It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion is a touchy subject..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Now I just wanted to put this as objectively as possible.

Here are some numbers. AFCARS Report Roughly 400k kids in the system

That doesn't include this...

One out of every 45 children – some 1.6 million – in the United States is homeless, according to a report released Tuesday by the National Center on Family Homelessness. The majority of the children are under age 7.

Source

Also there is some more stats...

Adoption Statistics Of the estimated 281,000 children who exited foster care during FY 2003, 18 percent had been in care less than 1 month, 32 percent had been in care for 1 to 11 months, 20 percent had been in care for 12 to 23 months, 11 percent had been in care for 24 to 35 months, 10 percent had been in care for 36 to 59 months, and 9 percent had been in care for 5 or more years. For FY 2005 514,000 children were served by the foster care system nationally. 52,000 were adopted. And an additional 115,000 were waiting for adoption. It costs taxpayers $30,000 to $100,000 per year to keep a child in foster care. It costs taxpayers only $2,400 to $7,200 per/year (in government subsidies) if a family adopts a child from foster care (through the age of 18)

Source

So there are a lot of costs. Economically, just for fosterhome the taxpayer is paying between 12,000,000,000$ and 40,000,000,000$ Annually ...

But that does not even count in the humain aspect. 1.6 million homeless kids.

So this is the stance of pro-life advocates -
No abortions, Don't raise my taxes, Don't ask me to help, Don't ask me to adopt.

I think that Pro-life advocates should at least help, adopt some kids

ETA I know that not all pro-life advocates feel that way... some do or already have adopted!!!!
edit on 24-8-2012 by KingAtlas because: ETA

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think my stance on abortion generally mirrors what my Dad used to say about it. My head and my heart don't agree. It is a really touchy subject and while I've given great consideration to both sides of the argument, I just can't make up my mind.

I will say that I think it rather pathetic to be anti abortion and also against funding children who need help. I've seen that frequently and it's disgusting. I also think those that denounce birth control also whine about abortion.

If I could wave a magic wand I would give every man and woman an on/off button for their respective reproductive organs. Both would have to be in the ON position for a pregnancy to occur. I've got all the plans drawn up, just not quite sure where to put the switch.

edit on 24-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
So we should abort fetuses just so they won't go homeless.

Got it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Some come from a financial point of view.

I come from a perspective of "the human being inside the woman has a 'right' to experience life" just like you and I do. If you don't want to be pregnant, don't have sex or use what's available to stop it happening. God, are people that backward they can't work out what causes pregnancy or how to prevent it?????

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
My stance on abortion is; It isn't my business what you do with your body, as thus, it most definitely isn't the Federal Governments business what you do with your body.

Live your life according to your moral standards and let everyone else do the same, in their own perspective. You don't have to agree with what they're doing, and by all means let your voice be heard in disagreement, but do not put laws upon others just because they do not believe what you believe.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Sorry King but I just spent a few hours reading and posting on a recent thread started by Beezer on the prolife/prochoice issue. It was, excuse me, is a long and excellent thread so I believe I will be harkening back to that thread rather than joining this one any more than this.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by QUANTUMGR4V17Y

Live your life according to your moral standards and let everyone else do the same, in their own perspective. You don't have to agree with what they're doing, and by all means let your voice be heard in disagreement, but do not put laws upon others just because they do not believe what you believe.

I totally get where you're coming from but consider for a moment the people who do consider abortion to be murder. To them the suggestion of live and let live (probably poor choice of words) would be akin (also poor choice lol) to suggesting that murdering an adult have no restrictions.

I think one of the biggest problems with this issue is that both sides tend to vilify the other though they are both acting on some very strong moral beliefs and for what they consider the greater good. I don't think either side is actively trying to harm anyone, both are trying to do the opposite but we lose that in the flame wars that come up.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

anybody that gets knocked up because they dont know how to use birth control is stupid, plain and simple. i wont say the same about those that are raped, but even those babys are still people, so i think when deciding you have to think from the babys perspective(which is easy, anything splitting cells is trying to become an organism which idiacates it wants to live) i think modern medicine is a double edge sword though, back before we had doc and hospitals any baby that didnt have proper health or people that cared would die. now there are more kids that we can take care of and some of those are living a life plauged by dieses and deformity. i guess im saying we need to remember were we came from(strong survive) without forgetting the values that make us human.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Abortion is a touchy issue, but in my world, not for the same reasons most would posture with.

I find it odd that so many will discuss abortion as either pro or con, but it is much more simple than most make it out to be, even though both sides can make legitimate argument over many legitimate social issues.

In my opinion, those that seek to protect the sanctity of life are correct to do so, but the opposition always embraces as a talking point are the rights of a woman to choose and her health and safety. Those that seek to protect the unborn child and allow it to be born are acting in a moral way and it can be seen by everyone that this morality is missing from the opposition.

The opposition who seeks to have a right to kill the unborn does not emphasize the ability to end life as a talking point, but always emphasizes the woman's rights to choose.

