It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions raised after SEAL's identity revealed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's interesting that others find even a remote connection between those....because I entirely miss that. I don't even see a passing comparison.

It would be a bad idea for me to come right out and write a book about the details of my simple little deployment with a port security mission in a friendly nation.

Why? Because it would include information about our operations that are expressed by virtue of there being a book about it.

We've also had several incidents with a moderate media profile occur in the area, and we have all been able to piece together the bits and pieces that you'll never hear in the media. Why? Because those details involve things we don't want other countries knowing about. When bad things happen to our stuff, it's cautious to not tell the world exactly how they may be able to accomplish the same thing.

His book likely contains information regarding ATFP measures and some elements of how operations proceed from conception to execution - information that, if I were concerned about having SEALs breach my compound - I would be scouring for clues as to how I can make their job more difficult.

Much like how, in SERE, you're taught to dig or otherwise make a display of messing around with poisonous plants when evading a tracking team. That tracking team, more than likely, knows what is what in the environment, and is going to slow down when they see that you're messing around with the poisonous stuff. They'd rather not hit a poisoned trap. ... Speaking of traps - place objects in suspicious ways - they're going to slow down when they hit that and make sure they're not about to get the Home Alone treatment by blundering past.

That's the same concept, only applied to tracking teams instead of SEAL teams (and it's not classified or OPSEC information in the least, since it's both common knowledge and there isn't much that can be done to counter the strategies other than, as a tracking team, taking the gamble that everything is a bluff).

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

If he wants to make an extra living out of publicly going through the gory details of how he killed someone he has to expect to have his anonymity taken away. At the end of the day so what if we know who he is? Does anyone actually care, even Bin Laden inspired radicals? I doubt it.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

The book is to spin more BS on top of the already BS; OBL died in Dec of 2001 and all seals involved in the botched up job in Pakistan (that had nothing to do with OBL but was a set up) were killed in a helicopter incident in Afghanistan.

don't be so damn gulliable people

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wait lol, You mean the same Seal team that was supposedly killed in A-stan only weeks later? This is funny how this supposed seal team six member comes out of the wood work just after the entire SF community got together and told Obama to shut the hell up when he shoots his mouth off about OPSEC or the leaks coming from the White House.

A Seal Team Six member would never release any info that would get his Brothers hurt!!!!!! You wont even know their names unless they have been retired for many years. This is more Obama BS!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I believe that the vast majority of secrets, kept by governments and intelligence agencies, are kept to prevent embarassment on the part of governments and ministers, rather than to protect national security. Bradley Manning being locked up for making certain people and organisations in Washington look like the utter scum they are, for instance, should have been given a medal and a permanent seat on the Balls of Steel comittee. Nothing he ever leaked killed anyone, due to his own and Wikileaks careful treatment of potentially delicate intel.

However, in this scenario the author of this book, had every right to tell his story from behind a veil of anonymity. For a start this fellow is a SEAL. That means that the chap has been all over the world, and in most places he has ended up, he has placed at least one boot, firmly against the colons of some of the most lethal, dangerous, and remorseless organisations on this planet. He has served his country, and its security and safety, at the very highest level. That puts him, his family, his friends, neighbors, pets, and even any headlice he might have accumulated, in serious danger, should his identity become common knowledge.

In all fairness, the fellow himself must have been careless or stupid somewhere along the line, to even reveal his identity to his publishers and agents. Frankly speaking, the only people who ought to know who he is in real life, ought to be his wife (if he has one) and his biological relations, and his former commanders. For anyone else, it should have been impossible to find out. There must be something seriously backwards in a country where a Spec-ops mans cover can be blown, while at the same time a man can rot in jail for revealing double dealing on the part of the government.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Ok... now FOX news, who consistantly asserts that Bradley Manning and Wikileaks endangers the lives of our soldiers, they just come right out and tell everybody where one of our soldiers lives, his name, and his pictures. Not only that but he just happens to be one of the soldiers WHO KILLED BIN LADEN.

I say they should be thrown in solitary confinement right next to Bradley Manning. Either that or maybe release Bradley Manning as a trade off.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Oh, and here's just one article from FOX about how evil it is to reveal info on any soldiers. FOX loves reporting on stories that claim Wikileaks kills soldiers.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Cuervo because: coffee...

I don't see how you can call Wrabbit out for his post following yours as you are the one, by the nature of your above post, to draw/invite comparison and include wikileaks and Manning in your statements.

