It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train Passengers Face Airport-Style Security

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

news.sky.com

The UK Governement are wanting airport style security scanners at rail stations to combat knife crime and terrorism, with particular emphasis on the London Underground.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Well i guessed sooner or later this was going to happen. What has annoyed me with this is that the Government are using the terrorism threat as an excuse for this to be set up. We in the UK had terrorism on our doorstep thank you very much when the IRA was busy blowing people up back in the 1970s and 1980s. We did not have this mentality back then, so why introduce this scanner idea now? It is shameful that the population are sleepwalking into a nation which is losing more and more freedoms under a morally corrupt political system and in some cases criminally corrupt political system (I am thinking of the expenses scandal and Murdoch here)

We have a perfectly good Army in the UK (would be even better if the Govt did not cut the defense budget leaving the UK more vunerable) and we dont need this draconian move. I just think this is another nail in the coffin for the freedoms we had in the UK.

news.sky.com

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

We in the UK had terrorism on our doorstep thank you very much when the IRA was busy blowing people up back in the 1970s and 1980s. We did not have this mentality back then, so why introduce this scanner idea now?

I believe that the technology is here now and the government is using it as a tool to put us all on queue! Speaking of which, can you imagine the queue to get on the tube if everyone has to be scanned? Time to dust off my bicycle!

Good find, bad idea!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

It's Happening every where,even in Canada here....I live on the border of USA and get searched for buying milk.Can't fly anywhere because of the intrusions of my privacy...yet every thing is gonna explode right..I can see our trains next.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss

news.sky.com

The UK Governement are wanting airport style security scanners at rail stations to combat knife crime and terrorism, with particular emphasis on the London Underground.

well i dont go to london very often, but having used the tube there last month, and experiencing the mobs trying to get through a handfull of turnstyles, it'll be a laugh seeing them trying to make this work!
and the IRA point is most valid - considering how often things went kaboom in the 70's through to the 90's, i really cant see the british people, historically famous for not being bothered by bombs, accepting this.

From the article too, it's a proposal atm, and looks as if they want to scan a "sample"/25% of folk - the whole idea just hasnt been thought through and is full of holes at present - most likely it will be subject to massive change or will just disappear...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
i envision in about a decade, everyone in america will be working for a security company or building weapons..

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
More money for the tories corporate bum chums no doubt.Hopefully this and numerous other things the tories and the liberals are doing ensures they never get into power again(and i thought labour were bad!).when will england learn to stop voting bloody torie?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I could not agree more the ira was a constant threat in the uk and there was nothing like this happening ,all you had was threat levels and that was it,
After a so called terrorist attack in the usa they bring in all these terrorist acts in the uk its just not right ,
I was in the military when the pira threat was on , you could not walk the streets in uniform you was in danger catching a train or bus in them days

edit on 26-8-2012 by seethetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss

Well i guessed sooner or later this was going to happen. What has annoyed me with this is that the Government are using the terrorism threat as an excuse for this to be set up. We in the UK had terrorism on our doorstep thank you very much when the IRA was busy blowing people up back in the 1970s and 1980s. We did not have this mentality back then, so why introduce this scanner idea now?

I agree with the general thrust of your argument, but this part here is pretty self-defeating. The IRA were indeed busy blowing up England in the 70s, 80s and 90s (I was in Manchester City Centre in 1996 when the bomb blew there) but, as you point out, we didn't have scanners or half the technology back then we do now. There's an argument that there would have been less of this kind of thing if we were using these measures back then.

Here's something that is not widely known and says something about the 'motives' of the IRA &c. After the bombing in Manchester, quite a bit of the property development that followed was linked to people that had connections with Irish paramilitary groups. Ker-boom or Ker-ching?

Also, I found it interesting that during the Olympics, despite it being a supposed 'terrorist magnet', I only saw police on the Tube once and only saw police a couple of time across London generally.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

After a so called terrorist attack in the usa they bring in all these terrorist acts in the uk its just not right ,

edit on 26-8-2012 by seethetruth because: (no reason given)

Ah, 9-11, the day terrorism was invented.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
More money for the tories corporate bum chums no doubt.Hopefully this and numerous other things the tories and the liberals are doing ensures they never get into power again(and i thought labour were bad!).when will england learn to stop voting bloody torie?

Sadly, being as left wing as they come, I have to point out that this kind of corporate cronyism happens within (New) Labour too. Career politicians come in all political stripes and hues and invariably they've all got their eye on the big(ger) money they earn outside of political offices.

