It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America, sweet land of liberty...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
To many the American dream is dead nothing left but hopelessness and despair. When your at the bottom of the crap pile theirs no way out. Not everybody has the opportunity to over come the odds.

I use to be a proud American and I bought into the American dream theory until my job left for China. Now if I want a job it's at Walmart making half of what I use to. I refuse to do it why should I? Half of my pay check goes into my gas tank and car repairs just to get to work. When all is said and done I barely have enough to buy a sack of potatos to eat for the rest of the week.

Pay me a living wage and I might just do something until then I'm just gonna sit back and collect my government checks. I'm gonna suck the system for everything it's got. Up yours America!
edit on 26-8-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Pay me a living wage and I might just do something until then I'm just gonna sit back and collect my government checks. I'm gonna suck the system for everything it's got. Up yours America!

No concern whatsoever about the future your children and grandchildren will grow up in? Ruin their chances of a bright future for you own selfish wants, without regard to the future?

We are America. We make our own beds and then lie in them. Blaming others is a cop-out when we live in place where opportunity is so great. We can be part of the solution or part of the problem. Being part of the problem is easy and involves just doing nothing, not even for ourselves.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Oh Please, all this flag waving is making it drafty in here.

Just because a Mod authored his opinion , every bobbles their heads in agreement.

America is like a body riddled with Cancer, and the expiration date is closing in.

For the first time in US history, this generation is told to expect a lower standard of living.

For the first time in US history, this generation is expected to have a shorter life span.

Jobs and the tear jerking story in the OP?

Well , US Manufactoring hasnt been this low since 1975, and it is still getting worse.

So for every new US citizen sucess story, lets hear about the 50 new businesses that failed.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Just my opinion but here's how it works in Canada and the US. You grow up seeing this "american dream". That if you work hard and make lots of money then you'll be happy. But it's the biggest scam we've ever created. You work your butt off to finally get ahead. Then once TPTB see that you now have money they're job is to take you out of the Sheep pen and shire you. Which they do via audits and other legal instruments. Some have to declare bankruptcy. Some commit suicide. Most of the victims of this scam are damaged for life. The truth is that the more money you make, the more problems your bound to have, guaranteed!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by wantsome

No concern whatsoever about the future your children and grandchildren will grow up in? Ruin their chances of a bright future for you own selfish wants, without regard to the future?

We are America. We make our own beds and then lie in them. Blaming others is a cop-out when we live in place where opportunity is so great. We can be part of the solution or part of the problem. Being part of the problem is easy and involves just doing nothing, not even for ourselves.

Your children?

What about our fathers, brothers, sisters and mothers?

Th only problem in America is the American's disregard for it's family. So few of you wipe your father's or mother's butt when they get to old. when they get to old you lock them up in a home and you are worried about the children? hahahaha.

Look at the example even the most suspenseful American father teaches it's child. The college experiences, move out and be your own man at the age of 18. even your media, social network, and adult slanders ridicules those who live with their parents at 30. You all laugh and ridicule a families unity and strength.

American middle class indoctrination shows you how to be productive and alone. to move out and do away with the old. And your worried what some guy who does nothing is doing to your children. hahahaha

Family, friend. With no strong family you will not get land, with no land you need no representation. pretending to have it will not help either.

the Rat.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Not that I am agreeing fully with the opinion spoken here, I understand it. Not every person in this country can be a secondary educated person. Some do not have the capacity for it,some can't afford, and there are some who don't want it.

The American dream to some may be just to live comfortably,for others it may be wealth.

Some jobs/positions are recession proof, others are not. It sounds like this person is down on things due to what has happened to him. Could it be that he does not have the means to re-create himself? I would be willing to bet that he would like his job to come back, and he can resume his life that he once had.

I own a small company that I opened in 2008-started with nothing. I am proud of that. I also know that not everyone in this country is capable of that for any number of reasons. Sadly, this person's demeanor arrives because people working what some Americans have come to call "meanial jobs".

I think the American dream and spirit will return for many when competitive pay packages come back.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I believe America is a sweet land of liberty.

America is a land of first, second, and even third chances. Here, anything is possible.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression and WWII... both very poor. Now nearing their 80s, they have two houses, a good retirement, and a comfortable life... not rich, but a good middle class lifestyle.

They sent me to college. I got a degree and after I graduated, personal and home computers made my degree obsolete. Did I cry and moan and ask for government help...no. I worked harder and reinvented myself.

I worked in retail and moved through the ranks into management. By the late 1990s, I got divorced... lost almost everything and was sleeping in a barn on a small piece of farmland I owned.I ate out of trashcans, used an outhouse for a toilet, and washed with water drawn from a well.

I continued working a full time job and 3 or 4 part-time jobs. Learned about investing in real estate and bought my next piece of property by 1998. I also learned about stocks and invested in Krispy Kreme... bought in at 35.00 and sold at 100.00 a share.

