It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California going off!

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't know if there's a connection.... looking at the latest reported sightings on the MUFON site, there are 20 total.

Discounting the one about Mars, and the one from last year... there are 6 out of 18 sightings that are recent - last 5 days and more recent, that are on the West coast--- Ca, Or, Wa.....

MUFON link

significant?

ETA: if you look at the site at a later point in time... the data may be diff... This is a constant/continual feed site... It'll be interesting IMO to see if more west coast sightings show up later...
edit on 28/8/2012 by MarkJS because: eta added

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
my manifestation says Kalifornia well be ok

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13GODHEADSUPREME777
my manifestation says Kalifornia well be ok

What is your manifestation...if I may ask....

Des

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Looks like all the chat has moved to here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I live in LA, so I've been monitoring the quakes since the beginning of the swarm.

I'm not pushing either school of thought (the swarm is a docile geological event vs. the swarm is a precursor for a larger event), but I think it's worth noting the following:

Since the beginning of the swarm, quakes have been concentrated in Brawley, while the surrounding areas were almost completely devoid of activity. There were of course the exceptions of the medium quakes in the gulf of california. However, starting around the last 24 hours, there are small quakes popping up all over the Southern, Northern, and Central California regions, as well as in Nevada. These are almost all recent within the last 24 hours.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Has anyone taken note of the similar swarms to the north of the British Virgin Islands and in Nicaragua?

A lot of small EQ's in very localized spots.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Huh, this is weird they are shown on USGS
earthquake.usgs.gov...

but none on here
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

and then there seems to be lot of little EQs over the past 9 hours on here in Greece area quakes.globalincidentmap.com...
but not USGS.

edit on 8/28/2012 by taws6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Ok the total quakes on the map for the week now is over 400! Wow!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

So... right now on the MUFON recent sightings post site, there are 20 latest entries. 1 was from New Year's day of this year, and one was from 2010. Discounting those, there are 4 UFO reported sightings in the last 2 days in Calif.

Does anyone know if sightings like this are some kind of precursor warning sign or something for an EQ? Does this strike you as being weird... 4 out of the latest 18.... with all the Calif. ones being from yesterday and today...?

I don't follow the MUFON site that close... so honestly, I don't know if it means anything. I'm hoping that someone with more experience in these kinds of statistics can shed some light on this...(?)

I'm not trying to scare anyone... just trying to see if there is a pattern establishing or not.

edit on 28/8/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Char-lee, you seem to know whats what with earthquakes, i, on the other hand, am a utter ignoramus. But im sure i read somewhere that small quakes meant a release of pressure stoping a bigger quake,. So could these cali quakes be this? Please could you explain why some people think this swarm is abnormal.

Thanks in advance,
as i said i am a complete dummy with quakes.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Char-lee, you seem to know whats what with earthquakes, i, on the other hand, am a utter ignoramus. But im sure i read somewhere that small quakes meant a release of pressure stoping a bigger quake,. So could these cali quakes be this? Please could you explain why some people think this swarm is abnormal.

Thanks in advance,
as i said i am a complete dummy with quakes.

I don't know a lot myself but have been watching for a long time. The earthquake.usgs.gov... site is my home page.

I have read that yes, small quakes can be a release, they also can be a precursor to more and larger activity.

So it could be with small quakes like rubbing two rough boards across one another and they move... giving a little but then they stick as they are hung up, after more pressure is applied to rub them across one another one of them could suddenly give and jerk forward.

The total area of the San Andreas fault has not done anything for a long time, in a big way and is considered way over due.
Now where I live and all the way to Washington State is also way overdue for historic large quakes and that is the concern. The scientist who gave information here in Crescent City Ca, said that IF the San Andreas is locked so long and finally slips along its whole length it could set off the problem areas which have caused huge quakes and tsunamis along our shore or the Wa area.

We have a slid area off shore that has a history of huge slides, the displacement causing giant tsunamis here, the Gorda and Juan de Fuca plates are small broken sections and thus small separate plates from the large Pacific plate, they are butted up to the end of the San Andreas fault.

