It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Astronaut Buried in Texas Cemetery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
"Aurora, Tex. -- (UPI) -- A grave in a small north Texas cemetery contains the body of an 1897 astronaut who "was not an inhabitant of this world," according to the International UFO Bureau.

I do not know if this has been posted before, but I found it quite interesting.

www.historybuff.com...

oops...forgot the link.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by mo_trot]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is an interesting post
, I have not heard of this incident prior to your posting. I would like to see the original article, though- possibly it is archived, somewhere.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
How cool is that.

I dont know wether they should dig him up or not.puz:
Would be rather interesting to see if he is a martian of some sort or just a human?
Why did the papers not publish this story till decades after?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
A few more links on that story...

www.texasescapes.com...
ufocasebook.com...
www.rense.com...
www.sheriff.co.wise.tx.us...

Interesting that it was never investigated more than that...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
unfortunately the body would be long gone by now i would think.. the government wouldnt just leave it sitting there..

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Since we live close to Aurora, I researched this one for my folklore class. Yes, it is a hoax -- numerous UFOlogists who have studied this one also proclaimed it a hoax.

Family members who went there in the 1970's didn't find a marker. They "found" a site that they claimed was the grave, but there was no real documentation of where it is and there really wasn't much space in the oldest section of the cemetary for it.

Basically, the town of Aurora was dying and two pranksters decided that a "newsworthy" story would bring new people in and might bring life to the town. Since there were other "airship" hoaxes going and other "liars clubs" starting wild rumors, they felt that the best thing to do was to make an "airship crash."

The reason that a body never showed up and that the story died was that people at the time found out it was a hoax/joke and it dropped pretty quickly. There were reported headstones, but nobody actually has a picture of one that I've found.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
ufocasebook.com...
"The town's history book labels the community as "the town that almost wasn't," and that expression is probably applicable to the legend of a spaceship crashing into a windmill, and the burial of a small alien creature found in the aftermath. This event has become the most important news story to ever come out of this Texas city. Aurora was designated a "historical site" by the State of Texas."
"This incident, whether true or not, has had just enough publicity to stay afloat for over 100 years. It was made into a movie, "The Aurora Encounter" in 1986, starring Jack Elam."
Anybody else ever see it? Legends, true or not, make fascinating movies, sometimes. It has been a long time, but as I remember the film, it was geared to a more youthful audience, not your hardcore Sci-Fi fan.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   

[edit on 15-10-2004 by XPhiles]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
But what became of the ship's wreckage? I'm sure the military carted off what they could get their hands on, but surely someone kept a few mementos hidden.

Now, the strange thing about these old UFO reports, is that these aliens sure do have a lot of vehicle problems. On one of the news links posted above, days before this ship crashed, a similar or the same ship needed water from a well, had to stop for repairs another time, and was also seen dragging a large heavy object on the ground by some sort of rope.

Funny, but this cylinder and rope business, sort of matches up with a sighting in medieval France when the rope thingie got caught on a church of all things. What is the rope for?

I have the suspicion that some of our alien friends have been stranded here for quite awhile and maybe had to reinvent some of their technology to get around. That might explain some of the lousy flight characteristics of their craft. They probably knew more about antigravity powered flight, than they did about regular airplane physics. So maybe they just went with the easier of the two technologies for them at least.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
I have the suspicion that some of our alien friends have been stranded here for quite awhile and maybe had to reinvent some of their technology to get around. That might explain some of the lousy flight characteristics of their craft. They probably knew more about antigravity powered flight, than they did about regular airplane physics. So maybe they just went with the easier of the two technologies for them at least.

Now that would be something...Can you imagine knowing all this complex stuff but then you cant do the easy stuff lol. Like in this case, the aliens know how to work antigravity like no human can, but there still beginners of airplane physics lol. Imagine that.

I have the same issue in school. I can do the hard stuff but not the easy stuff lol.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Well, at least now I know where they got the codename Aurora from, heh.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Very interesting story but something needs to be looked into.

The link says that on 19th April, 1897, The Dallas Morning News reported,

It was built of an unknown metal, resembling somewhat a mixture of aluminum and silver,

The only problem with this report is that aluminium hadn't been invented in the late 1890's, so how would they know what aluminium looks like?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Aluminium doesn't need to be invented, it is a natural element. And btw, it was known for several decades already by then... Link here...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by perverse
unfortunately the body would be long gone by now i would think.. the government wouldnt just leave it sitting there..

But the body/skelet would still leave an imprint in the ground, which you could find with high-tech geo-equipment!

new topics

top topics

join