It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2012 Election will be decided by Latinos.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
For those of you that don't know...The constitutional theory behind the indirect election of both the President and Vice President of the United States is that while the Congress is popularly elected by the people,The President and Vice President are elected to be executives of a federation of independent states.
source: en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

So what is an Indirect election?
Indirect election is a process in which voters in an election do not actually choose between candidates for an office but rather elect persons who will then make the choice. It is one of the oldest form of elections and is still used today for many upper houses and presidents. The election of the US President is an indirect election. Voters elect the electoral college, which then elects the President.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So who selects the Electors?

The process for selecting Electors varies throughout the United States. Generally, the political parties nominate Electors at their State party conventions or by a vote of the party’s central committee in each State. Each candidate will have their own unique slate of potential Electors as a result of this part of the selection process.
Source: www.archives.gov...

A searching for: 2012 US state appointed electorates yielded the following result: www.naleo.org... which clearly states:
"As the nation’s fastest growing electorate, Latino voters will determine the outcome of the 2012 Presidential contest and key races throughout the nation. This discussion focuses on the critical role of the Latino vote in Election 2012, and efforts to mobilize the Latino electorate. Panelists will also address the opportunities for Latinos to gain new seats in Congress, and efforts to combat state voter suppression legislation."

Still think your vote might count in the slightest?
www.archives.gov...

So there you go, hopefully this heads up allows you to prepare for what's coming in the next 4 years.

Edit: Mods if this is in the wrong place which I think it is please move it...
edit on 26-8-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: wrong forum?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

Forgive me, I don't understand why it's racist.

i agree that the headline could just as easilly been "The 2012 Election will be decided by Catholics." Or Women, or the Young, or any other group with more than about 5% of the vote. But I don't understand the racism charge.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This election is such a mess that nobody knows how it'll turn out. Some "experts" are saying Romney will win, others are saying Romney has a very small following within many minority groups, and so on. I don't think a single ethnicity will determine anything, as I'd like to hope people don't vote a certain way based on ethnicity alone.

I find these neo-con "republicans" so repugnant that there is no way in hell I'm supporting them, especially after their treatment of Ron Paul. I don't think Obama is any better of a choice than Romney; they both suck, so I'm likely not going to bother voting this year.

The third party guy, Gary something, seems like a decent choice but he has no chance of winning in our sham of a democracy so a vote for him, even if it's in protest, is a waste.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

I never understood why the GOP never was able to lock the latino/hispanic vote. All of them I know of are socially conservative and catholic. What is the GOP doing wrong?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

And what you are saying is,In the end,the vote does not count from the majority but by the minority influence?I have never voted so I can't complain.Although the process baffles me,the flawlessness always intrigues.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This isn't a racist post I am stating fact the Latin American population will decide the vote this election. Simply because that is the segment of the population that; political party's have chosen to be electors for the Electoral College this time around. It doesn't matter what race you are, when voting in the general population; your vote will never count. The only way any citizen of the USA's vote will count; under current election processes is: If they are; nominated by their political party to be a member of the Electoral College.

The process of our elections is very very clear if the post and links are read; and comprehended...I understand that the headline would be a jump point to just start a reply; but please refrain from being reactionary, and read the information contained in the post. I understand that people go out and vote for President every 4 years BUT IT DOES NOT COUNT or MATTER who the general population votes for...It is a POLL or better put a SURVEY to see who the general population would choose for president; it is not an actual vote for who takes office.

I'm not sure how this is confusing to people; other than bad education.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

removed by OP
edit on 26-8-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

I never understood why the GOP never was able to lock the latino/hispanic vote. All of them I know of are socially conservative and catholic. What is the GOP doing wrong?

Not granting citizenship. If the democrats ever actually got Amnesty through and passed, it'd be self defeating by removing the issue from the table, and thus losing the majority of the Latino vote. The Latino's I know are just like every other American.. their biggest concern is whether they're going to have a job tomorrow, only they also have to worry about if the person in office is going to start launching ICE raids and rounding up Illegals. IMO the legal status issue is the only thing really holding them to the Democrats.

(by the way, Catholics normally vote Democrat by a good percentage. All those Blue North East states? Catholics.)
edit on 8/26/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Interesting...I thought the election would be decided by Americans.

Silly me.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Since the political parties have decided that members of the Latino population, will hold posts as the Electorates in the upcoming election. It is indeed interesting to see the political maneuvering taking place.

