It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to browse the Internet safely like an IT pro!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

what about just using a linux live cd?
i hear that the live cd does not write to the hard drive.
i am not a computer wizard. it is only something i heard at work.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is far from true, your public IP address is what is logged when you browse the internet. Simply use a proxy server service, pay the fee for a decent service if it matters to you.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This does nothing to mask your IP address, its pointless.

Your a lot better off just using a proxy and VPN server overseas.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill

I thought the OP was about Virus protection etc?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce

I mean, compare browsing through Firefox on Unbuntu running in a VM environment to Windows 7 or XP using IE, in addition to many people not using malware protection or outdated protection and it's not really a comparison at all.
reply to post by tsawyer2

why do you need malware protection? I know many people using winblows that run a bare naked system, it's all about common sense, and the right browser, as well as the right browser plug-ins.

You could do that. I would suggest limiting your browsing to disney.com then. It's prudent to have malware protection on your computer and to ensure you have all available security updates. It's not all about common sense, the people that want to do you harm have that too and will attempt to exploit yours.

The point of the original post was to eliminate some possible attack vectors and he did that very, very well.

edit on 27-8-2012 by tsawyer2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill

I thought the OP was about Virus protection etc?

This is about Virus protection, masking your IP address is about evasion for privacy reasons.

Evasion for privacy is pretty simple. VPN and hide behind multiple proxies. But doing that makes me wonder what you are really up to.

But for the average user, why would they do this? The intent of this post is for the average user to do something which a few years ago was very technical, but now is within reach for them.

It's a good post with good intent and is presented extremely well. If anyone wants to post on how to hide behind proxies, explore the deeper parts of the net, I encourage them to do so. That is not what this post is about.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hey computer nerds quit bickering about the smallest of details. Somebody takes the time to try and help others protect their PC and you insist on proving your superior knowledge of the subject by arguing insignificant points. You want to make sure your pc is safe? Shut it off and go get laid a few times silly nerds.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Great Post

Thanks for the info.

I, myself, work on a similar (but much limited) field, and a post like this is great to show to some friends who still doesn´t understand the basis of the VM process.

Thanks a lot for making my life easier... (and the desperate calls by midnight!)

PB

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'm an IT pro, and you don't need to so this unless your doing something illegal,

if your concerned dont by a PC because everything you right or do is logged!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

If you are genuinely looking to prevent any traces of you being available get yourself a USB device that supports a micro SD card (the really tiny ones) - about 8gb should be fine.

Download the Ubuntu image as said and install the image to your USB device using Universal USB Installer ensuring that you select the persistence option - Persistence allows data to be stored/written/edited on the USB device as if it was your hard drive.

You can then boot from your USB device using any computer and have your operating system along with any installed programs or history etc... from any computer that can boot from USB.

Worst comes to the worst then you just pull out the SD card and flush it down the toilet/eat it/hold it under a lighter....

You have to be aware though, that while this will ensure there is no evidence of your movements on any computer in your home anything you do on the internet is still traceable via your IP unless using a, and check!, anonymous VPN service that DOES NOT KEEP LOGS.

edit on 28-8-2012 by budengland because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Never mind the elitists, thank you TS, I found the guide very helpfull and insightful. I'm going to try sanboxing my computer very soon I'll let you know what I think.

Great stuff, in a lifetime not everyone has a chance to specialize in all aspects, so when someone who majors in a field chooses to pass along informtation in "lamen's terms" I value it highly and consider it a stepping stone in educating myself on the process.

You're work does not go unnoticed. (:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Great suggestions for a (reduced) threat free web experience.

I would also suggest the use of Deepfreeze by faronics...
It is low cost and works well in any environment.
You can continuue to use your native os and browser and still protect your system from infections/malware.
edit on 28-8-2012 by jaytmoon because: additional information

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Also appreciate the advice from the Op and the chip ins from the other experts. I have bookmarked this page. [a

I agree with the Op that most hackers will build viruses to attack the high volume /low security PCs and if you can make your PC more secure than everyone else, then unless you run an Iranian centrifuge from it, you should be okay.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ive been using the TOR browser. Is this setup similar? I dual boot win7 and linux, only because linux is not compatible with a few programs i use. Maybe in the near future? Lets hope.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I think you misunderstood the point of this thread, which was mainly about virus protection, not necessarily hiding evidence. I never said they do not write to the HD, but rather in a non-typical fashion. Doing forensics when a virtual machine is involved is not the same as on a typical machine. Of course these machines can have different settings which makes them either harder or easier to investigate. But the whole point of this post was not about anti-forensics
edit on 8/28/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Personally I do not like cd's. I would rather use a USB stick as they are more portable.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by budengland

Thanks,, Im well aware of those alternatives, but that wasnt the point of this thread.

Im not trying to provide a way for people to hide evidence of doing illegal things.

As mentioned above it was more about virus protection.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jaytmoon

Excellent addition! DeepFreeze is an awesome product and very reliable! However I think it would be harder to setup and maintain for someone who is not familiar with computers.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think I just may try this... as my computer was attacked not too long ago with the really bad virus 404 or something like that. Luckily my step-brother offered to peek at the computer to help out. He tried fixing but it was not repairable the damage had been done... so he recommended a refurbished hard drive to purchase, which i did and then replaced it for me.

So now lets just see if I can follow your thorough instructions. LOL I will try.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Sonofthelaw says block "known infectious sites on the internet" in hosts file as a good precurser for blocking viri. I'm sure I'll have no problems Googling the accurate syntax to block the know bad domains in host file correctly; however, any of, or SonOfTheLaw, be able to share a good resourse that arranges, identifies, and lists those known sites? I can't image trying to search for top ones or what I'd be able to even use as search string without getting a bunch of unlated hits or specific info on certain viruses

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join