "aluminum" in plants is that in plants the aluminum is not free form, it is in an aluminum compound that your body can metabolize. It is natural. Free form aluminum is not.

Also your post about pills and other substances containing aluminum is spot on and should be avoided if possible as well. Seeing the government sources say that aluminum is in all foods is a twisted half-truth and appalling that they don't explain the differences of aluminum found in natural food vs. aluminum processed / packaged / cooked food - free form aluminum.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
From the link you provided earlier, the only way it could make sense for (non free form) aluminum to be in food would be some aluminum compound in the form of a trace element. In your link it showed 79 micrograms, which is something like this: 0.000079 grams / 100g. It would make sense for the other sources showing only the larger compounds in the composition of plants to the millionth of a gram. So again with the example of broccoli, for every kilo (1000 grams) you eat, you are ingesting an estimated 0.079 grams of an aluminum compound (not free form.)

Aluminum is so reactive that free form aluminum is none existing in nature. The fact that it even exists, even in trace amounts in foods, means we are ingesting it.

This thread is about how cooking with aluminum foil should be avoided. That is because aluminum foil (and containers) will put free form aluminum into the food you eat. The difference with the "aluminum" in plants is that in plants the aluminum is not free form, it is in an aluminum compound that your body can metabolize. It is natural. Free form aluminum is not.

Sorry but no. Aluminum foil hit with steam will oxidize. So free form aluminum is not what is dripping into the pan. It even reacts with air, so you probably don't have free form aluminum in contact with the food when it is put in place.

Also your post about pills and other substances containing aluminum is spot on and should be avoided if possible as well. Seeing the government sources say that aluminum is in all foods is a twisted half-truth and appalling that they don't explain the differences of aluminum found in natural food vs. aluminum processed / packaged / cooked food - free form aluminum.

The OP is about aluminum being the cause of AD. That fact that people who have ingested large amounts of aluminum in tablet, or any other form, don't show a greater occurrence of AD shoots that theory down.

edit on 30-8-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
So how do we avoid aluminum for cooking?

Suggestions??

Wrap it around yer head sir

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Thanks for the support DE

It does seem twisted that our environments contain so many toxins, and that so often profits come before people, but at least we can become aware and make personal changes. This heated aluminum contributes to Osteoporosis and cancer as well so I thought it was pertinent info.

Peace,
spec

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join