I personally, think it's a good thing even though my vote counts as nothing, but a survey statistic. This decision stays true to the melting pot idea this country was founded on.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

You are correct; Latin Americans.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
wrong it will be decided by blacks

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Is your thread title intended to be scary, a warning, a statement of "fact", or what is its intention?

The 2012 Election will be decided by Latinos

Of course all participating voters will have a say in the upcoming elections, whether directly or indirectly, the point of the article you link is simply pointing out a rapidly growing segment of American society now is Latino and they have been somewhat under-represented in the past but are growing much more influential now and in coming years.

Your OP is somewhat misleading in that you start to build a case about the electoral process and its use of the electoral college for direct selection of the US President making our own votes "indirect" and less significant in selection our nation's Executive. This was demonstrated in year 2000 during Bush/Gore when Gore had won the popular vote in a close election but Bush won the Electoral vote - with intervention by the US Supreme Court to stop a state-mandated Florida recount.

You seem to confuse the term "electorate" which simply means the voters, though when speaking of the presidential election it may specifically refer to the Electoral College. To the best of my knowledge there has been no efforts to stack the electoral college with Latinos, so the term electorate as per the article simply refers to that growing segment of voters that are becoming a more decisive factor in today's elections.

There remains pigmented cultural boundaries to hurdle that will play a greater part as this new voting block increases in size. This could make John Ellis "Jeb" Bush a likely favorite due to his traditional white family heritage augmented by his marriage to a Mexican wife. His swarthy son is likely to go places in his political career as the electorate swings away from the WASPy old-school candidates. This is just the wave of the political future in America so grab your surfboard and hop on.

A little color and excitement on the US scene could help breathe some new character into American life which has become rather myopic and culturally bland, in some peoples' opinions. Are there many non-Latinos in the US that speak or are learning Spanish, which is a dominant language in our hemisphere? This could be a good time to broaden outlooks and horizons and start learning it. It could only help to possibly increase job prospects and promote communication on a wider level, certainly no harm it would bring in doing so.

edit on 26-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
OK, I am Spanish born and raise in the Island of PR I am also an American citizen, I careless about amnesty as I believe illegals have no rights in the US and I have never been faced with racism because my racial profile.

I guess when it comes to that I can give anybody a lip whe out of place.

Still I see this misconception that Latinos in the country have a big say so in the matters of elections, well the only way that elections can be decided by Latinos is if the parties involved manage to have all illegals voting with a promise of citizenship because honestly if you are a latino or Hispanic already a citizen and established you really don't care what goes on with illegals unless you got your entire family living with you unemployed due to status.

In my case I care more about corruption, unemployment and the economy that is what is affecting me.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The electoral college *usually* votes according to the popular votes of their area. While they can vote however they want most do not usually vote contrary to what the people vote. So if more Latino people are put in the electoral college nothing will change. However, Latino voters could be a huge deciding factor in the upcoming election but only if most of them vote. A voting bloc only has power if it shows up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
there are still months to go... for even undocumented Latinos to get legal IDs & drivers licenses to then be able to vote in a bunch more states.
'

i would like to see if there's any back-lash because of the Fast-&-Furious caper that supplied weapons to Mexican Drug Cartels which then indiscriminately butchered many innocent Mexican nationals both in Mexico and in the SW USA states

thats a point which none of the Parties are pushing...the repugs could demonize Øbama for his part in helping the drug cartels to do mass beheadings of Mexican Latinos that followed the illegal gun shipments to the same drug cartels....no wonder many flee to the USA---to excape a genocide aided by a administration that is demonic

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This election will be decided by whoever lies the most.

Romney and Obama are both really good liars.

So its up in the air.

All I know is that I wont vote for neither one of them!

I really dislike Obama- but after the stunts that the GOP and the RNC pulled this year- I could not in my right mind vote for Romney.

I am either going to A- vote for Johnson-or B- write in Ron Paul. It will probably be B.

Edit- or C- Not vote for the lies at all this election season.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Common Good because: Edit

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
electors vote based on the popular vote of their state.
some states have more electors than others.

no less than 3
no more than 20

this is why they focus on winning states, because they get the whole of the electors from that state.

obama could win the popular vote overall, but loose the electorates.

only the electorates count.

i'am afraid this might actually happen this time around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join