It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Outs Navy Seal in Bin Laden Raid - Now Al-Qaeda Websites Vow Revenge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Fox News Outs Navy Seal in Bin Laden Raid - Now Al-Qaeda Websites Vow Revenge

One of the members of the Seal Team Six raid that killed Osama Bin Laden has published a book, “No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden.” It was published under a pseudonym, "Marc Owen", with the publisher going to great lengths to protect the identity of the writer.

Fox News, however, outed 'Marc Owen', by reporting his real name, age, hometown, and family information. Every other MSM outlet has had the decency and respect and common courtesy to only refer to the author by his pseudonym. Fox, however, outed him to the world, and painted a target on this man's back. Whether you agree with the author for going forward and publishing his book is one matter - but to knowingly expose his name, knowing what sort of revenge can be sent his way, is both crass, negligent, and bordering on evil.

Fox News Hypocritically Publishes Name Of Seal Who Led Bin Laden Raid

In a simply astonishing step of unpatriotic stupidity, Fox News has published the name of a Navy Seal claiming to be a member of Seal Team Six, possibly sinking to an all-time low. The Seal published a book, ”No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden,” under the pseudonym “Mark Owen.” The book is claimed by the publisher (Penguin) to be a first-hand account of the raid, saying that Owen “was one of the first men through the door on the third floor of the terrorist leader’s hideout and was present at his death.”

The Fox news story here:
Bin Laden raid tell-all author revealed, questions raised whether ex-Navy SEALs have freedom of speech

The author of a recently announced insider account of the raid that killed Usama bin Laden has been identified to Fox News as a 36-year-old former Navy SEAL Team 6 member from Alaska who also played a role in the high-profile rescue of an American captain kidnapped by Somali pirates.

The book, "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden," is set to hit shelves on Sept 11. It is penned under the pseudonym "Mark Owen," according to the publisher, but multiple sources told Fox News his name is in fact [snip], of Wrangell, Alaska. [snip] could be exposing himself to legal trouble, as the Pentagon has not vetted the account.

Shortly after, the inevitable happened;

Al-Qaida linked websites threaten ex-Navy SEAL turned author with 'destruction'

Users on several militant Islamic websites affiliated with al-Qaida have posted the name and photo of a former Navy SEAL identified as the author of an upcoming book on the commando raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The posts called for his "destruction" in revenge for the al-Qaida founder’s killing.

"We pray to Allah for his destruction sooner rather than later," said one of the posts.

"Oh Allah, make an example of him for the whole world and give him dark days ahead," read another.

Among the website publishing the death threats was the "Al-Fidaa" web forum, which al-Qaida uses to distribute its media and public communications, said Evan Kohlmann, an NBC News consultant and a terrorism analyst at Flashpoint Partners, a global security firm.

Fox News on Thursday identified the author of the book, which is titled "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden," as a 36-year-old former SEAL from Wrangell, Alaska. The Associated Press later said it had confirmed the author’s identity. (NBC News is not identifying the former SEAL.)

Penguin Group (USA)'s Dutton imprint, the publisher, asked news organizations Thursday to withhold his identity.

"Sharing the true story of his personal experience in 'No Easy Day' is a courageous act in the face of obvious risks to his personal security," Dutton spokeswoman Christine Ball said in a statement to the AP. "That personal security is the sole reason the book is being published under a pseudonym."

Al-Qaeda Websites Post Bin Laden Raid SEAL’s Name And Photo, Vowing Revenge

Fox News yesterday revealed Owen’s true identity and Business Insider published photos. Now it appears al-Qaeda affiliates and/or sympathizers are looki ng for revenge.

Even in the aftermath of the raid last year, top U.S. officials have warned against revealing the names of those who participated in it our of concern for their safety. Pentagon officials and even the book’s publisher are continuing to urge reporters against reporting Owen’s true identity.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
In this case no he doesn't have freedom of speech. When writing books of this type the manuscript has to approved by either the pentagon, white house or CIA.
edit on 24-8-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
In this case no he doesn't have freedom of speech. When writing books of this type the manuscript have to approved by either the pentagon, white house or CIA.

