It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aztec and Norse god of war are both missing one hand.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but in pre-islamic era, the Arabs were worshipping a god called "Hubal", who had a statue in Mecca with one severed hand and replaced by a golden hand, it was worshipped as the most important god among the 360 idols present in Mecca :

Hubal most prominently appears at Mecca, where an image of his was worshipped at the Kaaba. According to Karen Armstrong, the sanctuary was dedicated to Hubal, who was worshipped as the greatest of the 360 idols the Kaaba contained, which probably represented the days of the year.

Hisham Ibn Al-Kalbi's Book of Idols describes the image as shaped like a human, with the right hand broken off and replaced with a golden hand

Mircea Eliade and Charles J. Adams assert that he was "a god of rain and a warrior god. Towards the end of the pre-Islamic era he emerged as an intertribal warrior god worshipped by the Quarysh and the allied tribes of the Kinana and Tihama." The view that he was a warrior rain god is repeated by David Adams Leeming

Hubal
Arabian mythology

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

I think you hit the nail on the head! Sounds like the same guy. The Arabian god and Aztec god both start with the same letters, HU: Hubal – Huitzilopochtli.

Hubal (Arabic: هبل‎) was a god worshipped in pre-Islamic Arabia, notably at the Kaaba in Mecca. His idol was a human figure, believed to control acts of divination, which were made by tossing arrows in front of the statue. The direction in which the arrows pointed answered questions asked of the idol.
en.wikipedia.org...

Hisham Ibn Al-Kalbi's Book of Idols describes the image as shaped like a human, with the right hand broken off and replaced with a golden hand.

Both authors speak of seven arrows, placed before the image, which were cast for divination, in cases of death, virginity and marriage.

Mircea Eliade and Charles J. Adams assert that he was "a god of rain and a warrior god. Towards the end of the pre-Islamic era he emerged as an intertribal warrior god worshipped by the Quarysh and the allied tribes of the Kinana and Tihama.". The view that he was a warrior rain god is repeated by David Adams Leeming.
en.wikipedia.org...

This European rendering (1602 A.D) of Huitzilopochtli shows a strange attachment over his right hand and his left hand is holding four arrows.

This artwork of Huitzilopochtli shows him holding five arrows.

The Aztec and Arabian god both have a fake hand, a number of arrows in one hand and they both are war gods. It makes you wonder if there was an ancient sea faring culture pushing the worship of this particular god.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I have read that "hu" was the article "the", and "bal" was from the well known god "baal", which means "master", so "hubal" would mean "THE god" "THE master", the one above all other gods.

Also, just for the fun, on the artwork that you have uploaded, it seems that the penis is prolonged by some kind of snake, and that reminds me of "pazuzu", a lesser Sumerian divinity:

Pazuzu is often depicted as a combination of diverse animal and human parts. He has the body of a man, the head of a lion or dog, eagle-like taloned feet, two pairs of wings, a scorpion's tail, and a serpentine penis. He is often depicted with his right hand pointing upward and left hand pointing down

Pazuzu is the demon in the film "the exorcist".
The French wikipedia page has more information on pazuzu than the English one.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i was thinking about this thread

i saw a picture of napoleon

i remember being told he lost it

but ...i know he was fascinated with egypt

was he trying to potray the image that he was the god of war...osiris

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Its creepy freemason symbolism as usual.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That statue in the second picture has a broken hand. You can see where the thumb was, it's obvious.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Not really it was common way of sitting for a painting - especially when one had to sit still for a long period of time

He had two hands.....

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, where Hubal was worshipped, reminds me of the name Huitzilopochtli gave the Aztecs which was Mexica.

Hubal most prominently appears at Mecca, where an image of his was worshipped at the Kaaba.
en.wikipedia.org...

Huitzilopochtli ordered them to abandon Aztlan and find a new home. He also ordered them never to call themselves Aztec; instead they should be called "Mexica."
en.wikipedia.org...

After Hubal was banished from Saudi Arabia did he relocate to the New World to find new followers?

Both Hubal and Huitzilopochtli loved to have massive sacrifices offered to them.

Hubal

Al-Azraqi also relates that it "had a vault for the sacrifice" and that the offering consisted of a hundred camels.
en.wikipedia.org...

