It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Hopeful Reintroduction to God

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

edit on 26-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Have you considered Islam or one of the other faiths?

Why immediately Christian, especially as the "sign" spoke of God as a singular God, and not of Jesus or a trinity in particular?

Not that there's anything wrong with any other opinions, but maybe it points elsewhere eventually because there was nothing particularly "Christian" in that sign that couldn't apply to other faiths.
edit on 26-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

What are you talking about? "Elohim" is a plural noun in Hebrew used in a singular context, everytime you see it technically it's a grammatical error. The word for "one" in the Shema means one in unity, not numerically. The same Hebrew word is used when it says Adam and Eve became "one" flesh.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Why immediately Christian, especially as the "sign" spoke of God as a singular God, and not of Jesus or a trinity in particular?

Not that there's anything wrong with any other opinions, but maybe it points elsewhere eventually because there was nothing particularly "Christian" in that sign that couldn't apply to other faiths.

Those are all just man made religions. Jesus is the only real God. Don't you ever tap into your 6th sense? It your gut instinct. And or your conscience. They both tell you inherently what's right and wrong. What's true and false. Thats' how God communicates to most people. All you have to do is concentrate on that and ask "Is Christianity the right choice, the only true God" and you're gut will then tell you. You don't have to play guessing games in life with religion or anything else. You should read the book called: malcolm gladwell blink

You can tap into what's right and wrong in life so you have a compass to guide you. You don't have to try and figure things out. Allow your pride and ego to rule you and make bad desicions for you. You can actually figure it out as many of us have. Just try tuning into your gutt, your instinct, your 6th sense, and God. That's one of the reasons why he knows it's the true path.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

That's what your 6th sense might say, but millions of others clearly have a different "inherent" 6th sense when they give up their pride and submit to other faiths.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

(Hugs!) First of all, I'm sorry you've had a terrible time of things! My condolences on your loss as well.

Prayer is definitely a huge step and is more important than we often recognize. Here are some resources on prayer that you may find helpful (I have found them to be so- anyway).

www.fatheralexander.org...

It is not an easy road for anyone, but there is always hope. May God continue to guide you to Himself.

I personally find myself turning to the Jesus Prayer during the day. I've even awakened during the night saying it during nightmares. It is part of my prayer rule (that I'm actually terrible at following- so I should take my own advice).

The Jesus Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Well go worship budda then, see how far that gets you k

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Buddha wasn't a God.

So that's the one faith (at least in the original form) that the OP's omen when taken literally actually wouldn't apply to.

But yes, why not consider taking up Buddhism?

Where would it get people that's so bad?

There are many successful Buddhists, and countries with large Buddhist populations that are very nice.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

You're assuming that the OP hasn't looked at other religions and philosophies. We don't know either way.

I know I certainly looked into just about everything before becoming Orthodox. Sometimes, you just have a conversion experience (and that was enough for me and my formerly agnostic husband). Even then, I had to become a Catechumen for months before being Chrismated as we had to learn about the faith.

I do agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with educating oneself about various world religions and philosophies. Conversion is a decision that one should take seriously. It never hurts to do your research. It is a very big commitment and it shouldn't be one you go into blindly.

On that note, I will post a few things that it certainly wouldn't hurt anyone to read that explain the Christian faith fairly well, should they be so interested.

www.fatheralexander.org... (part 1)
www.fatheralexander.org... (part 2)

And, anyone who is interested in becoming a Christian should find a church to attend. You're more than welcome to visit an Orthodox Church in your area. Visiting doesn't lock one into becoming anything. Come and see.

orthodoxyinamerica.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

I didn't assume anything, I posed a question, and I clearly said that I'm not questioning the opinions of the other posters.

I'd actually love to visit an Orthodox Church as you propose, but there's none close to me, and the closest to that is probably Catholic.