That's not what he's talking about...

Whether or not he has freedom of speech, this is about FOX giving out his name, location, and a photo with his greatest fears written on the back.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Very well said OP.

What FOX news just did goes way beyond being unpatriotic. It is treasonous. I take it FOX is now prepared to take this man's place on the wall protecting America's bubble of freedom and security. Treason.

S & F Big time.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Its all an absolute crock. As if sensors, managers and all that jazz would allow something so obvious to slip. in order to make a lie more believable your create a rukkas over something trivial todo with the lie. This takes to onus if the lies legtimacy.. As if murdochs flagship propoganda piece would reveal the details of this man unwillingly!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Exactly my thoughts. I don't agree the author, as a former Seal member involved in that raid, should have written a book of that mission - although plenty of such books exist of SpecOps missions and the like. However, whatever my opinion of that book, doesn't give me or Fox News the right to leak his real life name and family information that puts his life in jeopardy.

Fox News was deliberately asked not to reveal the authors real name. They defied that wish, and now Al-Qeada has a target to go after for revenge.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted this earlier today. A second thread is also live.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

D'oh - didn't see it. Cuervo also posted this here

If mods want to move or close this....

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Seal team six lost 25 members last year when they were shot down over Afghanistan. Now FOX news is painting this member with a laser sight. FOX has compromised all integrity with this decision and butts need hauled in for hearings and jail time. Outrageous act of treason by FOX.

I personally have not read this book yet, but I have a great deal of faith that it was written in a way that absolutely maintains operational security. As you said, many such books have been written.

I can't believe any legitimate news organization made this decision.

I pray for this man and his family who have sacrificed more than most of us can even comprehend.
edit on 24-8-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Wow this is horrible...I bet they condemned Wikileaks and Bradley Manning for endangering people's lives in the same way. Why would they do this; what is accomplished? Disgusted...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Its all an absolute crock. As if sensors, managers and all that jazz would allow something so obvious to slip. in order to make a lie more believable your create a rukkas over something trivial todo with the lie. This takes to onus if the lies legtimacy.. As if murdochs flagship propoganda piece would reveal the details of this man unwillingly!

This is EXACTLY what is going down. You can't believe ANYTHING they say about ANYTHING. I doubt this guy was on that raid, they killed all of them "by accident" because dead men tell no tales. I sincerely doubt that the mythical Al CIAda have "called for his destruction" either, I'm sure CIA sock puppets made those posts, if they even exist.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I don't the SEAL should worry about a bunch of internet tough guys ranting on their forums. But the government must act to protect him from real threats. And Fox should be sued for giving out personal information away.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
This is EXACTLY what is going down. You can't believe ANYTHING they say about ANYTHING. I doubt this guy was on that raid, they killed all of them "by accident" because dead men tell no tales. I sincerely doubt that the mythical Al CIAda have "called for his destruction" either, I'm sure CIA sock puppets made those posts, if they even exist.

Who killed all of who by "accident?"
The members of seal team 6 that got Osama were not killed.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Two points -

- The author had to know that there was a chance he'd be outted when he wrote the book ... even using a pen name. So he shouldn't be totally surprised by this.

- Fox shouldn't have done that. Even if they could .. even if they had the info .. they should have held back.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Two points -

- The author had to know that there was a chance he'd be outted when he wrote the book ... even using a pen name. So he shouldn't be totally surprised by this.

- Fox shouldn't have done that. Even if they could .. even if they had the info .. they should have held back.

perhaps it's all a fake authorship that was intended to give veracity to the Bin Laden V Delta Team story...

after all, the word is that Øbama just played the bin Laden assassination as a trump card to further his standing as a 'decisive president' AND to further solidify his authority to authorize individual killings of persons-of-interest.
(particularly with the Drone Targeting of suspects)

further down-the-rabbit-hole is the idea that the author is a plant, an intentional 'target' to help the intell/counter-terrorism units to track cells in the USA which they had overlooked during the lead up to the 9-11 operation...