Huitzilopochtli

For the reconsecration of Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan in 1487, dedicated to Tlaloc and Huitzilopochtli, the Aztecs reported that they sacrificed about 20,400 prisoners over the course of four days.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This thread is too long for me to read through right now.

I do have to wonder if this deals with the whole HIdden Hand phenomena that we see in pictures of old.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cry93
This thread is too long for me to read through right now.

I do have to wonder if this deals with the whole HIdden Hand phenomena that we see in pictures of old.

Please direct us to one of those old pictures, with a link. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I found this interesting statement of why Napoleon put his hand in his coat for the artists.

In real life," Miller observes, "the 'hand-held-in' was a common stance for men of breeding." Miller goes on to give many examples of this posture in painted portraits dating from the early and middle 1700s, well before Napoleon's birth. In 1738 Francois Nivelon published A Book Of Genteel Behavior describing the "hand-in-waistcoat" posture as signifying "manly boldness tempered with modesty." Miller says that the hidden hand was a feature of some statues of the ancient Greeks and Romans and that later painters based their poses on classical models. The pose was recommended by certain classical writers as a useful posture for orators.
www.napoleon-series.org...

The hidden hand was common in ancient artwork.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Just do a Google search for it.

I can tell you offhand that Napoleon was one who poses with his hand hidden. I believe there are also photos of George Washington hiding his hand as well.

Too many leaders/.rulers to even scratch the surface here.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

There is this bit about the black stone in Mecca :

The Indian Islamic scholar Muhammad Hamidullah summed up the meaning of the Black Stone:
[T]he Prophet has named the (Black Stone) the 'right hand of God' (yamin-Allah), and for purpose. In fact one poses there one's hand to conclude the pact, and God obtains there our pact of allegiance and submission. In the qur'anic terminology, God is the king, and ... in (his) realm there is a metropolis (Umm al-Qurra) and in the metropolis naturally a palace (Bait-Allah, home of God). If a subject wants to testify to his loyalty, he has to go to the royal palace and conclude personally the pact of allegiance. The right hand of the invisible God must be visible symbolically. And that is the al-Hajar al-Aswad, the Black Stone in the Ka'bah.
link
There is again this symbolism of the hand. I am not sure if the black stone was also linked to Hubal before Islam, but what is certain is that before Islam the black stone was present and worshipped in Mecca, as was Hubal. But since Hubal was the most important divinity, among the 360 and that the black stone has been chosen as a symbol of Islam, it is fair hypothesis to say that the black stone and Hubal were linked in someway.
edit on 12-11-2012 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2012 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
HANSLUNE...mate cmon

look

and others were doing it

and as the above poster said...there are many people posing like this

napoloen considered himself emperor....its definatly a divine leader pose...the god of war....Osiris

on a side note - i just watched "return of the jedi"....in that film both luke skywalker and darth vador...have a missing right hand
edit on 12-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The point was he had two hands and was painted and draw with both out....I would also note that Star Wars is a fictional story.

Again what magical purpose does this hidden hand do? lol

edit on 12/11/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

The point was he had two hands and was painted and draw with both out....

ok...thank you for that...as i was old by my "teacher" that he lost it
now i see that it was a pose...thank you

I would also note that Star Wars is a fictional story.

thats news to me...so your telling me it wasnt a documentary!
lol...BTW
djedi - fifth dynasty cult priest that ushered in the 5th dynasty and sun king rule

Again what magical purpose does this hidden hand do? lol

hiding the rabbit..lol

i personally think its meant to be orion....with out sirius....which returns after 70 days and brings nile flood

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

Thanks for finding that information about the black stone at the Kaaba. It appears that making an oath to the rock is comparable to the western world making an oath to the bible. There’s probably a legend associating Hubal to the black stone but it was likely destroyed by Muhammad’s army.

Part of the Islamic legend may still hold pieces of the original story. The legend said that a white stone fell from heaven. Then the stone was lost during the Deluge. Later, Ibrahim found the stone with the help of an angel, but it turned black.

Since the stone was black during Muhammad’s time I would assume it was originally black and would be associated with Hubal. Since we’re comparing Meccan mythology with Aztec mythology I wondered what was similar between the two cultures with a sacred black circular object. The first thing that came to mind was the black sun mythology of the Aztecs.

