It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pompeii:The Last Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The final twenty four hours of Pompeii will be Tweeted in this reconsruction taken from a first hand account of Pliny the Younger who was a nephew to Pliny the Elder Roman scholar and Admiral who took command of the evacuation of Pompeii
dayinpompeii.com...
Tweets and Google Street View of Pompeii

The city's cataclysmic final day will be retweeted as it happened from the Twitter account Elder_Pliny, who has been brought to life by experts from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

www.dmns.org...
Pompeii Final Day

1933 years ago the people of Pompeii were buried by Vesuvius
Most if not all of the Pompeiians did not know the nearby mountain could be so destructive
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Cran

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
To bad I am not hip enough to tweet.

Anyone here care to copy them and post onto ATS?

What a cool thing to do.

ETA - never mind, I just realized those were the tweets on the left of the first link. (I think)
edit on 25-8-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Can not copy all of them

Walking through town. We can see broad sheets of flames rising from Pompeii. t.co... #pompeii24

But they are on this link
dayinpompeii.com...

Cran

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

S & F

What I find truly amazing about the site is how modern looking the remaining structures appear. It truly is a Ghost town type situation. The first time I researched it for another thread I got lost in thought over what they must have gone through those last moments of their lives.

Truly an interesting subject.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The preservation of Pompeii and Herculaneum is almost unique
Pompeii street

And a reconstruction of what the streets may have looked like

Would not look out of place now

Cran

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

S & F

What I find truly amazing about the site is how modern looking the remaining structures appear. It truly is a Ghost town type situation. The first time I researched it for another thread I got lost in thought over what they must have gone through those last moments of their lives.

Truly an interesting subject.

It's a subject i have spent quite a bit of time looking at,as interesting as it is to research i always wonder like yourself what went through their minds when they saw the massive ash cloud rising..
amazement ?
scared ?
confused ?

It shows how things can change in an instant & there is nothing we can do about it.

S+F

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The animation does not really show the mountain as imposing as it really is:

Now add a few hundred feet in height to this picture, which was blown away during the eruption. You see the saddle between the two peaks? Just draw a line upwards from both peaks until they meet. That was how big the mountain was BEFORE the eruption. It was very similar to the Mt. St. Helens eruption in Washington State in 1980, though I believe Vesuvius was bigger.

Pompeii is at the base here. This picture was taken at sea just a short ways off the coast. Pompeii would be to the right. Herculaneum is just right of middle, to the right of the sailboat. Those low lying buildings are the restoration.
edit on 8/27/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

It is amazingly well preserved. Studied this a bit over the years and it keeps revealing things. Seeing some of the petrified people and their positions showed how awful it was.

There have been a few good tv things in the UK on this recently, that are more in depth than the usual surface gloss of these. This one is good, made by a Pompeii expert and Professor at Cambridge, if anyone wants to see it in iplayer.

Also there are interviews on youtube, very interesting

the program

edit on 30-8-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

join