It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 - 2023. Will these predictions come true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
As we all know, technological advances in all aspects of our lives appear to be moving at an astonishing pace and there seems to be no signs of it slowing down - here is a list of what we can expect to see and what we can expect to become mainstream in the next decade alone:
Ninemsn.....

2013 - Bionic Implants (Monash University - Melbourne)

2014 - Computers that simulate the brain The Human Brain Project
2015 - NASA's New Horizons probe makes it to Pluto
2016 - We are the Borg
2017 - Synthetic Telepathy or mind reading (US Army research)
2018 - 3D printing
2019 - Driver-less vehicles.

2020 - No more credit cards [cue evil laugh]
2021 - Robotic Construction (Caterpillar)
2022 - Computer games & Reality fuse

2023 - Reality TV hits Mars

edit on 25-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: deleted unnecessary pics

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
hmm all i could picture while reading this was total recall the arnold one

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Oh man!!!..
I've been waiting for this stuff since I was 6
Can't think for the life of me wht it's taking so long..

oh yeah, that thing they call money..
Whatever they make has to be profitable otherwise what's the point of 'helping' mankind...

I've felt, for a long time now, where is our future? Where are all the things they said we could expect now when the ideas were presented 30 years ago or so...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Pretty much all these things are coming true now, but telepathy, hmmm. Id imagine this will more than likely be achieved when people have mobile phone/internet chips implanted in there minds allowing private near instant telecommunications as apposed to actual telepathy.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

To add to that - on closer inspection of these "technological advances" one sees the following:-

1. Control is taken away from the people (The human brain project, mind reading, driver-less vehicles, credit cards, robotic construction)
2. There is a perceived intent to "dumb us down" (computer games, Mars TV).
3. Control mechanisms would easily be able to be put in place to oversee the many by the few - especially true with the cars and credit cards.

Exciting and scary at the same time. I see the 3D printing really taking off if that technology can be honed - it would literally make our lives seemingly blissful to be able to simply say to a computer what we want and then "Presto" - its there. For example, there would be no more waiting 6+ months to get that dream home built

Cheers for the thumbs up too mate - appreciated.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Yes, I'm with you on the dumbing down part..
But I'm one of those that sometimes hopes there's a bit more to it than meets the eye..

If we've got less things to do, like drive a car as it's done for us, then whilst we're sat there doing nothing, we could be inventing the everlasting ice-pop or doing some knitting or on the back seat with person(s) of your choice..

Combine all of that with robotic implants and you'll soon be quite efficient at doing nothing, but a creative nothing.

So there we all are, full of implants being driven around the place automatically to go play "invasion of the zombie marsh lords" out on dartmoor in real holovision 4D with realistic gun blasts and screams of agony... when suddenly.. something bad goes wrong..

and by bad, I mean 'designed' type of bad..
And we have to leave Earth...
yeah we got time on our hands and canjust about make enough ships to send us all out there to find a new home and carry on the human race.. taking with us a lot of the old things.. like greed and corporate logos.
But we'll be doing it with implanted body bits, upgraded navigational systems, fully automatic food growers and a holodeck reliving the final years of some terrible historical past moment in full colour with real blood effects..

That's where I see all this taking us..
Roger Waters said it best.. "this species has amused itself to death"

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Murad

Id imagine this will more than likely be achieved when people have mobile phone/internet chips implanted in there minds allowing private near instant telecommunications as apposed to actual telepathy.

Yep - a slight variance on that comment is exactly their intentions:-

This seemingly psychic communication would be computer-mediated. The University of California, Irvine explains: The brain-computer interface would use a noninvasive brain imaging technology like electroencephalography to let people communicate thoughts to each other. For example, a soldier would "think" a message to be transmitted and a computer-based speech recognition system would decode the EEG signals. The decoded thoughts, in essence translated brain waves, are transmitted using a system that points in the direction of the intended target.Wired.com........

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I'm totally for the advancement of tech to make life easier as well - I'm just concerned that overall control of same, in the hands of people that that are not acting in our best interests or for the betterment of civilization, could result in a virtual "prison planet".

But I do indeed remain genuinely optimistic regarding such advances, my comments are merely my own "fail safe" mechanism kicking in to keep it real and not be naive to possible malevolent intentions................

edit on 25-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: because there is no "j" in the word "the"

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Even if these advances are made reality on a large scale I do know one that we will never have, but many dream of it.

There will still be no flying cars.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well......then let me make your day by keeping your dream alive - keep your eyes of these guys:-
howstuffworks.com

guardian.com
wired.com
ibtimes.com

Concept flying car:-

Although one article indicates 2012 release date - the eventual production of flying cars is not in the too distant future..............

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It just dawned on me one way of reducing DUI's if flying cars ever came about.

The cop flys next to the drunk and says, "Please put your car in hover mode and step out with driver license and registration."

And if the person complies and plummets to their death, well, we know they were drunk...or very stupid.

Imagine the savings in court costs alone.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Classic stuff mate - however that would be F.U.I no?

What they save in court costs could go towards clean-up costs perhaps?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

F.U.I? Watch your language!

Oh, wait...I get it.

I'm thinking that it could be quite the lucrative business recovering cars stuck in hover mode.

With any tech...you'll still need customer support, so we know those jobs won't be going away anytime soon.

top topics

join