It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.W.Emmerson about commodity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Whoever considers the final cause of the world will discern a multitude of uses that enter parts into that result.They all admit of being thrown into one of the following classes;Commodity;Beauty;Language;and Discipline.

Under the general name of commodity I rank all those advantages which are senses owe to nature.This,of course,is a benefit which is temporary and mediate,not ultimate,like its service to the soul.Yet although low,it is perfect in its kind and is the only use of nature which all men apprehend.The misery of man appears like childish petulance when we explore the steady and prodigal provision that has been made for his support and delight that has been made for this green ball which floats him through the heavens..What angels invented these splendid ornaments,these rich conveniences,this firmament of earth between?this zodiac of lights,this tent of dropping clouds,this striped coat of climates,this fourfold year?Beasts,fire,stones and corn serve him.The field is at once his floor,his work-yard,his play ground,his garden,and his bed.

copyright 1941 by Walter J.black,inc

Very interesting read, I thought I must share.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I really don't have anything to add... other than sharing one of my favorites:

ok, two of mine...

The second is more constant; as being regulated by some desire, and design. For the impression made by such things as we desire, or fear, is strong, and permanent, or, if it cease for a time, of quick return: so strong it is sometimes, as to hinder and break our sleep. From desire, ariseth the thought of some means we have seen produce the like of that which we aim at; and from the thought of that, the thought of means to that mean; and so continually, till we come to some beginning within our own power. And because the end, by the greatness of the impression, comes often to mind, in case our thoughts begin to wander, they are quickly again reduced into the way: which observed by one of the seven wise men, made him give men this precept, which is now worn out, Respice finem; that is to say, in all your actions, look often upon what you would have, as the thing that directs all your thoughts in the way to attain it.

For by art is created that great Leviathan called a Commonwealth, or State, in Latin Civitas, which is but an artificial man; though of greater stature and strength than the natural, for whose protection and defence it was intended; and in which the sovereignty is an artificial soul, as giving life and motion to the whole body; the magistrates, and other officers of judicature and execution, artificial joints; reward and punishment, by which fastened to the seat of the sovereignty every joint and member is moved to perform his duty, are the nerves, that do the same in the body natural; the wealth and riches of all the particular members, are the strength; salus populi, the people’s safety, its business; counsellors, by whom all things needful for it to know are suggested unto it, are the memory; equity, and laws, an artificial reason and will; concord, health; sedition, sickness; and civil war, death. Lastly, the pacts and covenants, by which the parts of this body politic were at first made, set together, and united, resemble that fiat, or the let us make man, pronounced by God in the creation.

oll.libertyfund.org...

Thomas Hobbes, The English Works, vol. III (Leviathan) [1651]

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

in all your actions, look often upon what you would have, as the thing that directs all your thoughts in the way to attain it.
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Very nice literature....thanks for the add-on

join