Here such churches are more centered around certain expat communities and not that common outside urban centers.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MinistryOfFact

That's great advice....it took me awhile to find a church like that. I actually played guitar in my churches praise and worship team and became comvicted that the whole "contemporary worship" was just wrong. I wound up coaching my sons church league basketball team at a different church at around the same time and attended a wed. night service there and the message was about the new vs. tradational church debate...i was convinced and after attending wed. services there for a few months changed churches and have never been happier. Im so glad to have a pastor who i never am bored by...in three years at my previous church all my kids got out of it was cool music as far as i can tell...it only took five weeks for my oldest to take a kneeand get saved...so God spoke to me thru conviction and then provided the answer to that conviction with a basketball league....but you're right about a good church...and especially the fellowship part. People that say that u don't have to go to church to be a christian are at the very least missing out on a blessing and at the worst they're just plain wrong...(hebrews 10:25)...

I was only complementing what you had already stated, the word enacted by the sanctified through the Spirit.
Poetry
edit on 27-8-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Well, imo, Father forgives freely... The question is... Can and will you forgive yourself and not love what you have done? Given my perspective as of this current moment, it's harder to forgive yourself... most of the times, I'm really ashamed to the point of avoidance, which is a big flaw of mine I have to conquer.

If you make that decision to forgive yourself, another chance will appear before you... and it will be a test... and it will be of a similar event concerning stealing and addiction. This is a refining moment for you and I know you can do it!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

There are many verses which substantiate the trinity God. That being God the father, Jesus the son, and The Holy Spirit. All with equal power, all 3 distinctive personalities, and all being as one God. So each basically had a distinct role in the universe as the bible details.

Basically the trinity is one of the cornerstones of Christianity. If a religion doesn't have this and various other key essencials it is not accepted by main stream Christianity. That's why only two parties of Christianity are in existants. Which are Protestants, and Catholics. Churches such as Mormons and Johovis Witnesses, call themselves Christian but are not accepted by main stream Protestants and Catholics as legitimate as they don't believe in the Trinity.

To learn more about the Trinity there's endless videos on youtube that can explain it better than I can. The main basic points work like this:

God the Father - Created the universe
Jesus - Came to earth in human form to show us who God is in a form we could relate to, teach us, and be the ultimate sacrifice for all sin for those who believe and accept.
The Holy Spirit - A distinct personality. An actual entity of his own. He's the God force that dwells between Heaven and earth. Also the entity that enters into a Christian at the time they confess Christ and invite Christ into there lives.

I guess there's a lot of symbology that God has designed into the universe that mirror this idea though. Like for example water. It can be, ice, water vapor, or water.

Materials: Solid, liquid, gas.

Humans, body, spirit and soul.

Planet: Water, land, sky.

Animals: Fish, Birds, Land animals

Universe: Surface, Air, Space.

Light source: Sun Moon Stars.

I don't know there's tons and tons of strange mirror ideas built into the universe. One of God's key numbers being 3, that's why you see many things in the universe that act in sets of 3's.

Verses about the holy spirit:

He grieves with our actions and language. (Also Hebrew 10:29)
He intercedes for us , prompting us to pray, (Romans 8:26)
He searches our hearts (Romans 8:27)
He talks to us (Acts 13;2, 16:6-7, Revelation 2:7)
He teaches all things (John 14:26)
He reminds us of scripture (John 14:26)

edit on 27-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
I've had the worst year of my life and feel that I've stepped off of some path. This entire thing is going to sound stupid and it's okay if you judge me for choosing religion or whatever, but I honestly don't care at this point. A year ago in July my grandfather died and I had the worst year of my life. Not long after, my dog died and that was just about the last straw because it was a long drawn out suffering. I didn't turn to God for my problems, however, I turned to alcohol. I have an alcohol problem and I'm going to admit it.

Tonight after stealing liquor from my mother's stash to hide the pain of going back to a life I do not believe in, I have made a realization (kind of a "duh" moment) . So I prayed for forgiveness and apologized all that and prayed for guidance and some sort of help. Not long after, I came back onto here and the most either perfect or coincidental banner ad appeared on the side of the screen. I think it was for some DVD or something, but the text on it was "God cannot forgive you until you forgive yourself." Giant coincidence or actual guidance, I think it would be for the best of me and everyone around me if I took this with more than a grain of salt. Maybe it's time to get back onto the right path in my life.

If you're going back to religion at least do it for the right reason.

