It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California going off!

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Things seem to be heating up on the west coast tonite.
Have a plan in place people. Be ready.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I am watching quakes.globalincidentmap.com... and it's back to back action!
Tuesday August 28 2012, 01:08:20 UTC 16 minutes ago Gulf of California 4.1
Tuesday August 28 2012, 02:01:20 UTC 39 minutes ago Southern California 4.4
Tuesday August 28 2012, 02:01:20 UTC 39 minutes ago Southern California 4.2
[in between this are small ones that don't seem to stop]

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

Mine still hasn't updated for over 70 minutes....I'm on the edge of my seat with this and people can poo poo it all they want , but until it's over and nothing has occurred then I will stay tensed up.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

Yea it also seems that in the last 2 hrs much of the rest of eq in the world is slowing down.
Just like before.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
California/Mexico are areas of interest....you had better keep your eye on Indonesia though.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
reply to post by Staroth

Mine still hasn't updated for over 70 minutes....I'm on the edge of my seat with this and people can poo poo it all they want , but until it's over and nothing has occurred then I will stay tensed up.

Ok Chill out. I live in a country (New Zealand) which is about as shakey as SoCal is usually. Lots of little (and yes they have been) quakes are better than one big one, and you don't get a build up of little buggers, before a big one. Christchurch found this out in Septeber 2010, it had been a city in New Zealand which did not get earthquakes. Well it did since then, and the 7.1 (I think, it was 7 point something) that hit in the little hours a Saturday in Septemeber 2010 was unheralded. I was awoken several hundred miles south in Dunedin. I'd been back in NZ since July, after almost a decade in Milwaukee working as in Pharamaceutical manufacture. Februry 2011 they got a smaller but much more destructive one (it was more shallow, and centered closer to the city) with 180ish deaths, then another in June 2011. Those all occured either out of nowhere (the september quake) or after a "quiet period".

Tectonic upheval (ie earthquakes) is the release of energy when two plates are rubbing against each other. Little quakes are like "easing a hand break off" It slowly and less destructively releases energy. The big quakes are like sitting at the top of a hill, and just taking that break off. It's not a good thing.

So are we seeing liquifaction in this area of SoCal? I know water is a scarce comodity around there.

Also if it's "volcanic" there will be other indicators besides little earthquakes. Geologists will be prodding about looking for those.

So again, chill out. If it is "the big one" (more correctly A big one), then you can't do anything. If it's not, you are stressing yourself out, over something that is not in your control. There are no "early warning systems" for earthquakes. Not like Tsunami, Tornadoes, and tropical storms/huricanes.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

Thanks for your post although,as for my worry, I can't just turn it off ,lol.

To me , things are changing and there is no true set of earthquake rules , what happened to NZ for instance , you said it wasn't an area that had eq's but now does...that goes to show you we just can't ever be sure of anything.
There are things that are mainly common place but that does not make it cut and dried...I watch that thing daily for quite a while now , over 2 years and this event even has scientists a bit nervous.
If you notice the ring of Fire , alaska , Mexico and Cali are becoming more and more active...I always noticed that Our coast in the US was one that didn't seem as affected as the rest in the ring of fire.

I'm not flipping out but I definitely have my eye on it and a Nephew stationed at Camp Pendleton in Cali...I have to worry , I am a woman and a Mother , Aunt , Sister , etc...it's my job

edit on 27-8-2012 by ujustneverknow because: typos!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I called my grandma today who lives outside of San Diego and asked her is she was feeling any of the earthquakes. She said no, but that her golfing partner who lives about five miles away was shaking like hell. I thought that was very bizarre. I live in L.A. and feel earthquakes that are thirty miles away, so how could she not feel one that her friend felt so close by. Is that even possible? Note, grandma is getting up in years and is not the most reliable source.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
reply to post by Noinden

Thanks for your post although,as for my worry, I can't just turn it off ,lol.

To me , things are changing and there is no true set of earthquake rules , what happened to NZ for instance , you said it wasn't an area that had eq's but now does...that goes to show you we just can't ever be sure of anything.
There are things that are mainly common place but that does not make it cut and dried...I watch that thing daily for quite a while now , over 2 years and this event even has scientists a bit nervous.
If you notice the ring of Fire , alaska , Mexico and Cali are becoming more and more active...I always noticed that Our coast in the US was one that didn't seem as affected as the rest in the ring of fire.

