It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aztec and Norse god of war are both missing one hand.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
You could be right. But you could also be wrong. Since I'm a mere mortal and not a God like you must be, I will not pretend to know such impossible things as the intentions behind the wording of the book of Genesis, which is a book that is well over 2,000 years old.

But, from what my simple, mortal sense of logic tells me, it seems that all you have shown is that it is one individual SPEAKING, and so this singular individual could possibly be speaking about a group that included both himself and others.

What's impossible to know? It's written in Hebrew, Hebrew has rules just like every other language, and the rules regarding those phrases dictate that they are singular. I don't see what is hard to understand about that? No mystery, just linguistics. He said the wording of the Bible implied multiple entities, and the rules of the Hebrew language dictate that it is actually a reference to a singular entity. Does knowing the rules of a language and pointing them out to somebody imply that i believe myself to be god-like?
And what does being 2,000 years old have to do with anything? Did languages not have rules, and words not have specific meanings, 2,000 years ago???

I'm not making a theological statement, i'm explaining the Hebrew terminology. Sweet lord....

edit on 29-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The silver handed-armed Nuada Airgetlam king of Tuatha De Danann. (modern spelling: Airgeatlámh, meaning "silver hand/arm"). A mythical person of Ireland. This is how Hellboy 2 depicts him.

I love how the TLA or ATLA is part of the "silver hand/arm" meaning.
Airgetlam or Airgeatlamh

Irish word a day - Airgead = Silver
That means "tlam" means arm or hand to the ancient Celts.

Aztlan - Atlan

Does anybody remember the life-draining Wraith creatures from the TV series Stargate Atlantis? They look the same - but that's just Hollywood talking.

edit on 29-8-2012 by lostinspace because: took out wrong word

edit on 29-8-2012 by lostinspace because: added Irish word for silver

edit on 29-8-2012 by lostinspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
nice post dude.

i wondered about this......i then attributed your findings with the ORIGINAL god of war....osiris/orion

about 5 yearts ago, i read in a forum on anoother site that someone was asking why orions hand was missing!!

i looked at the old images of AE....one image stood out.
as you can see below, osiris/orion has a spear in one hand...and the other is represented with a star.

can all these images represent that particular star being missing???? maybe at different times of the year

peace

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Interesting observation. I agree on many portions of what you said. Tyr is even mentioned as being a father of the gods.

while the origins of his name and his possible relationship to Tuisto (see Tacitus' Germania) suggest he was once considered the father of the gods and head of the pantheon, since his name is ultimately cognate to that of *Dyeus (cf. Dyaus), the reconstructed chief deity in Indo-European religion.

en.wikipedia.org...

I've wondered myself if some of the depictions of Ragnarok might be ancient scenes of astronomical events. In Norse prophecy Tyr is supposed to be killed by the hound Garmr. One would have to identify what constellation, star or planet represents Tyr and or Garmr. Actually, Garmr is the one creature that initiates the final battle of the gods. In Old Norse Garmr means "Rag".There are two dog constellation near Orion which could be associated with Garmr. Those constellations are Canis Major and Canis minor. These dogs are believed to be Orion's hunter dogs.

There is one interesting thing about Canis Major. It has the brightest star in the night sky. The star is called Sirius. It emits the light of about 20 suns. Astronomers classify its brightness to be magnitude -1.44 and it is only 8.6 light years away.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

makes good sense

could it be siruis?? i know sirius disappears for 70 days and returns at the same time the nile floods.
that is if it is sirius

peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

The gods where star men, some good, some bad
the bad ones promoted sacrifice and enslaved, the good ones taught science/truth, they traveled to many continents easily as they had star ships

most people think we are the only humans, it wont be long where we will know how silly that is

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It´s interesting that the "Lusitanians used to cut off the right hand of prisoners and consecrated it to Cariocecus." (Quote from the link below).

Cariocecus was their God of War. Did they do this because their god of war was missing his right hand? I couldn´t find anything confirming this or any other motive behind the practice.

Wikipedia on Cariocecus

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus

Originally posted by 007Polytoks
A quote from the bible, which uses the plural "our" to describe the image that man was created in, has always struck me as meaning that there was multiple beings who were involved in our conception/creation. The fact that it says "in our image" would also indicate that we look a-lot like them, or at least similarly.