These are your wrong reasons:
Your grandfather died. Well, people die. I will die. YOU will die. Everybody dies.
Your dog died. Well, pets die, too. Do you actually think some evil force killed your grandfather and your dog just to make your life miserable? Do you think god took their lives just to bring you back into the fold? Do you think you sinned so badly that god killed your grandad and dog just to get back at you? Can you see how utterly absurd this thinking is?

If there is such a thing as a right reason to turn to religion, it would be to trade one addiction for another. This doesn't make a god any more or any less real, it's a matter of if a religious addiction is strong enough it can beat alcoholism.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I was not stating that I was going to give God a whirl because people and animals close to me died, I was stating that I was turning to him for strength and help with my addiction before it escalates and I hurt the ones I love.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I believe in meaningful coincedences. I once read a testimony of a girl who died and found herself in the light of God going through her life review. She didn't know God personally but during her review she saw all the times in her life, that God had tried to get her attention. One of the ways he tried to get to her was through certain songs on the radio. If God is powerful enough to plant a thought in a disc jockey's mind to play a certain song, then it's not out of the realm of possibility, he can do so for ads on this board..

And to those who are practicing christians, who have yet to hear the audible voice of God, his Son or the Holy Spirit don't short-change yourself. You are just as worthy as the people in the bible who did have direct communication with him. You just need to open your mind to it and come to the full realization that he is the Living God who is yearning to have a personal relationship with you. Your faith was always meant to be rewarded, and the Lord himself sent a proclamation out (Is 40, Is 62, Rev 22):

"The Lord has made proclamation to the ends of the earth: “Say to Daughter Zion, ‘See, your Savior comes! See, his reward is with him, and his recompense accompanies him.’” They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the Lord; and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted." Is 62:11-12

In the revelation of Messiah Jesus, who is the Living Son of God, and also the Living Word of God himself, he spoke these final words:

"I AM COMING SOON! My reward is with me, and I will give to EVERYONE according to what he has done. I AM the Aleph and the Tav, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." Rev 22:12-13

This prophecy was not intended for judgement After a person dies. His intention has always been to come close to the living. The very next line says to 'wash your robes so you may have the Right to the tree of life and go through the gates into the city.' Jesus comes quickly to those who follow his commands. Always remember, the Son of Man (who is also Jesus Christ) HAS NO PLACE TO REST HIS HEAD, but immerse yourselves in his Living word and before you can finish going through the CITIES OF ISRAEL, the Son of Man will come.

Now I have something to say to you halfoldman: You deny that Jesus is the Living Son of God, therefore you are perrishing. The ministry of the Messiah is a bit more complex than just that of a good man, who walked the earth, tought good things and good creeds to live by. His minsistry ordained by the Living God Himself provides a detailed account of the wonderous miracle of how he comes to live inside the believer. The Son of God is born inside us through divine union, known in broader circles as the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Once inside us he is the Son of Man, Lord of our life. You refuse to believe God could have such an intimate relationship with an individual, whereas we exalt God for what he started and has finished. A true christians kingdom is within and we KNOW our God and he knows us.

Intimately.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

I didn't affirm or deny anything.

My point was simply that the message the OP received (on forgiveness and God) did not only apply to one religion.

Of course it's natural and to be expected that those who came simply to evangelize will immediately see this as a threat, and to argue that it's only their way or no way.

Well, do enjoy the opportunity.
I can then similarly enjoy the opportunity to remind myself on why that way was no way for me.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

While that may be true, you did propose the question which stirred up the Spirit within me to explain why any other path but through God's Son would be futile if a person wants to know him on the most personal of levels.

At the present time we hold the patent until our full numbers come in.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

That's OK.
I know everybody on the thread means well from their position, and also for the OP.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

That's OK.
I know everybody on the thread means well from their position, and also for the OP.

We do all mean well from our positions and in the spirit of just believing in God the creator I would like to ask you to pray for me. I can't think of any family who isn't facing some form of crisis in their lives. We are losing the children of this generation, and my family isn't immune from it either. I have burried one child (my only daughter), her half brother is in prison and her full brother (my only son) will soon be sentenced to prison. I ask that you pray for me to have the strength to see me through the tribulation I am in. Like Rachel I am weeping for my children because they are no more.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join