It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is more important in your eyes, "honesty" (Truth) or "compassion" (Love)?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Honesty is a light which will guide others to your true compassion.

Would you prefer a world where everyone was compassionate always trying to do what others want so that they can stay happy and not giving negative opinions in order not to "offend" others?

IMO , It is hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy brings more complication. Complication will take you away from solution.
edit on 25-8-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The two are inseparable...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
To "honestly" love is the answer. In this world lying is the only way to survive without becoming an alienated under bridge dwelling troll.

To love someone whose mere existence disgusts you is tough. But it can be done with honesty and integrity. But you are lying at the same time because you dont tell them that they disgust you. Unless your example tells them the truth of your feelings.

Can one 'love' a murdering pedophile? Yup.

Actually imo thats the only way to ensure a pure response of the cosmos. Be patient and observe. The universe has a wonderful way of balancing itself.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well I just started a Philosophy class so I believe that makes me an expert

Really though, in an all-around world...you really need both. In a one-on-one relationship, I personally want honesty more than anything else. With honesty comes truth, trust, faith, loyalty, etc. With compassion, you may or may not have any of those...but you'd get along great, right?
anyway that's my take on it, for individual relationship.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is not even a question really.

Truth is more important than anything.
I neither require nor ask for anyone's love. But if you can't tell me the truth, then I have use for you.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Truth humbles us and brings about compassion. It is deceit that causes much harm.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Truth is relative. And actually nobody wants the truth, only some confirmation of their own concepts. There's nothing more frightening than the truth.
If everyone would know and accept the truth, this world would be perfect.
Compassion is very important, especially in a world of lies and deceit. But is not everything. It's not black and white. Some healthy dose of truth is essential also. As well as the wisdom to know when and where is necessary.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I thought the two were one and the same.
Where boundaries have no use...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Idk. There must be something wrong with me. The times I felt the most loved in my life were when 2 guys I'm thinking of right now - different relationships, different men, years apart, nothing to do with each other. Except one thing. They had one thing in common. They would tell me the brutal truth about myself. And because I was close to them and trusted them, I knew it was an act of love. And man it felt GOOD.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by YAHUWAH SAVES
The two are inseparable...

Truth is Love. Love is Truth. That's why I dig Jesus. He gets it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Would you prefer a world where everyone was honest with themselves and others, a completely open world where everyone being can walk in full truth of their own nature, or...

Would you prefer a world where everyone was compassionate always trying to do what others want so that they can stay happy and not giving negative opinions in order not to "offend" others?

Honesty is perceptual and not always truthful; for example, zealots honestly believe their truths.

We all have needs, but people-pleasing is not compassion, it is pathology.

Sometimes I hear people talking and one would say "you are being so negative" and then they'll respond "I'm just trying to help you by telling you the truth!".

If we live in a world of love, don't you think that people will turn a "blind eye" to things that they dislike, trying to find a way to "love" it or not "offend"?

For example, some people hate gays. They admit they don't like them, but wouldn't a person who "pretends" to like gays be even worse? A least the first person was honest but the second was just a fake person...

Do we really want to live in a world of where people mask their true identity as unique humans and give out compliments and smiles for the sake of "love" rather than being their own unique individuals and free?

I know sometimes it will lead to "conflict" and "pain" but is that really any worse than a world where you can not really express yourself?

What do you think about this?
edit on 25-8-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

I think that empathy and compassion can be uncomfortable & openly displaying either is not always appropriate, but as Carl Rogers emphasized, congruence or authenticity is guided by intrinsic honesty—I’d say that’s the world that I’d like to live in. S&F for the cool thread!
edit on 25-8-2012 by OlafMiacov because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Hell with trying to keep everyone happy... Just tell the damm truth to begin with. If everyone did, this world would be a more loving place.. As it is you can not believe a damm word anyone tells you which just makes me so mad. If you have the truth that in its self lets you have compation and love. Other wise you can not trust anyone or believe a word.. SO TRUTH IS LOVE...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Honesty is not truth,compassion is not love.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Would you prefer a world where everyone was honest with themselves and others, a completely open world where everyone being can walk in full truth of their own nature, or...

What? Compassionate does not mean "subordinate".....being compassionate means being able to consider being in the other's shoes for a day. Nor does it in any way imply one must "try to do what others want so that they can stay happy"......etc.

that is "co-dependent".

Big, giant, humongous difference there.

Yes, people should be able to walk in their "own nature" and "be honest".....
while still being able to 'empathize' with the plight of others.

This does not equate to "solving the others' problems" at the expense of one's own self, one's own dignity.

edit on 25-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hmm. Thank you for getting me to think a little about this idea.
For myself, the question that pops up is "what if the ultimate Truth is Love?"
Being me, I would hate to pick one over the other. I would posit that the world and everything in it would not exist without "love." For to me Love is the power of positive attraction that binds together the simplest energies of the universe all the way through the quantum world and into the hard density of matter, and on to the realm of conscious life, where we get to look back on that which we come from, Love, and wonder at it, or not, depending. We are Love, far more than just the "feelings" level. This binding Love is the source of the interconnectedness of all things, and all beings. And, for me, there is nothing as True as this.

Your question, however, was more about human relationships/interactions. Compassion means "to suffer with" - it relates to empathy and being able to put yourself in another's shoes in order to understand them and to "feel with" them. One can be honestly compassionate - as in not enabling people who are being destructive. To show compassion could be the expression of one's deepest heart-felt truth, like sincerely offering comfort to someone in grief. Love and Truth are not mutually exclusive, ever.

If I have to face a difficult conversation with someone, where I need to be honest with them about something that may hurt them or be hard for them to hear, I strive to do it with great respect and compassion (to varying degress of success, I might add...) Also, to walk through life pretending we are other than we are shows a lack of compassion for oneself. Being true to oneself is a form of compassion. Striving to honestly approach others from a compassionate place in the heart is, imo, an essential part of a spiritual path. Now, our "truth" may be based in a lack of Love and Compassion, and so we might throw negative judgements around, project our worst qualities onto others and judge them for it, etc. In which case, compassion to the self would mean reevaluating our small, mean spirited little 'truth' through the eyes of that greater Truth; that of Love itself.

Hope that made sense - and seriously NOT trying to sound preachy. I get myself tied in mystical pretzels over things like this! It's fun. Again, thank you for something interesting to contemplate. I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

peace,
AB

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Honesty.

Without honesty you can't have love.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If every single person was honest 100% there would be very little crime, the leaders would be good leaders all things would be good children would not get into trouble, spouses would not cheat no one would dishonor another and so compassion and all good would follow.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Well there would be no more betrayal, and people would be more free, but I'm sure if two people are honest there will eventually be conflict, which already happens with or without honesty.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I think honesty is more important...its something I have trouble with as I can't bear to hurt people so I say nothing, but then spend weeks or months running conversations through my head of what I really want to say to some people, it drives me crazy, but I would pick honesty first......

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
for me personally.. Truth can be subjective, and depends on where you see things.

Thinking you know the Truth can be destructive to your life, living a life full of love and lead by love is not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join