I put sweat equity into the barn and converted it into a cabin... landscaped the property and sold it for a profit.

I now am remarried, own a 50 acre farm, a few pieces of land in neighboring counties, and a little trailer down at the coast.

My daughter came from our broken home and I got custody. She has had a tough life, but that in turn made her tough. She did well in school, worked through high school, got academic scholarships and went to community college for the basic classes. Now she is about to graduate from a major university in NC. And little to no debt. She has been working her way through college as a waitress, aerobic trainer, and a painter. She did so well, she was promoted to managing two crews and made 18.00 an hour... because the paint company owner couldn't find anybody else that worked as hard as she did. He told her that when she graduates, she has a job waiting if she wants it.

What is my point in all of this?

Hard work. Hard work on the part of my parents... hardwork on my part... hardwork on the part of my daughter.

If you want to get a head in life... it takes hard work. Some will say it is being lucky. All I know is the harder I work, the luckier I get.

I work a full time job as an asst manager working about 50 hours a week, have a small farm raising goats and fresh produce as well as most of our own food, and now that my wife has chosen to retire... we are opening up a farm and flower produce stand... so now my hobby farm that made some money is now a real farm that needs to make a profit.

We have a quality life living very simple... heating with firewood, canning and preserving our own food, fresh eggs and goat milk and tomatoes and cabbages and all the rest, waking each morning to the smell of coffee and roosters crowing. Most days start about 430am and end about 10pm... a hard life but a good life.

Most peple I would like to try to hire for the store I manage can not pass a drug test, can not read, can not properly fill out an application, can not pass a back ground check, can not work retail hours... only days Monday through Friday.

I interact and sell to other businesses in town and they have the same problem. One customer bought a big ol' 60 gallon aircompressor for his shop... while loading the air compressor, we started talking about help and hiring and he said he couldn't find good help... his criteria was being able to show up for work... on time, drug free, and able to work hard and consistant for 5 days straight without calling out. A few other packers and shippers and small businesses in town also suffered a lack of good help... most hirees didn't show up after the first week of labor... or their first paycheck... or they just didn't show at all. Most businesses were in a constant state of training and hiring.

Admittedly, not all jobs are great, but I got my start bagging groceries, pushing in shopping carts, and cleaning toilets at closing time for minimum wage. 27 years later... America has been good to me. All America promised is a chance to work and work hard and excell...

The promise of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Just because a Mod authored his opinion , every bobbles their heads in agreement.

America is like a body riddled with Cancer, and the expiration date is closing in.

America has it's problems. Deep and near terminal ones, if we get right down to the brass tacks and be honest about it. However, just occasionally, we DO need to recall what is still great about this nation. Some, and I don't mean you, but some would like us all to forget there is anything good at all still here and strong. The fact is, America as a NATION and PEOPLE is doing fairly well. Our leadership is horrid and our economy is crashing in slow motion with a long long way to go down.

However....If we don't stop and recall those great things about the United States of America, we might just forget what the heck we're fighting to save. That would be the ultimate game ender and the point of no return. I sincerely hope we never lose sight of such a core thing, personally.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I see you've checked off all of the problems. Have any ideas about solutions? Because that's the difference between being an active citizen and just a resident... Seeing what's wrong and doing something about it.

It's easy to complain - but it takes strength to change things.

For what it's worth.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by shoshoniwolf

There won't be any "competitive pay packages" if the government does not stop taking the seed money and wasting it on boondoggles, political paybacks and handouts to those who refuse to participate and do anything but ask for more handouts.

Like feeding a wild animal, once you get someone used to it, they will starve to death if you stop. It's cruel to feed them in the first place. Teach a man to fish...............

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

For the first time in US history, this generation is told to expect a lower standard of living.

For the first time in US history, this generation is expected to have a shorter life span.

Jobs and the tear jerking story in the OP?

Well , US Manufactoring hasnt been this low since 1975, and it is still getting worse.

So for every new US citizen sucess story, lets hear about the 50 new businesses that failed.

Actually Op made a great point, I think needs to be addressed.

Maybe...just maybe, you'll get off your apathetic butts and do something to help be the change y'all supposedly want to see happen.

As long as there are those crying about it, and not doing anything about it, opinions, like yours, will rue the day.

MHO

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I see you've checked off all of the problems. Have any ideas about solutions? Because that's the difference between being an active citizen and just a resident... Seeing what's wrong and doing something about it.
Fair enough.

America's problems are many and deep rooted.

A good start is to Abolish Lobbyist. Call it what it is, Bribery, and arrest any and all involved, those bribing, and those taking bribes.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Now you're saying things I can relate to!

Our next step is to get more people aware and talking!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

As long as there are those crying about it, and not doing anything about it, opinions, like yours, will rue the day.

