It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will He Receive The Attention He Deserves ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This may be too early, but I wanted to present it while I was thinking about it.

As you may, or may not know, Neil Armstrong has passed away. Link

This man is a legend and a hero. The thought crossed my mind today,
will his funeral get the television coverage that Whitney Houston got earlier
this year? Whitney's Coverage

He should / better (don't know what I'd do... but).

I just wanted to present this for discussion and I know, we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Attention? You mean a media circus?
I would hope not.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I think that with older people he will. But younger people will not comprehend what Mr Armstrong represented for America during the years of the space race and the cold war.

Discovery and A&E will probably do him justice - as will a few other sources. But I think that mainstream media will be more apt to report it and move on. Snookie is pregnant, don't you know...

~Heff

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It doesn't have to be a media circus though, know what I mean?

I just hope that all the networks cover this in a respectful manner.

Also, for the younger generation that doesn't know, what better time for them
to learn?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

It doesn't have to be a media circus though, know what I mean?

Since you made a comparison to Houston, I thought I did know what you meant.

Armstrong was a quiet man who shunned attention in life. He deserves no less. His place in human history is assured without histrionics.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... a thread here as well .
its strange, but i thought he'd was much older than 82.
edit on 25-8-2012 by thedoctorswife because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What is really sad is that I promise you we will see an influx of people speaking negatively about him, all the moon-landing hoax believers will come out of the woodwork.

I couldnt care less about the media coverage. I do hope that his legacy is not tainted by these people.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Regardless of the media now, 100 years from now, Armstrong will be remembered.

And it'll be, Whitney who?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this up. I pray that he does, he certainly deserves it. We will have to wait and see. I also
believe the people whom are perpetuating the Moon Hoax will come out in droves to trash him. I expect to see very liberal journalist even dare to go there.

Obama will say something weak and will have I, me and my in his 10 sec. sentence. I do expect that. ya know something like: Niel Armstrong is a pioneer to be remembered. That is why I and my administration have devoted blah blah blah......with Nasa......back to the moon....blah blah....and the Mars rover was my idea because I feel what is important to the you is also important to me It was me and my administration who fought for our advances in space exploration.....He will use this to further his political agenda......

Nice to see you elevated.
Pax

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think he was a good man who carried himself with both dignity and aplomb.

His was truly a great achievement - up there with greatest of mankinds - and he deserves some sort of recognition and acknowledgement for that.
But as has been said he was also a private man who enjoyed life away from the public eye.

Hopefully it will be possible to give this man the recognition he deserves whilst respecting his wishes and character.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If anyone is worthy of a statue it is Mr Armstrong.
May we all remember he was the first human in recorded history to set foot on our moon.

I hope he is remembered for that giant leap.

I can see a future NASA ship named after him.
Maybe the first manned Mars mission.

He deserves that at least IMO.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I would hope so, but who knows.

You know, watching the news coverage today I saw footage from the ticker tape parade that was held after the Apollo 11 moon landing. Seeing the whole country brought together about something POSITIVE seems to be a forgotten memory.

In fact in my life time I can not remember something POSITIVE pulling the country together like that.

edit on 25-8-2012 by Ace High because: add video

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

May we all remember he was the first human in recorded history to set foot on our moon.
That footprint will be there for a very, very long time.

There is no doubt that his name will be remembered. "Armstrong" would make a good name for a colony, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What I find very disappointing, is that an entirely too large portion of the population will have no idea who he was, or what he did.

But let some degenerate, famous for making noise, over-dose on drugs. And you have half the nation falling all over itself about what a hero they were, how they contributed to "society".

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I also believe the people whom are perpetuating the Moon Hoax will come out in droves to trash him.

I suspect you may be right there.

Obama will say something weak and will have I, me and my in his 10 sec. sentence........He will use this to further his political agenda

Again, I think you are probably right, but let's be fair, please show me a politician who wouldn't.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
What I find very disappointing, is that an entirely too large portion of the population will have no idea who he was, or what he did.

But let some degenerate, famous for making noise, over-dose on drugs. And you have half the nation falling all over itself about what a hero they were, how they contributed to "society".

That makes sense, but one guy walking on the moon is more of an accomplishment for himself, not the "world"... I personally dont find it that fascinating. But people that heard it happen on the radio or wherever will see him as a hero... But i speak for myself, what other people do does not log in my book as a big deal, im pretty selfish...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

That makes sense, but one guy walking on the moon is more of an accomplishment for himself, not the "world"

That is not how Armstrong viewed it. He always minimized his role.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

That makes sense, but one guy walking on the moon is more of an accomplishment for himself, not the "world"... I personally dont find it that fascinating. But people that heard it happen on the radio or wherever will see him as a hero... But i speak for myself, what other people do does not log in my book as a big deal, im pretty selfish...

I disagree. Mr Armstrong took that first step on the moon because he was standing on the shoulders of many other unsung giants and he carried with him the hopes, dreams, aspirations, and fascination of everyone. Even in the heart of the cold war. the USSR admired him.

His wasn't a personal accomplishment. It was a responsibility and probably a burden to him personally.

But he did it for everyone, including himself.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think if he did receive the kind of coverage that Whitney did it would be a disservice too him, Mr Armstrong wasn't a part of the fragile celebrity culture, sure he was famous but his fame was a by-product of his greatness rather then his goal.
A quote attributed to him is "I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks, but for the ledger of our daily work" That says a lot about the man.

A moments silence for a man that achieved true greatness would be much more appropriate
edit on 25-8-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

A moments silence for a man that achieved true greatness would be much more appropriate

A beautiful idea. I remember John Lennon's death and he received 10 mins. of silence. I am an avid Beatles lover and Lennon fan, but there is no way Lennon is more deserving than Armstrong!

I am very sad he has passed and I do believe our youth will not understand the magnitude of what he meant and did for the entire world. If we leave it up to the education system they will be teaching about Neil Armstrong the first man who allegedly stepped foot on the Moon!

Sorry to seem so cynical, but the way things are spun these days leads me to believe this may happen. At least the generation that remembers our parents excitement and have been told what that day meant for them, will always see Neil as an icon! I propose a federal holiday in his name.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join