It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California going off!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
ALL OF THIS SHAKING IS A GOOD THING!

ITS RELEASING PRESSURE IN SMALL BURSTS, IF THERE IS A LARGE QUAKE IT WILL BE WAY SMALLER THAN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT ALL OF THE THESE LITTLE ONES RELEASING STEAM...

BE THANKFUL FOR ALL THE LITTLE QUAKES!!!!!

Calm down there cowboy.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm in Riverside County...haven't felt a thing here. Dog's have been sleeping as usual.

Most of those quakes are so small, the 3's and 2's you wouldn't even notice them.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I hate to be crude, but it's the earths way of slowly letting a fart out as opposed to just blasting a Heavy Metal symphony and then having to apologize for it.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I for one welcome our new Moleman overlords!

Oh and I think everything will be okay, there doesn't seem to be a warning anywhere.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
I noticed the Sultan Sea is north of where the earthquakes are occurring.

Is there a dam there? Is there a way that that lake could bust or flow over?

If so, and is compromised, that would wash that little town right off the map.

I noticed the lake lays directly on the San Andreas fault.

Too perfect.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

The Salton Sea is an accidentally created lake. There is no dam, it lies below sea level. It's salinity is higher than the Pacific Ocean. About the only fish in it are Tilapia. It was originally a resort area back in the 40's, 50's. Now it's mostly abandoned with a few small communities along the shore where snowbirds go in the winter or people go off the grid. Slab City is one of the communities.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

All good in Apple Valley as well everyone. And as I'm sure members have posted already. Cali used to get this way all the time. Tho it hasn't been in quite awhile, I would wait for what is building up first to leave it's mark. That way no one has to risk being wrong and suffer the ATS gauntlet/guillotine as I like to make reference.

Peace and Safety

edit on 26-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Too perfect.

Not sure if there is a dam. But perhaps volcanoes.

Potential for volcanic activity in Salton Sea

The Salton Buttes are a line of four small volcanoes on the southeastern shore of the Salton Sea near Calipatria, about 100 miles east of San Diego. Scientists estimate they last erupted between 6,500 and 10,000 years ago -- which at least technically classifies them as active.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Too perfect.

The Salton Sea is an accidentally created lake. There is no dam, it lies below sea level. It's salinity is higher than the Pacific Ocean. About the only fish in it are Tilapia. It was originally a resort area back in the 40's, 50's. Now it's mostly abandoned with a few small communities along the shore where snowbirds go in the winter or people go off the grid. Slab City is one of the communities.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

From your wiki link

The Salton Sea and surrounding basin sits over the San Andreas Fault, San Jacinto Fault, Imperial Fault Zone, and a "stepover fault" shear zone system. American researchers determined that previous flooding episodes from the Colorado River have been linked to earthquakes along the San Andreas Fault. Sonar and other instruments were used to map the Salton Sea's underwater faults during the study. During the period when the basin was filled by Lake Cahuilla, a much larger inland sea, earthquakes higher than magnitude 7 occurred roughly every 180 years, the last one occurring within decades of the year 1700. Computer models suggest that the normal faults in the area are most vulnerable to deviatoric stress loading by the in-filling of water. Currently, a risk still exists for an earthquake of magnitude 7 or 8. Simulations also showed that in the Los Angeles area, shaking and thus damage would be more severe for a San Andreas earthquake that propagated along the fault from the south, rather than from the north. Such an earthquake also raises the risk for soil liquefaction in the Imperial Valley region.[26]

That sounds kinda scary.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

KENT BROCKMAN!

ahh that made me laugh!

on topic

is this normal, this many small quakes? can any chime in ?
edit on 26-8-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
As a 31 year resident of the state (and the Bay Area no less, so I lived through the big '89 quake) I can say that this seems perfectly normal to me. We get little flurries of moderate to smallish quakes now and then. I remember one time in the early 2000s (can't remember when exactly) we had a 3 or 4 what seemed like every day, sometimes twice in a day, for about a week straight. It can be a little alarming, but it's something we have learned to live with here.

Not saying this doesn't mean a big one will happen. In fact, eventually it's guaranteed to happen. It's just a matter of when. But these flurries aren't out of the ordinary or, on their own, cause for concern. That said, always be prepared if you live in a quake prone area. Always.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Found this video about the mud volcanos of the Salton Sea.

Mud volcanoes of the Salton Sea / Imperial Valley, California

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

As a 31 year resident of the state (and the Bay Area no less, so I lived through the big '89 quake) I can say that this seems perfectly normal to me. We get little flurries of moderate to smallish quakes now and then. I remember one time in the early 2000s (can't remember when exactly) we had a 3 or 4 what seemed like every day, sometimes twice in a day, for about a week straight. It can be a little alarming, but it's something we have learned to live with here.

Not saying this doesn't mean a big one will happen. In fact, eventually it's guaranteed to happen. It's just a matter of when. But these flurries aren't out of the ordinary or, on their own, cause for concern. That said, always be prepared if you live in a quake prone area. Always.

This is significantly more than 3 or 4...
edit on 26-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I agree. 3 or 4 is minor compared to the hundreds they have had today down there.... when someone says this is nothing to worry about.... thats when u better start worrying!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Ha! StealthyKat, your reply to Phenomium's totally ridiculous comment makes this entire thread.

One of my favorite quotes: "Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." - Timothy Leary

As a young man, I tend to agree.

BTW, not taking a shot at you Phenomium, but do not agree with your portrayal of women or girls as weak.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

There are always significantly more than 3 or 4 quakes a day. I was just talking about quakes that I could feel where I live. There are routinely hundreds, perhaps thousands of small quakes a day in California. As someone who lives here and routinely checks in on our seismic activity on USGS as a casual observer, this is not out of the ordinary to my mind. There don't appear to be significantly more quakes on the maps than there usually are. Maybe the magnitude is a little elevated, but I'm not going to be alarmed personally.

Just one person's opinion, mind you.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Type: Earthquake
25 minutes ago
Magnitude: 2.1
DateTime: Monday August 27 2012, 04:11:34 UTC
Region: Central California
Depth: 0 km
Source: USGS Feed

Question?

When the depth is very close to the surface, "as above" what size will do damage to structures?

I don't understand 0 km for depth????

edit on 26-8-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
looks like another descent size one...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
5.1 just now

earthquake.usgs.gov...

abclocal.go.com...

Wow 7.4 added just now in "El Salvador" which is off the coast of Nicaragua. (this was added after the 5.1 in cali even tho it happend before the 5.1)
edit on 26-8-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)
edit on 26-8-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Alright. I'm glad we understand each other.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Ongoing activity. All around the Ring of Fire...

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join