It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I bought my first Ham Radio Handset...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
And I could use some tips!! Holy hell, my friend convinced me to buy one to listen on the frequencies

Anyhow, could really use some help on how to use this thing. The booklet is thick, but I want to learn straight from people who use these things. Any help would be appreciated.

1~1299 MHz

edit on 25-8-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
www.qrz.com

All the info you could ever want. keep in mind its illegal
to transmit on anything but cb frequencies without a ham license.

With that said
2 meter is great 120-150 mhz fm
800 mhz is the new national standard for leo ambulance ect. fm
11 meter 26-27 mhz is cb. am/ssb/cw
10-100 meter is 30 mhz down to 3 mhz am/ssb/cw

i would recommend scanning through the freqs and
become familiar with the radio and operating modes.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
http:/www.radioreference.com/
go there and find local streams from your area.
there is a section about the frequencies that they use in your locale.

www.bozo.us...
play around on the cb frequencies on am or ssb

www.dxzone.com...
with the sunspot cycle going on its a great time to learn about rf propagation
via the ionized atmosphere.

Raido is a fun and rewarding hobby. from building basic transmitters
up to building your own antennas. just remember to not get overwhelmed at
the shear amount of info there is on the subject. learn and have fun doing so.

edit on 25-8-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WiindWalker

Ham Radio mmmmm sounds tasty....that looks like a cool Gadget. I think ill get one too just to hear conversations between Wal-Mart employees. Who knows i might be able to intercept the Lowest prices of the day

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Walmarts radios are 900 mhz digital. need special equip to hear them.
Thats not to say some stores still using older equip.

en.wikipedia.org...
Business band is still used by taxis and buses ect.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The DJ-G7 is a very nice radio but if you were only interested in listening to traffic it would not be my first choice. First, as someone else told you, unless you hold any class of Amateur Radio operators license it is illegal to use the transmit portion of this radio. Second, the sub-band receiver only uses double conversion that will most likely make the radio unusable with anything but a small antenna (as pictured) near cities. Third, the receiver does not accommodate reception of single-side band transmissions preventing you from listening to radio traffic below 30 MHz where all the real ham radio communications occurs.

If you are only interested in listening to VHF traffic I would recommend a used ICOM R7000 or R7100 communications receiver or the equivalent.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD

The DJ-G7 is a very nice radio but if you were only interested in listening to traffic it would not be my first choice. First, as someone else told you, unless you hold any class of Amateur Radio operators license it is illegal to use the transmit portion of this radio. Second, the sub-band receiver only uses double conversion that will most likely make the radio unusable with anything but a small antenna (as pictured) near cities. Third, the receiver does not accommodate reception of single-side band transmissions preventing you from listening to radio traffic below 30 MHz where all the real ham radio communications occurs.

If you are only interested in listening to VHF traffic I would recommend a used ICOM R7000 or R7100 communications receiver or the equivalent.

Best regards,
Z

My friend was suggesting that it has to be able to go to 1200 mhz. I am not sure why he wanted to listen on those frequencies

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yeah in retrospect i should have checked out the radio before assuming
that it could go that low. not to say it cant but the modes aren't supported.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

High frequency amateur radio is allocated between 1300-1240 MHz but unless your local hams are active on these frequencies do not expect to hear much. The band between 1215-960 MHz is reserved for radio-navigation and is very uninteresting. The band below this between 960-925 MHz will very shortly be occupied by encrypted digital signals for LTE 4G cell phones, also very uninteresting. The 902-928 MHz ISM/Amateur contains a lot of interference but it also contains a huge variety of short range devices (older cordless phones, for example, but it is a privacy invasion to listen). Below this is the analog cell phone bands (blocked if this radio is purchased in the US) but you are not missing anything here either because almost zero analog cell phone traffic occurs anymore (regardless, it is illegal to listen to cell phones). Between 800-700 MHz are various assigned frequencies that are very infrequently used (except in a large city perhaps). But in these large cities they often use trucked radio systems and this Alinco radio is not capable of keeping up with the various frequency hopping schemes in use.

FCC Table of Frequency Allocations

In now-where Rocky Mountains where I live nothing of much interest is heard above 500 MHz and no ham's that I know of actively use the 1.2 GHz band because of limited repeater coverage.

Best regards,
Z

new topics

top topics

join