It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Mars - A strange example of very very localised wind/water erosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This appears to be a pillar holding up a rock. As far as I can see, it is not a terribly large rock and so I dont know why this should be created here in this strange way. There is also an area of worn ground as if the wind or water is flowing particularly strongly around this pillar. Anyway, I am sure there are explanations out there.

It is strange that we do not see this followed up by other areas of wind/water erosion, but hey... you know Mars... full of anomalies and wierdness. :-)

The original comes from here

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If there was wind and/or water erosion on that area I would expect to see some effect of that erosion on the rocks instead of those sharp edges, so I think only minimal erosion has happened there.

One thing I have noticed in the photos taken by the Mars rovers is that different coloured dust has different densities, so some colours (blueish) are more easily moved by wind than others (reddish), so the difference in colour may give an idea of more erosion than there really is.

And no, I don't think it's a "pillar holding up a rock". look at the following animation to get a better idea of the scene.
(the images are not from that photo, but they show the same rocks)

According to AlgorimancerPG, that longish rock is some 28 cm long and is at a distance of 5 metres from the camera.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There are rocks everywhere.
A gift from Venus if Velikovsky is right.

join