I'm not flipping out but I definitely have my eye on it and a Nephew stationed at Camp Pendleton in Cali...I have to worry , I am a woman and a Mother , Aunt , Sister , etc...it's my job

edit on 27-8-2012 by ujustneverknow because: typos!

Ok the are in question in new Zealand had been inactive for longer than humans have occupied New Zealand. Geologists knew there were faults there, but had no data to compare, so it "going off" was a "shock" to many.

What can you do about your worry? I mean, how can you prepare? Just in case? I also have friends in the area. Again it returns to the release of energy. You can have small gradual releases, or one big nasty release. In Christchurch there are people with PSD thanks to the thousands of aftershocks (my Uncle and his kids for example). You can either move away, or learn to cope. Its not like the Gods give us the ability to get an early warning of this in any reliable way of form. Even if we did, what would you do with it? Do the equivalent of stand on a street corner with a sign warning people? That always works right?

I understand your worry. I really do. But beyond preparing an emergency kit, and get out of doge plan, and get those closer to the issue to do the same, there is NOTHING you can do. Watching that earthquake site is not going to help. It's post event anyhow, it does not instantly update.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I suspect one of the reasons this swarm is generating so much concern and activity here on ATS is that few of us believe that TBSP would broadcast their concerns or knowledge of an impending catastrophic event. They can't, if you really think about it, otherwise there would be pandemonium and chaos.
I think another reason for the popularity of this thread is those of us who regularly watch our Earthquake s/w or apps, generally don't see much interesting for months and months. It's just a little exciting to see an eq swarm and because this one sits so close to major faults and volcanoes it adds to the excitement, for lack of a better word.

When this all settles down and this swarm is history, I'm looking forward to what the experts at USGS have to say about this event....

I do have a question: someone way back on a previous page which I can't find stated that the USGS has downgraded published EQ's intensities by 1, in order to reduce public anxiety and fear. I wish I could find the post but I'm too tired to keep looking. Is this true?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is quite fascinating. I have always kept an eye on the USGS site for several years and was alarmed by what I saw yesterday but it may be a swarm......but maybe not. It is NOT usual that is all I know. Have and will be keeping my eye on this and already bought some extra stuff grocery shopping today. Just in case ya know.

But I do find it strange the USGS site I have been mainly using for my "Quake info" is going out of commission just now when all this is happening.

earthquake.usgs.gov... ml

This webpage is being phased out and is no longer maintained. Please use the new Real-time Earthquake Map instead and update your bookmark.

No problem but really why???

edit on 8/27/2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
every time aa quake storm pops of we get everyone saying the big ones coming.
why cant we just be content with the current earthquakes and hope everyone is safe. earthquakes arent very predictable..
however, im interested in when that guys 104 hour clock is going to start. he was on point with the other one apparently

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by gibsonsgrat187
every time aa quake storm pops of we get everyone saying the big ones coming.
why cant we just be content with the current earthquakes and hope everyone is safe. earthquakes arent very predictable..
however, im interested in when that guys 104 hour clock is going to start. he was on point with the other one apparently

Humans seem to like doomsday scenarios :/ With this being 2012, all the fruit loops are pointing at things and going "SEE! SEE! That is the sign SEE!".

Again folks, chill the hell out

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

That's right!
Because most of us have a pretty good idea of what can go on with these large message board crowds. Pandemonium ! Think Who concert or Black Friday at Wal- Mart. Scary stuff people, I've seen it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Noinden

That's right!
Because most of us have a pretty good idea of what can go on with these large message board crowds. Pandemonium ! Think Who concert or Black Friday at Wal- Mart. Scary stuff people, I've seen it.

WOE I say WOE or something

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Move... Just move... Come to Canada. MOVE!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
These california quakes/tremors remind me of those scene's from the movie 2012.I saw some pics of roads being split in some online news site.Though i am not sure about the validity of that.

Is it true that Roads have Split Open ? ... Or is it something that people believe is yet to happen ?...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
7.1 in El Salvador today... I suppose the Ring of Fire is acting up...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackbird2012
7.1 in El Salvador today... I suppose the Ring of Fire is acting up...

Or just being it's normal self. I mean seriously is the world more active at the moment, if you take the SoCal "quake storm" out of the equation?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I saw a video on my local "weather network" channel here in Canada and on their Force of Nature segment they showed a video of a short EQ in Brawley, CA. Can anybody tell me what magnitude hit there? It looked pretty bumpy and if that was a SMALL quake I would hate to feel a big one.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join