It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why WikiLeaks is worth defending, despite all of its flaws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Most of the recent attention around WikiLeaks has been focused on the legal issues surrounding its controversial founder, Julian Assange. But we shouldn’t let that blind us to what the organization has accomplished and the critical role it plays as a “stateless news organization.”

Source

I like this sentence especially:

The spotlight on Assange blinds us to the real issues

My thoughts exactly. I don't exactly feel the need to be governed or to be told how to think or how to behave. I know the difference between right and wrong in my heart and I'm honest enough to apologize and make good when I did something wrong.

No religion, politics or law required. Just common sense. Or is that too much to ask from our "world leaders"?
edit on 25-8-2012 by UDHR19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Remember TPTB wish to destroy these movements.

Stand solid, and don't be fooled.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by UDHR19

I believe that from a journalistic stand point he should have the right to create a forum to expose subjects, topics as well as documentation and people that he deems news worthy. I think the government(s) see him as a threat now that he has exposed many through his relese of documentation; as well as exposing names of covert entities where the governments see it as an act of treason. Not to mentione not playing the by the "rules." I am not previed to any affects (malice or general exposure) that wikileaks has had but ultimately beleive he should have readied himself for the reprecussions of his actions. Measuring his actions versus the wrath of the government and understanding that there may be a price to pay.

In retrospect, if he did follow the rules of litterary engagement; would his fate have been parrarelled to Andrew Breitbart.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Personally, I feel that if they would have stuck with whistleblowing on things that could be proven as criminal offenses, more people would be accepting and stand behind wikileaks.

Then you have the infighting issues amonst wikileaks staff itself, threats to sue news media if they were to release stuff before Assange gave his ok (which if the goal was to get the stuff out to the public, seems to be hypocritical to the mission and self serving), I won't get into Assange or his legal issues as there are other threads.

We all know that the world (not just the US/West) is full of corruption and greed. The only way to bring change is through accountability. The only way to get accountability is to be able to criminally charge someone (person/entity) for crimes. You can only convict if you have clear proof.
edit on 27-8-2012 by pwndnewb because: oops

new topics

top topics

join