In the instances in which God APPEARS to speak in the plural in regards to itself, it uses the intensive plural. In other words, it has a plural ending, but the verbs and adjectives which accompany it are all singular. Intensive plurality refers to a SINGLE object or person, with the plural ending simply implying the greatness of said individual. Thus, it does not mean "gods," but rather "great God."

Before he says "Let us make man in our image," it says in the original Hebrew "And (he) Elohim said."
The speaker is a singular individual. Had it referred to multiple entities, it would have used the Hebrew phrase meaning "And (they) Elohim said."
Every single time the phrase "Elohim said/ spoke" appears in the Bible, it uses the Hebrew phrase meaning "(he) God said/ spoke" in the singular, and never "(they) God said/ spoke" in the plural.

So, your entire point is based upon a completely false foundation/assertion.

Ok, but what about the "us" and "our" found in that same passage. Let "us" make man in "our" image. And later when man falls they keep Adam from the tree of life lest he becomes like "us".

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Ok, but what about the "us" and "our" found in that same passage. Let "us" make man in "our" image. And later when man falls they keep Adam from the tree of life lest he becomes like "us".

While this may not go over well with some in ATS, I am one that firmly believes, the Transliteration is accurate, in the case of the 6th Day.

I have qualms with Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, but the narrative spelled out in Genesis 1:26 appears fairly accurate.

This is simply a statement of a Choice being made by GOD and the Sons of GOD.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The choice was made to create/recreate man in a fashion that resembled GOD and the Sons of GOD.

In my PERSONAL opinion, there are distinctions and differences between the Sons of GOD. They are not carbon copies of each other, they are unique and special in their own appearances.

I believe, we are seeing the "INTRODUCTION" of the Races of Man. Still "Hunter Gatherer" but distinct Races of Mankind, given dominion as the narrative indicates.

NOW, with that said.......

What is indicated in Verse 27?????

GOD made man.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

So, we see two distinct things. A collective collaboration of the premise, and the singular act of creating/recreating man.

Ciao

Shane

P.S. "Creating/Recreating"????? WTF is this, some may ask?

I do not believe this is the FIRST appearance of Man as a species on this planet. The Fossil record bears witness to this, as does a proper Transliteration of Genesis 1;1 and Genesis 1;2.

Without the added wording used by the Translators, that imply, GOD created the Heavens and the Earth, and they were void, and without form.

Genesis 1:1IN the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void;

"WAS" or the implication of this term are not found in the Original Text.

What can be presented, without ADDING ADDITIONAL TERMS to the Original text would be as follows.

And the Earth BECAME a waste and a desolation, which is also confirmed in many other verses scripturaly.

This is also clearly demonstrated within the Fossil Record.

What is occuring on the 6th day, is the reintroduction of mankind, as a species, (as distinct Races which display the differences of the Sons of GOD). I think Science would call this this Missing Link, if IT simply took a respectful look at the Historical Record of Mankind, apposed to saying theres "something else" we call the Missing Link, and ignoring that link is addressed within the Scriptures.

And then this leads back to the Form of GLOBAL Worship. We had ONE FORM of WORSHIP after that day of Creation/Recreation. We worshiped GOD, until the Fall, which then created the situation we are discussing now.

COMMON PRACTISES with minor variations found around the GLOBE.

Good Night all.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RationalDespair
It´s interesting that the "Lusitanians used to cut off the right hand of prisoners and consecrated it to Cariocecus." (Quote from the link below).

Cariocecus was their God of War. Did they do this because their god of war was missing his right hand? I couldn´t find anything confirming this or any other motive behind the practice.

Wikipedia on Cariocecus

Good find! We’ll have to dig deeper to find the answer.

I wonder if the war god named Cariocecus somehow brought about the naming of the Carib people in the Caribbean?

The Caribs are an Amerindian people who lived in the Lesser Antilles islands within the Caribbean.

I found this piece of information very intriguing about the Caribs:

Contrary to the Arawaks/Tainos which were peaceful and only defended themselves against attack from others, the Caribs were warriors belonging to a culture that valued exploits in combat above all else.

The Caribs seem to have owed their dominance in the Caribbean basin to their mastery of the arts of war. Extremely warlike and ferocious, they seem to have overrun the Lesser Antilles and to have driven out the Arawak about a century before the arrival of Christopher Columbus.

The Karibs/Caribs were expert boat builders and skilled, and canoeists, and their fleets sometimes included 100 sail-fitted, dugout canoes. On land, they lived in small settlements, farmed and fished, and hunted game with blowguns and bows and arrows. They were incredibly accurate bowmen and used a powerful poison to paralyze their prey.

www.caribpro.com...

