It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California going off!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It appears that these quakes are causing damage according to local reports.

Earthquake swarm damages buildings in downtown Brawley

A handful of buildings in downtown Brawley had minor damage after an earthquake swarm rattled the area Sunday, officials said.

Capt. Jesse Zendejas of the Brawley Fire Department described the damage as "cosmetic" and said it occurred in at least three buildings dating to the 1930s. Crews were still assessing other areas of the city, he said, but no injuries had been reported.

Imperial County firefighters were also assisting in the survey.

The first quake — a magnitude 3.8 temblor — occurred at 10:02 a.m. about three miles northwest of Brawley, and was followed by a series of other quakes in the same general area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The largest was a magnitude 5.3 -- downgraded from a 5.4 -- that struck just after 12:30 p.m., but the numbers may be revised.

The USGS' "Do You Feel It" system shows the quakes were felt as far away as San Diego, Temecula and San Clemente. The 5.3 quake was also felt in Moreno Valley, Indio, National City and Palm Desert.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Frankel
Another 4 since the last update in the same area 2.8, 2.9, 4.3 and a 3.9 they just keep coming.....2.7, 2.5, 2.8, 2.9 wow.

I have USGS open & it's constantly updating, just one after another around Brawley.

link   
G00d time t0 head t0 the hills.

I have never in my life seen s0 many traumatic earthquakes
in 0ne huge cluster bunch.

If it was my family in the area see ya.
edit on 26-8-2012 by sirnukeem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
CNN just said that these could be foreshocks to something bigger. They said that it was small chance, but the chance is still there. They said it was something to keep an eye on.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Yeah! it's kind of wierd to feel excited about this, but hope it's just going to die out and turn back to normal.

Is it just me or do they seem to come in faster and faster

18 minor since the 5.4 in half an hour..
edit on 26-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

If a region is quake prone and for what I understand economically depressed, why do people take the risk ?

I think that it is common sense to stay away from danger if there is no greater payoff that supplants the chance of damage. This also has implications on how invested one is in a location (buy house, raise a family etc)...

It still baffles me that people do not take into account stuff that they can easily avoid, like living in a tornado prone region in a paper house, or build in a alluvial plane or near the coast line...

edit on 26-8-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow.....34 more quakes in the last hour alone (including the 5.4). The last 3 have been withing minutes.

I don't know anything about EQs except having experienced many of them over in Italy in the 80's when I was a kid (a couple of 7.xs that were, scary).

I'm waiting for someone like TA or John or someone to come on and say: "This is normal".......I hope.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Wow.....34 more quakes in the last hour alone (including the 5.4). The last 3 have been withing minutes.

I don't know anything about EQs except having experienced many of them over in Italy in the 80's when I was a kid (a couple of 7.xs that were, scary).

I'm waiting for someone like TA or John or someone to come on and say: "This is normal".......I hope.

Yeah I'm right here with ya. John is probably soooo busy. I'm anxious to hear how his day was today and what his thoughts are.

I'm assuming PM and Muzzy are sleeping.

I await though... I know I've never seen this and I've only been a daily watcher for two years. I would say they have swarmed before.... But not like this.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The 5.4 has just been updated to a 5.5 if the current pattern continues its only a matter of time before a bigger one.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

It still baffles me that people do not take into account stuff that they can easily avoid, like living in a tornado prone region in a paper house, or build in a alluvial plane or near the coast line...

Every place has something. People have to live somewhere.

Brawley is about as safe as you can get with earthquakes.

Its a mostly flat sprawling desert.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That was once under water! Just wanted to add that piece of info in... :-)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

This really is nuts. I've only been watching foe about 2 years as well and never have I
seen a swarm like this. If it shakes where I live I might just head back to Missouri
sooner than expected

link   
I've noticed that they mostly seem to be at 12km or shallower. A few 18km's in there.

Is there a significance to that? I mean I understand the shallower the quake with a higher magnitude, the stronger you feel it, but I was wondering what else the depth means (again, I know nada about earthquakes, except that they scared me to death as a teen).

link   

Originally posted by Frankel
The 5.4 has just been updated to a 5.5 if the current pattern continues its only a matter of time before a bigger one.

Not really.

This is probably a good thing - - releasing tensions.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm just barely waking up so I must have slept through them all, I'm guessing. I'm not sure but I think there was shaking in my dream.
We'll see what this brings. I missed the last sequence 3 weeks ago as I was out of town. My sis said the sound those made was pretty awful but the quakes themselves weren't anything to write home about.

ETA: Closer inspection and the quakes are centered a ways away. Won't be feeling those suckers unless they get up to a 6. Or if the swarm moves its way up. Earthquakes are fun. If I knew for a fact they wouldn't be going higher than a 6 I'd say bring it on, but it's the unpredictability of these things that makes you wish for none at all.
edit on 26-8-2012 by conspiracy88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankel

Indeed if there is some kinda rhythem here then it may be one closer to a 6 mag in 45 min or so.
But from what i have heard their is no rhythem to these quakes.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think that when we start seeing the normal quakes in the rest of the world again then that would be an indicator of tension back to normal.
Now it just seems to be shifting tension toward this region.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Originally posted by Annee

That was once under water! Just wanted to add that piece of info in... :-)

It was? When was that.

I live about an 1 1/2 hours from Brawley.

EARTHQUAKE SWARMS: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Yeah more than likely there is no rhythm but just to note a 12 minute lull in activity before the 5.5 hit lol

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join