It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California going off!

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
No, the pattern did not work out. It is actually difficult to see if there is much of a pattern because of obvious changes in instrumentation and in what is in the catalogue. The early figures, before 1975, are low and I am guessing because of insufficient instruments. Up to around 2005 no earthquakes under Mag 1 seem to have been included so the tail end LOOKS much higher but probably isn't. I don't have time to look at that right now.

A quick scan of the data by eye suggest that this area always has swarms and these last anything up to a month or more.

Point proven. Figures need clarification always

edit on 27/8/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Its all the bad karma from the RNC convention. hehehehe.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by aarys
reply to post by SadisticPope

Hi there. Let us know how you know that San fran is going to have a EQ. And welcome to ATS.

Sadistic Pope has been a member since 2010, just been a little dormant!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Finally all that desert property we own is gonna be beach front. Welcome to the new beaches of Nevada!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm in UK. Have no experience of EQ (only tremors when we lived in a mining village when I was a kid in Africa) Here in Brit there's nothing regarding this swarm in the MSM. If swarms of this magnitude was a regular occurence or has happened before, they would've done a "It's that time of the year again" piece, like they do with meteor showers etc. The fact that there's nothing reported in MSM would have me grabbing my coat, as they have a habit of reporting AFTER the major event, not the lead-up (except for the Olympics, right?)
No news is good news? Not always...

But then again, like I said, no experience of EQ, so maybe I'm just over dramatic in my response. The idea of having just a few M4 quakes makes me shivver, don't even mention a few hundred. They're saying thousands in the next few weeks!
YIKES!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by earthart

I believe* that come Tuesday (28th August), there will be 2 major weather related crisis, and 1 major earthquake, the scale of which we haven't yet fathomed. Now I am not trying to predict anything here...this is just a gut feeling.

I want to be wrong, and I pray I am wrong. Still, I have penned it here, because this is a website where we can share our thoughts. As far as volcanic eruption is concerned, I did not see it in my dream.

* I had a bad dream.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownEntity
... Now I am not trying to predict anything here...this is just a gut feeling.

Yet, that is exactly what you are doing.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

Feel free to put your dream info here www.abovetopsecret.com... as it is a thread where you can feel free to tell your dream just in case the dream is significant to the quake activity.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
As you mentioned OP, I heard something not long ago that Californians tend to prefer these smaller quakes as it shows that plate stress is dissipating over a period of time rather than in just one huge slip,crunch or tear (can't remember the type of plates over there). I'm no seismologist though, so I'm not sure if this theory is true.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by Signals

Anyone else here in So Cal? I am far enough away, I don't feel anything but is anyone feeling "different"' today?

I am personally, just wondering, most likely coincidental.

I live 90 miles from the quakes out in Joshua Tree, thought I felt a jolt but could have been coming from the Marine base . My dog has been acting different and I do feel "different" today as you do.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nimsu1987
As you mentioned OP, I heard something not long ago that Californians tend to prefer these smaller quakes as it shows that plate stress is dissipating over a period of time rather than in just one huge slip,crunch or tear (can't remember the type of plates over there). I'm no seismologist though, so I'm not sure if this theory is true.

Exactly right... and that is usually the case.

The only concern I would have is if a quake was large enough to trigger a huge slip in another location that perhaps HASN'T been releasing all of the stress.

California is no stranger to quakes, and they are kind of over due for a huge one .. there were a lot seismologists concerned that the quake that triggered the Japanese tsunami might cause a chain reaction of quakes that would spark an event in California... one of those I saw on some interview said something like that could even take a year or so to happen.

Let's hope that isn't the case.. and lets hope this series of little earthquakes is nothing more than some needed "stress relief" rather than something that triggers a bigger event.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I did find these, so at least some news outlets are talking about it..

Washington Post:

Magnitude-5.3 quake, dozens of smaller shocks rattle Imperial, San Diego counties in Calif.

Fox News:

Series of Earthquakes Rattle California

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
i am not familiar with earthquake technicalities but is all this normal?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jocelynuk
i am not familiar with earthquake technicalities but is all this normal?

From the fox news article I posted above ..

"We're all on edge here," said George Nava, the mayor of Brawley, a town of 25,000. "It's not uncommon for us to have earthquakes out here, but at this frequency and at this magnitude it's fairly unusual."

and

The last major swarm was in 2005, following a magnitude-5.1 quake, she said.

Sunday's quake cluster occurred in what scientists call a transition zone between the Imperial and San Andreas faults, so they weren't assigning the earthquakes to either fault, Graves said.

Sounds like it's not "normal", but it's also not unprecedented
edit on 8/27/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is one headline that really caught my eye. Based on all the information about the fault area I would be very worried if I lived in that area. Edgar Cayce made a prediction that when the big one hits the new coast line would be somewhere in Nevada. Who Knows?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hi Guys,
I HIGHLY suggest you all watch some video's posted by this guy on youtube.. he knows whats going on, so listen up! xoxo
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I also had a bad dream last night, one about the world ending. It felt very real...I woke up quite startled. Then I log on this morning to see all this about the quakes....hmm...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

There is where the activity went and centered itself into a big one. Just as in 1906, when a huge volcano blew in Italy, and then the San Francisco earthquake hit, the Brawley swarm was a warning on one edge of a plate, before it slipped hard on another edge.

7.3 in El Salvador, nothing to sneeze at. People in Cali should be breathing a sigh of relief now, and hopefully this swarm will settle down.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Funny how no one on this thread seems to have said that the USGS downscaled their Magnitude Rating system by -1 so that the public does not see the major quakes happening. So if its now a 4.0 it in reality is a 5.0 and so on.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join