Morals and civil liberties don't mean a thing when an afternoon a week seat on a board of some multi-national will easily pull in £100k a year for a few years. It's even easier when they actually did the real work previously whilst still in political office. What they do afterwards as directors &c is schmooze with the ex-work mates still in office and keep that gravy train rolling.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well I guess the US and UK big pharma is already salivating with all the cancer epidemic the scanners are going to cause on the people, if you travel all the time and subject your body to unnecessary radiation due to poor maintenance and calibration of the scanners, because let faced budget cuts mean the machines are poorly maintain, you will get cancer eventually.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Yep... just read it on skynews website....

I knew this was coming since 7/7... just knew it would be introduced a some point... the thing is, its a very bad intrusion .... people carry bags with personal things in and because they have to for work stuff but this is going to go way further...

There are easier ways to stop any threats.... one would be to keep track of all the supposed terrorists as soon as they enter the UK... they can do this by putting trackers on each ones ankles or wrists.... they can also deport known terror suspects as soon as they enter the UK.... what about not letting any in in the first place??

All overseas Citizens arriving from Countries which pose a threat should not be allowed in until a thorough investigation has been compiled!!

Lets not forget that this new Security would be aimed at the normal everyday guy just going about his business as the suspected terrorists wont be traveling on the Underground everyday...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

lol
just follow the money

who's gonna provide and install the scanners?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

True, but I foresee the UK following suit with the situation in the US in which the govt is redefining terrorists to include basically anyone who disagrees with the government, aka "domestic terrorists". I guess they couldn't dig up enough stereotypical middle eastern terrorists to scare us into submission (vast majority of our middle east Muslim immigrants seem very quiet and willing to assimilate into western culture or accept living within it for the most part).

I've been participating in another thread where the OP asks if we've noticed more of a police or military presence. I talked about how we suburban middle class boring parents are indeed being pulled over, watched, and frequently "chatted up" by the local police. What I've noticed about the ever intrusive police presence is that it goes hand in hand with enforcing ever increasing fines on a spate of newer intrusive nitpicky ordinances most of us never noticed before. Speed cameras are now portable and set up on practically every road, everywhere, ostensibly to protect the children near schools. Haha...don't be fooled, it's a revenue machine.

Now I've heard of new proposals where you can opt out of certain TSA searches by participating in pre screening...for a fee, of course.

This security business is very lucrative to people who own a direct line to legislators in the US. I don't know if that's the case in the UK but it would not surprise me. It's not all just about big brother and invading our privacy and cowing the serfs. It's the schoolyard bully shaking us down for our lunch money.
edit on 26-8-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
In relation to this, I came across an interesting recent news story, about what appears to be police entrapment on the UK trains!

IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT POSSIBLE POLICE ENTRAPMENT ON THE LONDON UNDERGROUND

EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT:

On Wednesday 18 July 2012, two of us were on the Victoria Line Tube in Finsbury Park at 11:50 pm and headed north to Walthamstow. A white male (6’ 2”, 17 stone, white with pock marked skin, around 36) in casual clothes was standing inside the train by the doors holding onto the vertical rail. We were on the other side of the carriage sat down facing him.

As we sat down and saw a knife on the ground I asked the man standing: “Is that yours?” There was no response and he refused to look at us directly or acknowledge the question. We made a joke about being Al Queda as one of us had picked it up off the floor. He showed no response whatsoever.
Full Story

Looks like TPTB will do anything to fulfill their agenda

edit on 26-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't see this lasting too long. As others have mentioned, and I can attest to. We have lived through the IRA without all these draconian measures. I personally shall not submit to these.

The first thing to cross my mind when i read the title of this thread was, lets research how small and viable are mini emp's these days.

I, for one, fully intend to get arrested for putting my boot through one of these radiation scanners, long before I allow myself or my child to go through one.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

If that's true it's very scary. I know of very few parents who wouldn't remove something like that just to ensure a child wouldn't come across it. Of course one would turn it in, but it doesn't sound like they'd necessarily give a person the chance. It's something to think about.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

One can make the argument that a plane, once in the air, becomes an air born missle. How the heck does a train become a threat to anything???? So we know that it does not. So for those with half a brain can begin to realize that it is about control...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
I don't see this lasting too long. As others have mentioned, and I can attest to. We have lived through the IRA without all these draconian measures. I personally shall not submit to these.

The first thing to cross my mind when i read the title of this thread was, lets research how small and viable are mini emp's these days.

I, for one, fully intend to get arrested for putting my boot through one of these radiation scanners, long before I allow myself or my child to go through one.

you are the sort of person that we need all of us need to kick off ,But i guarantee when everybody does kick of and protest with out the authorities permission they will start shooting and killing people much the same as Bahrain and lybia

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join