For the Mexicas there were two suns, the young Day sun and the ancient sun, the Dark sun. Some scholars regard the mythological Black sun as the ancient female origin of all, it is both tomb and womb. This way, it is the oneness that uniformly integrates unawareness, death, and yet an expectation of fecundity.

The Aztecs associated the passage of the Black Sun, on its nightly journey through the underworld with the image of a butterfly. The butterfly, in turn, is an archetypical symbol of the transcendent soul, transformation and mystical rebirth, whereas also seen in the figure of the frightening earth goddess Itzpapalotl, the "Obsidian Butterfly", that devoured people during the solar eclipses, while the Aztec underworld was the eternal dwelling place of the souls.
en.wikipedia.org...(mythology)

I find it interesting that the Obsidian Butterfly also fell from heaven.

As the legend goes, Itzpapalotl fell from heaven along with Tzitzimime and several other shapes such as scorpions and toads. Itzpapalotl wore an invisible cloak so that no one could see her. At some times, she was said to have dressed up like a lady of the Mexican Court, caking her face with white powder and lining her cheeks with strips of rubber. Her fingers tapered into the claws of a jaguar, and her toes into eagle's claws.
en.wikipedia.org...

Obsidian is a black volcanic glass rock. They make good arrowheads.

Where there’s Obsidian, there’s Obi-Wan Kenobi. “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi! You’re my only hope!” – Princess Leia (Star Wars – New Hope)

I love the Star Wars saga. Pharoah, thanks for sharing that bit about the missing hands of both Skywalkers.

I can't believe it, Family Guy-Star Wars just started on the channel I was tuned to.
edit on 12-11-2012 by lostinspace because: added coincidence

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hey, This other thread discussing the Ancient Vimana happens to discuss an extraterrestrial entity. 50 cents says this guy is your one handed god of war!

Why did these danava come to Earth, was their home planet destroyed or was it a scientific venture? Firstly let us explain what the word danava actually means, it simply means a decedent of Danu. In ancient Irish text these danava are called Tuatha Dé Danann which essentially means the same thing. They are presented in Irish text as being technologically very advanced for example Nuada who was the son of Danu and a king among the Tuatha Dé Danann lost his hand at the battle of Magh Tuireadh only to be replaced by a mechanical hand made from silver, after this he was called Nuada of the silver hand.
Seriously, there is more info, its great OP at this link go read it. Do it, do it.The Riddle of The One Handed Extra Terrestrial God of War (Is He Really Darth Vader?)

edit on 11-2-2013 by NJoyZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

Thanks for directing me to that thread. Those flying Vimana ships made me want to explore the works of Jonathan Swift a little more. Through his work of fiction, called Gulliver’s Travels, he described a floating island called Laputa that was controlled by its inhabitants. The story explains that the Laputians identified the two moons of mars and their orbits through their keen interest in astronomy. What is strange about this is that those moon and their orbits were not identified by astronomers until 150 years later. Swift was almost right on with the orbits. I wonder where he obtained this foreknowledge.

Phobos’ orbital period is actually 7.6 hours, Swift predicted 10 hours.
Deimos’ orbital period is actually 30.2 hours, Swift predicted 21.5 hours.

The story says the Laputian men were obsessed with mathematics, astronomy and musical instruments. They were always on the lookout for astronomical signs and were worried that the sun might go out.

www.gradesaver.com...
www.gradesaver.com...
www.online-literature.com...

This is the part that relates to this thread.

They are constantly worrying about dangers such as the possibility that the sun might go out.

www.gradesaver.com...

The Aztec and the Norse both worried that the sun may go out as well.

Aztec

"Should these sacrifices cease, or should mankind fail to please the gods for any other reason, this fifth sun will go black, the world will be shattered by a catastrophic earthquake, and the Tzitzimitl will slay Huitzilopochtli and all of humanity.”
en.wikipedia.org...

Norse

"High describes that the wolf will first swallow the sun, and then his brother the moon, and mankind will consider the occurrence as a great disaster resulting in much ruin.”
en.wikipedia.org...

Since Swift was from the land of the Tuatha De Danann in Ireland he may have been exposed to hidden ancient texts that revealed some lost knowledge.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

lonegurkha

I couldn't help but notice that there is a resemblance between the missing hand and the egyptian symbol for life.

I think it's a reminder.
Remember what happened last time you fed the lizard God ?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join