Now the one main item that seldom if ever gets the attention it should, is that while those that seek to spare the life of the unborn are openly transparent in their quest, those that seek to have the right to murder the unborn child seldom ever mentions that one group is in opposition to such practice based on morality while those that seek to kill the unborn child are in fact only motivated by the millions of dollars that such abortion clinics make each month.

With billions of dollars at stake, one side fights for the human life, the opposition fights for the right to kill the unborn as a system of wholesale racial genocide so as to make their corporate donors and themselves rich in the process by the legislation of wholesale genocide for profit.

It is the money, the many corrupt politicians that support the right to kill the unborn, based not on any ethical issues or moral standing, but on the sole basis that it makes millions for those in the abortion industry and not until we begin to talk about the money, the bribes and the corruption that such money can effect, not until we see that one side fights for what is right for a human life while the other fights for complete control over death to ensure billions in profits and to ensure a steady rate of return.

Abortion is a touchy issue, but if we ever saw those that seek to spare the unborn in the true sense with those who seek to kill the unborn, we would see that money and a greed, is all based on organized corruption and a symbiotic type of relationship of mutual corruption and complicity that undermines our politicians.

I hope my concern for more focus on the corruption and the money is where we could shine more light on darkness and I see that as a good thing if we see that while one side fights for human life, the other supports death for profit and that should scare you more than the empty arguments that so many spend their time arguing when discussing abortion and where one stands on the subject.

I know there are many views that come into play, but if you do not discuss the greed and money associated as the motivation of the politicians, then we will never ever get anywhere while those that support abortion, keep on making their millions while reducing the populations number while conducting racial genocide.

When money is involved, there is not a single politician that supports abortion that does not take abortion lobby money, so lets see the problem at its core, for in my opinion, money, greed and corruption is why we have abortion clinics, so if you cant see the abortion industry as a death industry where money is priority one, then I guess nothing will help you to see beyond the ignorant pro or con, left or right, red or blue stupidity that passes for political madness discussion on the touchy subject of abortion.

There is so much we could discuss and yet, the corruption and greed always seems to be left out of the argument. This has to change or else we will never address what truly is causing our differences in the first place.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Men and women are going to do what their most basic cells tell them to, reproduce. So until everyone in this country is willing to open their wallets and their homes to these unwanted babies, it is not your business what a woman does with her body. I cannot imagine the desparation one must be in to make that choice. If there are women who use abortion for birth control, they are not mentally responsible anyway and the doctor should address that.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think until a person is actually put into that position of having to make that decision they will never understand what is at the heart of the whole debate. Until you have to do that, it is all just theorizing on what someone "should" do, what is "right" in theory.

I was in that position once, I made my choice, I know how hard it is, and it is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. I cannot take a side on this issue because I could never look another woman in the eyes and tell her what choice she should make when I have not walked a mile in her shoes.

Women make the best decision they can at that current moment in their lives, based on their own ability or lack of ability to handle the situation. It is not a decision most take lightly, they do the best they can, I think. At least, I know for me and my friends who have been in that position, that is exactly what we did, I am not trying to speak for all women here. Some chose to keep the baby, some chose to abort. I know why they made the decisions they made, I could never, knowing what I know of them judge them for it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
My thoughts on the abortion issue are here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, its a touchy subject. Everyone is entitled to their personal opinion on it, but for me, it boils down to this: the fact that people are discussing whether or not women should have the right to their own bodies is sexist, presumptuous and insane.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well I think sensitivity is important in this area.

I did not write this thread to denounce Pro-life advocation

I wrote to to put some numbers there.

One person said "We should abort fetus' because they will be homeless. right got it" sarcasm obviously.
I didn't say that we should abort fetus', what I meant was

WHY DOES THE SANCTITY OF LIFE END AFTER CHILDBIRTH!

If you are pro-life.... why don't you care what happens to these kids, only that they are born.
Pro-life should extend further than an anti-abortion stance.
There are over 300 million people in the US.
A conservative number would be a 40% pro-life stance.
That gives us 120 million people.
Now say we have 120 Mill, we will say to be very conservative, that half are under 30
That gives us 60 million
So with those number...only 15% would have to adopt to get all those kids in the system out.

That is what I am saying.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
the solution is easy ! family and morality !!!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

If they will leave their kids or get an abortion why have intercourse? Why do they feel the need to have intercourse when knowing the risks and knowing they can't support a child?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Now I just wanted to put this as objectively as possible.

You can't eliminate objectivity from the argument, because people will pretty much always have an emotional or religious response to it. There's no way to be rational about it with some people. After all these are people who believe a supernatural Grandpa in the Sky is telling them what to do. Abortion is legal at the moment, but laws can change. If enough of these people get enough votes, back it goes. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, though.

The worse thing about the whole argument in my opinion is that it's boring as hell. It's always the same old crap, repeated over and over again. People presenting opinion as fact. People droning on about semantics. Definitions. Statistics. Hair-splitting. Blah blah blah!

So pointless.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
We've got more than enough existing abortion debate threads. Please contribute in one of them Like this thread rather than cluttering the board with yet another battle of repetitiveness.

THREAD CLOSED

top topics

join