It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Quantum LEAP In Computing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I understand the physical implementations and possibilities.

What I'm saying is that it's no different, because you are still using a piece of hardware to facilitate that environment.

Iron man movies for example. Tony has all those cool 3D projections and hollograms, which are still pushed via hardware in a limited space.

LEAP effectively does the same thing, but it's limited by the range of the hardware. Which is why peripheral based platforms like 6th sense will offer more, because they are far more mobile.

SEcondly LEAP only allows you connectivity to a PC, where as Augmented Reality is everything.

~Tenth
edit on 8/25/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

I hear ya... some people will still always prefer a quiet way of writing down their thoughts and doing so without anyone else hearing or seeing, so your point is well received.

BUT... I definitely recommend you try out the Dragon software for speech recognition. In my field of work, I am required to engage with all types of people, including visually disabled or impaired, who by using Dragon, are able to do incredible things with speech recognition. Everything from writing code, to managing databases, to drawing up 400 page court documents. I have used the iPhone version and it is amazingly accurate for a free application.

Like all new technology, it will take time to adopt and adapt. However, you have to think... the reason iPhone and iPad took off in the market place was because they introduced a more natural way of interacting with a device, through touch. This is the next step, in that you don't have to touch anything, but still get the same response.

Time will tell...

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
If it works *as appears why not just licence it "out to major hardware companies to integrate into monitors and TV?
edit on 25-8-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

All of the big OEMs (hardware manufacturers for others) are doing just that. They are in negotiations with Leap to integrate this into a ton of devices, laptops, etc.

The power isn't just in the device, it's in the development of software for it. While it snaps in to existing applications, it is going to be how new software is developed with the new capabilities it can provide.

There was a time that you couldn't draw on a computer. It was the mouse that changed the way software and graphical user interfaces were designed. With this technology, there will be new interfaces created, much like was done for touch screen devices, and new software that enables it.

It's those applications I'm looking most forward to.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Originally posted by OwenGP185
If it works *as appears why not just licence it "out to major hardware companies to integrate into monitors and TV?
edit on 25-8-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

All of the big OEMs (hardware manufacturers for others) are doing just that. They are in negotiations with Leap to integrate this into a ton of devices, laptops, etc.

The power isn't just in the device, it's in the development of software for it. While it snaps in to existing applications, it is going to be how new software is developed with the new capabilities it can provide.

There was a time that you couldn't draw on a computer. It was the mouse that changed the way software and graphical user interfaces were designed. With this technology, there will be new interfaces created, much like was done for touch screen devices, and new software that enables it.

It's those applications I'm looking most forward to.

~Namaste

I need to do some research into this software, I am coding my website in HTML5 even though it is still barely supported in order to be ahead of the game, I see a lot of potential with this, Microsoft should hold off Windows 8 and merge this hardware into a main selling point of the OS, kind of bad timing putting all their eggs into the touch screen market when this is just around the corner. I suppose touch screen uses the same gestures so that could potentially work well with Win 8 though. Who knows, I just want to feel like I am in the Minority Report to be honest.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i know whats on my christmas list

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

I could not agree more... very insightful comment!

It would behoove MS to adjust their push for Windows 8 for a few more months since this device is expected to launch sometime between now and December. I'm sure it will be a very hot holiday item.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Leap SDK to do some application development, but it was first come first serve, and there were 20K developers on the list before I got there, and I was there pretty early. They aren't choosing based on what number you are in the line, they are choosing based on comments and feedback they get from the people who are signed up. Participation in their forums and good ideas when applying for the SDK are what they are basing selections on.

If you're interested, go to the site and sign up!

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
reply to post by OwenGP185

I could not agree more... very insightful comment!

It would behoove MS to adjust their push for Windows 8 for a few more months since this device is expected to launch sometime between now and December. I'm sure it will be a very hot holiday item.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Leap SDK to do some application development, but it was first come first serve, and there were 20K developers on the list before I got there, and I was there pretty early. They aren't choosing based on what number you are in the line, they are choosing based on comments and feedback they get from the people who are signed up. Participation in their forums and good ideas when applying for the SDK are what they are basing selections on.

If you're interested, go to the site and sign up!

~Namaste

I guess it would be silly if they are unaware of Microsoft's recent developments and vice versa. Feel free to throw the suggestion into the forum you might be lucky and move up in line if by some miracle they forgot about Win 8. I will be sure to visit the forum at some point.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I, like you, am pretty amazed at the negative feedback at the beginning of this thread. Ridiculous.