Washington state has a similar situation but on a separate fault system that if it goes as it has in the past could send a tsunami inland to Seattle.

All the areas are overdue and from what i have read they actually do not know how much one section can effect another.

Hope this is not to much a ramble!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I have been reading some information on earthquake "clustering", and it seems like small earthquake activity, is often a sign of bigger things to come, or "leftovers" from a larger earthquake. According to research done by "Marzocchi and Selva (2003); Marzocchi and Selva (2008)", it indicates that these "clusters" may be considered part of the same earthquake.

Mounting empirical evidence over the last seven years suggests that rare, giant earthquakes of magnitude near 9.0 and greater may cluster temporally over time periods spanning perhaps 15 years

After a lull in the occurrence of these earthquakes during the latter half of the 20th century, we may now be in the middle of a new cycle of large earthquakes.

The earthquakes in Honshu Japan, were the largest in 48+ years, and the "moment" rate at which these earthquakes have been forming, or the frequency, has quite dramatically spiked. Between 2005 - 2010, the "moment" rate, is 0.076, and between 1907-1923, it was 0.041. *"Moment Rate (10^23 N-M/yr)"*

When the magnitudes of the worldwide earthquake catalog are transformed into seismic moment and summed cumulatively since 1900, the periods containing the clustered occurrence of great and giant earthquakes can easily be seen due to the huge increases in global seismic moment release.

This report was written in October 14, 2011, but I still think the remark "we may be only about half way through the cycle" is still relevant, however we may be further then half way now. The causes of these effects seem to boil down to relaxations in the earths tectonic plates, before another earthquake happens, and the mechanisms that "deep ductile layers", of the earth utilize to transfer the strain of an earthquake/plate movements.

Global effects of great and giant earthquakes more likely are transmitted large distances over relatively short time intervals through post-seismic relaxations and strain transfer mechanisms in the deep ductile layers of the Earth.

Source "Global Earthquake Clustering"

The statistics of great and giant earthquake occurrences indicate that the historical temporal clustering of these earthquakes on a global scale cannot be attributed to chance. It appears that the giant 2004 Andaman-Nicobar (Sumatra) earthquake began a new cycle of global great earthquake activity. If the current cycle follows the one that occurred in the 1950 - 1965 time frame, we may be only about half way through the cycle, and the largest earthquake in the current cluster may not have yet occurred.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

A lot of good info. The scientists who gave talks in our area of the coast have changed their long dates to a large earthquake could occur within 25 years as they used to say 100 years and they are saying 40 for some areas. Their behavior said more then their words and I believe that they think a large one is imminent for the Ca/Or border area or around there.

I noticed that the one volcano in the three sisters in Wa. seems to waking as are many volcanoes all over the globe.

If I were able I would move away from the coast and the volcanoes..hard to do with there being so many!!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

That's a lot of great info.
I wonder how the 1812 cluster play's into those figures.
new-madrid.mo.us...
edit on 28-8-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

Earthquake facts
edit on 28-8-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Thankyou, nicely explained.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Something very unusual going on here.

This isnt the norm!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
right now, CA is averaging one earthquake about every 13 minutes, doesn't sounds like normal activity

The world map is showing double the earthquakes over the past 7 days, it's a 415 and it usually averages 200 or so. This is 4.5+ around the world and 2.5+ in the US

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Just had family contact me from Italy, the region of Calabria they had an Earthquake early in the morning and it really shook everyone up.

4.6 and the epicenter was 40km deep so they didn't feel it as bad. My cousin said "situazione tranquilla qui' which means things have settled out now.

I wonder if Silo13 felt in in Sicily?

www.cronacalive.it...
edit on 28-8-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Still haven't felt anything here. My Mom said she felt a tremor a few nights ago. We live about 78 miles from downtown LA. We're up in the mountains above the high desert.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
So nothing happened ?

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join