Perhaps.... they (nsa/dhs/cia/fbi) are Live-Testing new protocols and new raw intelligence gathering systems and the bait has been set-out as it were
thereby having Fox as a trusted co-conspirator in outing the Author which would normally have been declared off-limits as to National Security or just plain Strategic information
edit on 26-8-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This whole book is no surprise and actually funded by the government. They make it look like this seal went rogue and revealed secrets but those secret only adds weight to the flimsy official story surrounding Bin laden's alleged murder.

Now you have al qaeda popping its well funded head throwing out their threats that only and always have benefited the American Israeli agendas.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

In the spirit of your collective posts...I would have to conclude that one, or both, of you are throwing a curve into the proceedings by making your claims.

I can only conclude...using your reasoning...that one or both of you don't actually exist, or that you are actually Al CIAda agents - or CIA marionettes (one up from a sock puppet?)...and that your posts on ATS don't exist either.

Actually, I am sitting here (but maybe not...could be just part of my imaginery world inside of the matrix), and typing on a non-existent computer (or, the computer is real, but it is not really me...just a CIA operative simply mimicking an actual real ATS member).

Anyway....

On topic, FOX News should be ashamed of themselves for taking this step, and releasing the name of this man. If he should come to any harm as a result of this scandalous action...I hope he (if is he still alive) and his family sue them for all they are worth.

The news media seems to have lost their collective common sense. This kind of careless release of identifying information, when it can put someone in harm's way, was wrong when Wikileaks did it - and it is wrong now that Fox has done it.
edit on 26-8-2012 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Amid growing criticism for outing Navy SEAL "Mark Owen," Fox News offers up this jaw-dropping pronouncement...

“Once you write a book, anonymously or not, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.”
-John Moody, Executive Vice President & Executive Editor FOX News

John Moody

Thursday morning, the network published an article by Justin Fishel that, citing “multiple sources,” identifies the author (who goes by pseudonym “Mark Owen“) to be a 36-year-old recently retired Navy SEAL from Alaska who was “one of the first men through the door” of Osama bin Laden‘s Pakistan compound the night of that fateful raid.

Justin Fishel

Fishel’s publishing of the SEAL’s name is especially interesting given that last year, he reported that SEAL Team 6′s members wanted to protect their identities out of concern for their safety. “There has been a consistent and effective effort to protect the identity of those that participated in the raid and I think that that has to continue,” Fishel quoted then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates. In that same article last year, Fishel also condemned the Obama administration for leaking key information about the raid to the press: “Rather than keeping the details secret, intelligence officials and senior administration officials briefed members of the press. It quickly leaked out that the mission was performed by 24 members of the elite and classified counterterrorism SEAL squadron, known as SEAL team 6.”

No word yet on whether the government will take legal action...

Just putting a few names with faces over at Fox...in the interest of making sure the welcome committee at Gitmo recognizes their prospective guests.

Fox News outs member...
Fox News Jaw Dropping Response...
Moody and Fox's political marching orders

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
There are more than enough bash Fox threads out there. So I won't go into that.

However, Jihadist websites that target Seals aren't appreciated by a certain member of the cyber community.

Guess Who!

ʇuıɐs ʞɔopuooq™ ‏@th3j35t3r
'http://alfidaa.org ' & 'http://al-fidaa.org ' - TANGOS DOWN - For calling for hit on a SEAL via web as per openchannel.nbcnews.com... … #SEALs

Get'em J!

edit on 26-8-2012 by pwndnewb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Geez, Louise. I had no idea there were so many people who actually believed the OBL story. Heh.

If you all can't see this as a small propaganda piece to help solidify the story... well.. IDK what to do for ya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join