This is an utterly game-changing piece of hardware. As I watched those videos I was literally saying "WHAT?" out loud multiple times
. This is a HUGE step into the realm of pure, natural human interaction with technology. I've dreamed of seeing this kind of technology but I can honestly say I didn't think we would see a device so accurate and intuitive in this field for years. The complete lack of latency, ten finger plus recognition, and 3D depth are mind boggling highlights. You old dudes just can't see this for what it's worth I guess
(hint: It's priceless in terms of the what it will accomplish for human/technological interaction)

AND it's backward compatible!? AND it's only $70!?

"WHAT?"
_____
PS - I will say they need new spokesperson for this product. Don't think that guy was very sociable and the interviewers seemed to have to pry info out of him. I think someone more outgoing and excited could do well to convince some of you naysayers to see what kind of game-changer this is!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This will not replace mouse+keyboard, but thats not the point. Its great for 3d modeling, art creation, games or emulating a touchscreen.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Proctor11

I, like you, am pretty amazed at the negative feedback at the beginning of this thread. Ridiculous.

I didn't think any of the feed back was negative per se...I just saw people expressing their opinion. Since when is that negative feedback? When I stated (and still stick by my opinion) that this isn't going to be the paradigm shift in pc interface technology that many think it will.....is that negative feedback? If you think it is, you must not play well with others! Were just having a conversation here dude, don't get your panties in a wad.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

OF COURSE you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm happy that you exercised that right, but you did kinda rain on OP's parade. You were implying that this thread isn't as important as OP stated...that's negative feedback.

This seems like a ridiculous thread to have an argument and I know that was never the OPs intention.

Idk what the point of the panties in a wad comment is, other than trying to poke and prod more, which I think is a bit childish, so you just have a nice day

(Again, can't believe the animosity a thread about motion sensing technology can create. Oh internets...)
edit on 25-8-2012 by Proctor11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You are aware of what a "quantum leap" actually _is_, aren't you? I mean... it's one of the smallest possible changes in position possible. It's not synonymous with "extreme change" but rather with "discontinuous change" - a change that doesn't cover the intervening ground. In this case, it's a significant advance, sure, but it's also utterly predicated upon extant, and familiar, technology.

This is not a 'quantum leap'.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
so thins SPY can see ever thing in the room!
ever thing you do. a camra can only see whats in front of it.
can it see in to other rooms?

this would make a great alarm system.
it could SEE if it is a cat or some thing falling over.
and would only sound an alarm if its a human.
to switch the alarm off and on.
just make a sing in the air.

just another Tool from big Brother...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Could you imagine virtual musical instiments? This could even possibly bring back guitar hero on a whole new level?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stunspot
You are aware of what a "quantum leap" actually _is_, aren't you? I mean... it's one of the smallest possible changes in position possible. It's not synonymous with "extreme change" but rather with "discontinuous change" - a change that doesn't cover the intervening ground. In this case, it's a significant advance, sure, but it's also utterly predicated upon extant, and familiar, technology.

This is not a 'quantum leap'.

This is not a post about syntactic sugar, try to stay on track.

For the record, the definition of a quantum leap is as follows:

"an abrupt change, sudden increase, or dramatic advance"

Definition of Quantum Leap

This technology certainly qualifies.

Also, to point out your incorrect assumption, a "quantum jump" was coined by Max Planck in the early 1900's due to the sudden and abrupt change of energy from one state to another within an atom. It has nothing to do with the small size of quanta within physics.

Please don't derail my thread.

Thanks!

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

People have a schtick about wearing devices. It feels intrusive. This is why they have never taken off in the market.

Totally

I am likely going to pre-order soon, just want to research a little more.

As a mobile app developer I would love to program an app to work with this... obviously similarities to the touch screen.

Looks sweet. Thanks for posting

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
this seems even better than kinect for pc, which already was exciting to me. this is simply amazing. adapting this to be used on say an MMO or even for browsing the web. oh man it makes me tingly. 70 bucks?! hell, i second the christmas list comment! definitely want!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Infinite thanks for sharing this; although I wouldn't say a quantum leap in computing. Closer to a quantum leap in the interaction between humans and computers, for different applications. As a 3d artist the first thing I thought when watching this was its impact on the modeling process (which I also find can be tedious). Then when I read what you said about you yourself being into 3d, and having done a test run of this... I'm anticipating this even more.

Once again thank you for this thread!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is now on my list of must have items IF it's supported by linux. And that's a big if. BUt I went to linux for my mobile devices a few years back and there's no looking back now so I truly hope this can work with that.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Bravo!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!! UFOlogists world wide are chomping at the bit so they can better fake their videos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join