It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Armstrong dead at age 82 - report

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I feel like this is a gut punch for humanity. What a great, humble man, a true hero in an era in which we really need heroes. It's not a shock just a profound loss. Rest In Peace Mr. Armstrong and thank-you.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Will they be playing "If You Believe They Put a Man on the Moon" at his funeral?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I do have a relevant personal story of sorts...my ex wife used to work for Andy Williams in Branson, Mo, and Neil Armstrong came to see the show one night. She got to meet him and had her photo taken with him. I was incredibly jealous, because she had no real interest in space flight or scientific topics, but I always have been quite keen on everything "space"...I was glad she got the opportunity to meet him though. She said he was very courteous. We had the picture of her with him on our fridge.

I remember going to Indianapolis as a small child to see the astronauts in a parade....I was nearly 4 years old, and had to sit on my dad's shoulders to see over the crowd. All I wanted to be as a kid was an astronaut. The space program was always in the news, and America relished having such (seemingly to me as a child) UNpoliticised heroes to admire. Seeing that parade is one of my earliest memories. My father passed away in February this year. This seems like an odd but fitting book end to that experience.

You won't look at my posts ( not that anyone does ) and see me waxing emotional about many public figures, but this time, it's different, and it feels personal. I'm not much of a "Hero worshipper", but this one hits home. I am genuinely touched and saddened.

I know the trolls will jump in and start bringing the whole "Moon Conspiracy" topic up, but I for one believe that those men went to the Moon. I do believe that they may have seen more than they ever told, but I believe they went there nonetheless. To me personally, Neil Armstrong is a true American Hero, and yes, a Hero for all of humanity. I hope he will always rightfully be remembered as such.
edit on 25-8-2012 by moonzoo7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by moonzoo7 because: typos

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

We Salute to you Neil. You were an inspiration to a lot of people.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Emboldened into the hearts and minds of humanity. He will live on through the impact he made through his courageous expedition.

I was just thinking about Armstrong and Aldrin yesterday. For some reason I immediately thought about death pertaining to one or both of them. That's two relatively significant correlations before the fact this week, specifically, the day before. The other one being the Empire State Building. The day before, I saw the building on a movie and immediately got a feeling that something bad relating to the Empire State building was going to occur soon (the next day the shooting happened).

Anyway, not that anyone is going to believe ^^^

Thank you for your bravery, and thank you for being a real human being, Mr. Armstrong.

"One Small step for a man, one giant leap, for Mankind."
edit on 25-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
RIP, now he is legend.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Apollo 11. Man on the moon. Music video.

Neil Armstrong (August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012)

the first man on the moon.

[SIZE=6]He came in peace for all mankind.[/SIZE]

The coolest guy, ever.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I used to watch the moon shots as a kid. Fascinated by the power of the Saturn V rocket. I still remember seeing one of the probes flying into the moon's surface while sending back pictures. They were trying to sample the surface to see if it was even possible to set a space craft down on the surface (was it 6 feet of powder?). I work across the street from the National Air and Space museum and often walk over there during lunch just to look again at the Mercury and Apollo equipment. They have a bunch of Russian stuff too. It still amazes me to look at those tiny capsules that took mankind to the moon and back (well, at least take off and landing). I couldn't have handled it. Too tight for me! I'd a gone nuts in that little space.
Rest well sir. You are back amongst the stars where you belong.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem
C0incidence maybe.

L00k what was planned f0r t0nights c0ast t0 c0ast s0mewhere in time with art bell.

6-10pm PT: Art Bell - Somewhere in Time returns to 11/11/02, when Marcus Allen - the publisher of the U.K. edition of Nexus magazine discussed why he no longer believes man went to the Moon.
www.coasttocoastam.com...

If you believe we didn't go to the moon, your an idiot (not saying that's you, speaking in general).

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hopefully he had a plan in place so that after his death all (if any) details he was withholding will be revealed. Maybe he put a letter together, or package, that wasn't to be sent or opened until he died.

On a more personal note...this seems so surreal. First one Armstrong was stripped of all his titles and now another Armstrong dies.... Two Armstrongs that I grew up with, admiring. Damn this really feels like the end times.
edit on 25-8-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Dear Mr Armstrong,
You were an inspiration to me when I was much younger. Even though I had promised myself to be the first human on Mars I was sadly born at the wrong time. As of no surprise to you and what may have accelerated your untimely demise was that damn A.I. landing on the red planet and making us both obsolete. You were a pioneer of space and your footprints will forever be in a place where no one else has been. You were a hero. You were my hero. Rest in peace moon dude.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
In our generation we have witnessed the passing of a true legend.

His name will be written in history books as long as we keep them, he will never be forgotten.

Rest in peace Neil Armstrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
RIP

An American Hero who won't be forgotten anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I remember being sick at home (had the measles) and buildng models and watching it on the news, 1969.

RIP, Rocketman. RIP.

I also had models at that time, as well as lots of pictures on the wall. I had everything from the X-15 (precursor to the space program) to the Mercury capsule, to an Atlas rocket, to the lunar and command modules. I actually had 2 of those, one docked together hanging from the ceiling with fishing line and another with the lunar module on the moon's surface and the command module flying above it. I thought I had the coolest room.

I was such a space nerd i could name all of the crews of all the missions going back to Alan Shepard, as well as their vehicles and boosters.

Very sad news though, especially for those of us old enough to remember watching it all live. Shuttle missions pale in comparison, IMO. And how brave was this guy to be the first leave the relative safety of the LM and step out onto the surface of a world where no one knew for sure what to expect? He's the last hero I can remember.

edit on 8/25/2012 by AntiNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
God Speed Commander, let your trip be the best wherever you may be.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

God Speed Commander, let your trip be the best wherever you may be.

Well said... The world has lost another hero.

edit on 25-8-2012 by greenie65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Uh, why does he matter?

A free ride to the moon on the backs of countless others. At least an Olympian worked entirely off their own efforts.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Uh, why does he matter?

A free ride to the moon on the backs of countless others. At least an Olympian worked entirely off their own efforts.

a free ride to the moon?oh yeah it was so easy,he and the rest took a gamble,no1 knew if it was possible,u want to go to the moon but theres the biggest chance u may not cum back.......yeah i,ll take a FREE ride.........get fcking grip man

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join