They put up a fierce fight to defend the islands from colonization. They eventually lost to the British. If these people had some sort of tie to this Lusitanian god of war they sure tried to live up to his name.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Thanks, I was just going through a list of mythical gods of war to see if anything popped up.

Unfortunately, I couldn´t find much information on Cariocecus, other than the stub on Wikipedia.

I´m going to see if I can find a connection. It´s not unthinkable, since the Lusitanian are obviously connected to modern-day Portugal, and the Antilles are as well. The native language on the Leeward Antilles (now mostly part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands) is Papiamentu, which is a mix of Portugese, Spanish, English and Dutch.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Maybe this is where Tyr's missing Hand went, after it was eaten by the wolf. It's in the glyph sign of Bolon Yokte.

Bolon Yokte is also associated with the Nine supports gods or the nine Lords of the Night. It so happens that the number nine is mentioned many times in Norse mythology. Here are some examples taken from:
en.wikipedia.org...

The Norse cosmology knows nine worlds that are supported by the Yggdrasil World Tree.
During Ragnarok, Thor kills Jormungandr but staggers back nine steps before falling dead himself.
[color=FFFF00]Odin's ring Draupnir released eight golden drops every ninth night, forming rings of equal worth for a total of nine rings.
There are nine daughters of Ægir.
There are nine mothers of Heimdall.
In Skimismal, Freyr is obliged to wait nine nights to consummate his union with Gerd.
[color=800000]In Fjolxvinnsmal, Laegjarn's chest is fastened with nine locks.

Even Icelandic legends mention the importance of the number nine in their stories. The mytholgical people called Tuatha De Dananna recount this story about their king Nuada:

Led by their king, Nuada, they fought the First Battle of Magh Tuireadh on the west coast, in which they defeated and displaced the native Fir Bolg, who then inhabited
Ireland. In the battle, Nuada lost an arm to their champion, Sreng. Since Nuada was no longer "unblemished", he could not continue as king and was replaced by the half-Fomorian Bres, who turned out to be a tyrant. The physician Dian Cecht replaced Nuada's arm with a working silver one and he was reinstated as king. However, Dian Cecht's son Miach was dissatisfied with the replacement so he recited the spell, "ault fri halt dí & féith fri féth" (joint to joint of it and sinew to sinew), which caused flesh to grow over the silver prosthesis over the course of nine days and nights.

en.wikipedia.org...

This glyph of Bolon Yokte is from the Tortuguero monument that mentions the completion of the Thirteenth Bak'tun. It reads:

"The Thirteenth Bak'tun will be finished (on) Four Ahaw, the Third of K'ank'in ? will occur. (It will be) the descent(?) of the Nine Support (?) God (s) to the ?."

en.wikipedia.org...(Maya_site)

This is how the museum that houses the monument translates the passage:
Completara/terminara, decimotercero, En el dia 4 Ajaw, 3 K'ank'in (13.0.0.0.0 23 dec 2012), ocurrira, el avistarmiento, de la presentacion del dios B'olon Yookte', en la gran, investidura

English translation:
Completed/Terminated, Thirteenth, on the day 4 Ajaw K'ank'in, (13.0.0.0.0 Dec 23, 2012) occurred, the sighting, the presentation of the god B'olon Yookte', in the great investiture

Investiture means the act of establishing in office or ratifying.

edit on 15-9-2012 by lostinspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

I love all these cross cultural analysis of different 'gods'.
Its evident to me that these are all the same people and these 'myths' are different cultures interpretations of the events of these sky gods.

I'm trying to get around to reading the mahabharata which also has 'gods' in it which are represented by other cultures.

I would love to see a comparison between all the ancient gods from the celtics, norse, aztec, Egyptian summarian and to see who pops up where and why!

Savitar the hindu 'all powerful' sun god lost a hand too!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Loopdaloop

I found this link when searching for the text that mentions Savitr losing his hand or hands.

books.google.com

The book that mentions this is titled, Decayed Gods: Origins and Development of Georges Dumezil’s “Ideologie Tripartie” by Wouter W. Belier.

The story of their mutilations is told in the brahmana. The gods wanted to start consuming their sacrifice. When they offered the first portion to Savitr, it cut off his hands. Then the gods offered it to Bhaga. It ruined his eyes so that he became blind. Then the gods offered it to Pushan. It knocked his teeth out.