MHO

The first step to fixing a problem, is admitting there is a problem.

Stepping over the guy sleeping on the sidewalk, ignoring the tents under bypasses, and shifting your eyes from the food banks, all while singing the Star Spangled Banner, aint gonna bring back the "good ole days"

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Fair enough.

America's problems are many and deep rooted.

A good start is to Abolish Lobbyist. Call it what it is, Bribery, and arrest any and all involved, those bribing, and those taking bribes.

I can go with that 100% tw0Sides. That kind of thinking is what got me to join Occupy and directly support the camp I was in, in the first place.
Lobbying IS bribery and campaign contributions....just a lesser form of it. Of course, the only solution is 100% and equal funding from public money...but when they're throwing billions around on total boondoggles, to borrow another posts word, it's well worth the cost to remove the stench of corruption.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

MHO

The first step to fixing a problem, is admitting there is a problem.

Stepping over the guy sleeping on the sidewalk, ignoring the tents under bypasses, and shifting your eyes from the food banks, all while singing the Star Spangled Banner, aint gonna bring back the "good ole days"

I agree 100%

I also believe those subscribing to apathy, are part of the problem, not the solution.

Usually, I don't subscribe to media outlets,or the blasphemy they write about, but I found this opinion compelling enough, to repost it.

In 1929, we did not have 21 million government employees with bloated salaries, obscene pensions, and free health care for life. Today 1 out of 5 federal employees earn over $100,000.

Today, 77,000 federal employees earn more than the governors of their states.

Staggering numbers of federal government employees retire at a young age with $100,000 pensions for life.

Unfortunately on the state and local levels it’s even worse. There is now nearly $4 trillion in unfunded pension liabilities for state government employees.

Protected by their unions and the politicians they elect, government employees are bankrupting America. In Illinois there are retired government employees making over $425,000 per year.

In 1929, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid didn’t exist. The federal government had no such obligations threatening to consume the entire federal budget within a few years.

In 1929, there was no such thing as welfare, food stamps, aid to dependent children, or English as a second language programs. American’s didn’t consider it the responsibility of government to pay for breakfast and lunch for school students -- let alone for illegal immigrants at school.

Who could have imagined back in 1929 that one seventh of America's population would be on food stamps…and the federal government would ADVERTISE to encourage even more Americans to sign up for food stamps and welfare. Who could imagine back then that the federal government would team up with the President of Mexico to encourage Mexicans living illegally in America to sign up for food stamps?

Who could have imagined back then that the president would offer not just welfare, but waivers to allow any state to opt out of requiring work to receive welfare?

Back in 1929, who could have imagined 86 pregnant teenage girls all in one Memphis high school?
Today we have millions of illegal immigrants and their children collecting billions of dollars in entitlements from U.S. taxpayers.

In one state (California) illegal aliens cost taxpayers over $10.5 billion annually just for education, health care and incarceration. Do you now understand why California is bankrupt and insolvent? This is spreading across the country.

Why we are on the brink of the greatest Depression of all time

The facts are for everyone to see. Unfortunately, people walk over people everyday, wait till they have to inhabit a sidewalk.........

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

That's a good starting point.

What many don't seem to realize though, is that that's all it is, a start. Protecting from corruption, or ending corruption is a never ending process.

I don't particularly care what the ideas are to solve whatever problems face us. What I'm encouraging is getting off the schnide and putting forth ideas... If several million Americans, or Canadians, or from whereever, get together to discuss these ideas, odds are, they'll be ideas that work.

You all can disagree with every idea I'll ever have, and I'll not care a whit, if yours are better.

But we've got to start.

That's all I'm saying.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Yes. Yes. ...and yes, again.

I couldn't agree more if I wanted to.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I found a vid on journalist and what's been happening to them lately....

www.youtube.com...

This just adds to the Mountain of # piling up against those in the house that are bad(?) When other Countries start paying attention to our first ammendent rights being abused..I would say...wow!!!!

Fake web sites? Alls I can do is shake my head and continue to think over and over again...wtf!?

I can't believe what's been going on with these people...with those people, with us people, with me people...

Its werid that "Red Dawns" been done again....( N. Korea almost kicks our ass?) lol ObroTher. I just never thought watching the first one that A: It would ever happen. I was much younger then and really didn't understand such things... B: That we would have to fight some of our own people to up-hold what our Fore-Fathers laid down for us.

I really thought we were above "war" but only to save our own soil if attacked...I never thought we would invade another country and kill innocent people. It just sucks that I have to use the word we in that last sentence because I personally don't want anything to do w/ it!!! I'm sick of it! All for resources? Come on!! I want to scream to the Iraqies..it ain't me! I'm on your side...and so on and so on and so on...

I thought we were an educated, refined, elegant people.....

Ok...I'm ranting...sorry. I get really angry sometimes and just gotta say....wtf.......

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join