It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking With Aluminum Foil Should Be Avoided

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
So how do we avoid aluminum for cooking?

Almost everything is cooked with foil...

Suggestions??

~Namaste

I never uses aluminum foil when cooking, how do you cook?

Guess I am going to have to give you all some cooking lessons.

edit on 013131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks for the tip.
Sometimes convenience gets the best of us. Foil is so cheap, but once you purchase good cooking equipment, you are set. So spending a little now will go a long ways. Getting various sizes of Pyrex bowls was not cheap, but one purchase and now I am set, no more plastics, until hemp plastics or plant based plastics are affordable and widely available. Still though, glass works fine, with the exception of some outdoor excursion activities.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah, I upgraded to Pyrex for storage and microwaving when I just have to....and if I use plastic....I make sure the food isn't even warm.

When I use my big broiler pan to roast meats that won't be covered...I line the foil with parchment. It would b nice to come up with a better option.....other than elbow grease for the cleanup

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by PatriotAct

At least you are aware, and this enables you to make choices. You are right we are literally living in toxins, eating drinking, breathing and rubbing against them. We can't avoid it all but I think we can minimize our exposure to many of them. My step mom thought I was crazy for not cooking in non-sticking(teflon) pans. She said stopping that alone would not prevent cancer, and I said that I realized this, but by minimizing my exposure to all the carcinogens amongst us, I may have a better chance of avoiding the repercussions.
edit on 26-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

The way we're here in the first place is because of adapting to our environment - resilience..... not running away from danger. Our species cannot build an immunity to aluminum foil tomorrow if we don't deal with the negative side effects today.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

I hear you and think that applies to most things in our environment, but it is a delicate balance of toxic exposure in just enough amount to develop resilience, particularly with such toxic substances as aluminum, radioactivity, asbestos, etc. Some of these things will do more damage from exposure than others. The shock to the system may be too overwhelming for our bodies to adjust. I am grateful for the wonder of the human body though, and hope that we can develop some type of immunity from unsafe exposure levels, but until then, with aluminum anyway, I will minimize my exposure to it, particularly with food.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I use foil when baking things that need covering, such as certain casseroles baked in a glass pan. The recipe states "cover and bake for....." The food doesn't touch the foil as a rule.

I have to say, though, that I noticed that when I would make lasagna and store it in the fridge covered in foil, the part of the foil that touched the food would start to disintegrate into the tomato sauce after a day or two. I assume the acidity of the sauce was to blame. I noticed that it had nothing to do with baking, because even at cold temps, the foil started to dissolve.

I am concerned about keeping as many toxins as possible out of my system, but apparently, in the western world, that is next to impossible.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Damn, I'm obsessed with foil, I use it every day.. I wrap all my opened meats, cheese and even the cats food cans in it to keep it fresh, I line my grill tray and wrap my lunch for work in it.. I wish I'd never read this thread
Thanks for bringing it up all the same..

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Hey FS, at least we can reduce the absorption of what we come in contact with and even flush much from our systems, as I posted earlier.

Some things we can do to prevent aluminum from staying in our systems are take calcium, magnesium and zinc supplements. For detoxing existing aluminum, Lemon Juice, Tumeric, Garlic, Kelp and Cilantro can be used. Also, soaking our feet in a mix of half epsom salt and half sea salt with water will remove aluminum through our feet. Sweet, plus it feels good.

Peace

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lewtra

Me too lewtra, it is such an excellent product aside from the main ingredient! But hey, there are just as convenient and effective alternatives, as mentioned throughout the thread.

Peace

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by shantyknight

Good topic. And one dear to my heart. If you take a magnet with you next time you go to Wally World (or where ever) and check out the stainless steel cookware there, you will be surprised. Steel is magnetic. Yet the magnet will refuse to stick to a lot of the stainless steel cookware. I researched this on line and found out: There is no such thing as Stainless Steel. It is a Trade name. Also, aluminum was never designed for high heat (like cooking on a stove). It leaches poisonous gasses into the food. They shouldn't even be allowed to SELL this stuff as cookware.
As an aside....Organic health bars from the local health food stores. Wrapped in pretty wrapper, nice green healthy looking background. Open the bar....yep, wrapped in aluminum foil.

Well our magnet does stick to a few of our big pots and of course my cast iron frying pan, so I'll stick to those mainly from now on and take a magnet to the store to replace the 2 smaller ones.

Also we have only rarely used tinfoil with anything.

Aluminum and plastics are just part of the constant toxins they are force feeding us with.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

When I cover stuff in the frig...I let it cool...cover with plastic wrap and then foil.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

But most of us have it wrapped round our heads

Switch to a Soviet era steel pot helmet comrade and besides you can cook Kasha in it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It takes hundreds if not thousands of years for that type of evolutionary change, though, doesn't it?
And, in the last 50 years of so, we have been bombarded with so many additives and faux foods....things man has never, ever had in his system.
I think we should stress or bodies with as few of these "toxins" as possible......else we play havoc with our immune system...

my 2 ameros

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There's a place I get wings from every now and then ans when you get them to go they come in a nice covered aluminum pan. if you put it in the fridge the next morning the wings have eaten through the pan.

So what should I give up?? The wings or the pan???

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
For Chicken without foil you could try this

But i will take my chances
And roast my chicken in Foil wrapped in bacon with an orange in the cavity served with stuffing you can not beat it

Cran

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

It takes hundreds if not thousands of years for that type of evolutionary change, though, doesn't it?
And, in the last 50 years of so, we have been bombarded with so many additives and faux foods....things man has never, ever had in his system.
I think we should stress or bodies with as few of these "toxins" as possible......else we play havoc with our immune system...

my 2 ameros

And this is part of the reason Diabletes, Cancer, Autism, Obesity, pretty much all chronic diseases are on the rise, in spite of all the millions of dollars being thrown at them. You are what you eat......

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
For Chicken without foil you could try this

But i will take my chances
And roast my chicken in Foil wrapped in bacon with an orange in the cavity served with stuffing you can not beat it

Cran

I'll bet if you roasted in a cast iron pot with lid, it would taste better! Or ceramic, enamel, ANYTHING but foil. Ceramic is very easy to clean. All you have to do is soak it for a couple hours. Most people try to scrub it and ruin it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Hey Gridrebel, thanks for your contributions and tips.

Most of the cheaper cooking pans are made from aluminum which also leache aluminum in cooked foods. There are many alternatives, enamel, glass, iron, take your pick. Not to offend the OP, but I heard this same information in the early 80's. Maybe it's making it's way back around because people didn't pay attention the first time.

I wonder if today's technology just gives us a better view and understanding of exactly how aluminum affects us, specifically. We have come a long way since the 80's as far as research, but not so far in preserving the health of humanity it seems.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Yuck, whole chicken in a can, isn't there a law against such atrocities?

As Gridrebel and others have mentioned there are alternatives, and Pyrex/corningware with a glass lid will keep all the flavor and juices in.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
What we do in the fridge is put things in glass bowels usually, and cover with a glass saucer. Usually.

As for turkey's, this is messy when it falls apart, but its very juicy and good. We also prefer to overcook any form of meat so to avoid dry turkey, cook it upside down in the roasting pan, and use a huge needle and thread to tie up the stuffing end, which I can't remember if this method left the stuffing poorly cooked, but I would make kind of homemade stove top in the stove with chicken stock, already cook the vegetables added, and then stuff it at that point, separating what fits in with overflow stove top, and join the two later. Again no tinfoil needed.

Its really alarming that everything is poisonous and the part about gasses being released at low temperatures, not good at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join