It says Savitr is the creative initiator of movement, who is connected with dusk and night. Bhaga is called the fair distributor, who is connected with dawn and midday.

In the same page the author also mentions Tyr and Nuada because of their missing hands but goes on to say that Nuada is no longer part of the one-handed gods. Maybe that’s due to the fact that his hand grew back.

I find it interesting that the Norse god Tyr and the Hindu god Savitr both have the letters T and R in their name.

Savitr is a deity whose name primarily denote an agent, in the form of a noun derived from a root with the agent suffix -tr.

Savitr

edit on 17-9-2012 by lostinspace because: added root form of Savitr

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Since today is the United States Presidential Election Day I thought this detail was worthy of mention:

Election Day in the United States is the day set by law for the general elections of public officials. It occurs on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November…For federal offices (President, Vice President, and United States Congress), Election Day occurs only in even-numbered years. Presidential elections are held every four years, in years divisible by four, in which electors for President and Vice President are chosen according to the method determined by each state. Elections to the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate are held every two years;
en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

Tuesday is named after Tyr, the Norse god of war.

The English name is derived from Old English Tiwesdæg and Middle English Tewesday, meaning "Tīw's Day", the day of Tiw or Týr, the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology. Tiw was equated with Mars in the interpretatio romana, and the name of the day is a translation of Latin dies Martis.

Etymology

The name Tuesday derives from the Old English "Tiwesdæg" and literally means "Tiw's Day".[1] Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Norse, a god of war and law.
en.wikipedia.org...

Here’s the reason why Tuesday was chosen as the election day.

In 1845, the United States was largely an agrarian society. Farmers often needed a full day to travel by horse-drawn vehicles to the county seat to vote. Tuesday was established as election day because it did not interfere with the Biblical Sabbath or with market day, which was on Wednesday in many towns.
en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

Go to war or not go to war, that’s for a President to decide.
Who is more inclined to make war with Iran? Obama or Romney?
Let’s say Romney because his name reminds me of the name Romulus. Romulus and his brother Remus were the founders of Rome. Their father was the Roman god of war, Mars.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

When it comes to going to war.....whoever is POTUS..... just does what its told.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Anyone made a connection to the latest "the amazing spider man" movie?

Dr. Connors after he regrows his arm:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

When it comes to going to war.....whoever is POTUS..... just does what its told.

And if they don't, they get assassinated.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
Anyone made a connection to the latest "the amazing spider man" movie?

Dr. Connors after he regrows his arm:

Since Dr. Connors injected himself with reptile DNA he was able to grow his missing arm. In reality, lizards can’t regrow their missing legs but they can regrow their tails.

Although people often say that lizards can regenerate, it is not quite the case. Lizards will often shed their tails to escape a predator. The tail will regrow, but it will not be a perfect replacement of the original, and if a lizard loses a leg it will never regrow.
www.scientificamerican.com...

Nuada Airgetlam, king of Tuatha De Danann received a flesh and blood hand from someone named Miach. This Irish character, named Miach, had the ability to heal himself whenever he was dealt a blow. Maybe Nuada and Miach were reptilian overlords who were able to regrow limbs.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Nuada Airgetlam, king of Tuatha De Danann received a flesh and blood hand from someone named Miach. This Irish character, named Miach, had the ability to heal himself whenever he was dealt a blow. Maybe Nuada and Miach were reptilian overlords who were able to regrow limbs.
en.wikipedia.org...

no.

The healing lasted three times three nights and days. "Joint to joint of it, and sinew to sinew," Miach chanted, among other things, and bandaged Nuadu's arm and hand to his middle for the first seventy two hours, and the arm was entirely covered with skin. "Muscle to muscle of it, and vessel to vessel," sang he, binding the king's arm and hand to his chest for the next seventy-two hours, and everything that had been silver was now flesh, nerve, tendon and bone of it. "Strength to strength of it, and habit to habit," chanted Miach, showing Nuadu the exercises to teach his new arm how to act just like the old one. By the end of that seventy-two hours Nuadu was delighted to have a well muscled and coordinated arm, needing only a bit of sun to look just like the other one. His young healer found it hard to join the celebration, however, for he knew word would soon reach his father's ears.

he chanted healing spells, and changed nuada's arm from silver to flesh and blood.
miach was powerful enough to take four blows from his father's sword before dying.
he was a god after all, not a lizard man, you would need supernatural powers to do that.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join