IMO, all of the MSM media sources are hypocritical mouthpieces who no longer practice ethical journalism as they aren't about reporting truths, but are about profit and their agendas.

You obviously are not a fan of Fox, which is fine and your right to develop and express your own opinions. But when you stifle honest discussion by saying that those honest thoughts aren't to be included, after you invited them into the conversation, then it is just a bash thread with no honest discussion.

Personally, I don't think that they should have released his true identity. I also don't think that he should have gone against policy to write a book that wasn't vetted about this alleged incident. I do say alleged, because as of yet I have not seen proof that this story is true. And by the way, even fiction written by persons that have connection to sensitive or classified info, that may have some small basis in fact, by law and agreement/oath have to be vetted.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Ok... now FOX news, who consistantly asserts that Bradley Manning and Wikileaks endangers the lives of our soldiers, they just come right out and tell everybody where one of our soldiers lives, his name, and his pictures. Not only that but he just happens to be one of the soldiers WHO KILLED BIN LADEN.

I say they should be thrown in solitary confinement right next to Bradley Manning. Either that or maybe release Bradley Manning as a trade off.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Oh, and here's just one article from FOX about how evil it is to reveal info on any soldiers. FOX loves reporting on stories that claim Wikileaks kills soldiers.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Cuervo because: coffee...

you're right..also, how about richard armitage (a W. bush white house consultant) for exposing valerie plame as being an undercover CIA operative, putting other agents and informants in the field throughout the world in harms way.
why the military think that the republicans are on their side is beyond me

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by Cuervo

Irresponsible journalism... News organizations are nothing like they used to be. They want to be the first to report and than ask questions later. They've become tabloid news, and are always looking for the shocking and entertaining news.

Gone are the days when news organizations would investigate government criminal activity, and report real news and leave the celebrity gossip news to magazines and tabloids.

news organizations plural ?????...CNN and MSNBC didn't reveal his name, only FOX did.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

This book is propaganda and is a hoax being played out by the White House. There is no way in the world that the publisher of this book wouldn't have ensured that the information was declassified and that they were authorized to print it. They would also spend a good amount of time confirming that the information is accurate considering that it deals with military operations. The only way that process doesn't happen is if the book is published as a work of fiction, but my guess is that it isn't because of the title.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What are the chances this is all a setup to try and find sleeper cells in the states? Think about it. Soldier comes out with a book, Media discloses name and address, Gov. waits to see if sleeper cell takes the bait...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by buster2010
The guy was an idiot for thinking his name would never be revealed anyway. He just better hope he can stay out of jail for writing this book. Because he didn't did not get his manuscript approved, as required, by the Pentagon, the White House or the CIA.

That's not the point. Don't you see the hypocrisy? FOX news is a cheerleader against Wikileaks and Bradley Manning, saying they endanger the lives of our soldiers yet they are the first one to publicly reveal the private details of one of the dudes who killed Osama.

The only hypocrisy you see here is in your mind because they are in no way similar. Manning didn't try to make a profit off the secrets he released while this guy is trying to make a profit. And this guy is endangering our soldiers as well nice to see how you chose to overlook that part.

You still think this is about his book. It's not. This is about FOX news revealing a soldier's name and location. Forget his book and focus on that. This thread is about FOX, not his book.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pwndnewb

I don't see how you can call Wrabbit out for his post following yours as you are the one, by the nature of your above post, to draw/invite comparison and include wikileaks and Manning in your statements.

I don't see how I "called him out" on it. His first impression was that I was comparing Mark Owens' book to Wikileaks. I was not. I'm comparing FOX's lack of discretion to Wikileaks. Wrabbit thought I was attacking the book when I was defending the author.

Given the first few replies, he definitely wasn't the only one who didn't catch my drift so I'll take some credit for the confusion. But "called him out"? Never! He's one of my favorite two conservatives on ATS (hint: the other one is a rabbit, too).

So the gist of my thread is supposed to be: Book = Good. Author = Good. FOX's Actions = Bad. Wikileaks Supposed Damage To Soldiers = No Worse Than FOX's Damage To Soldiers.

I could have gotten a better article that didn't also discus the controversy of his book and instead just focused on the FOX issue but it was the only one I could find from a MSM source.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I don't mean to be rude, but I think it is you that doesn't get the point. Our media is biased and directed in their reporting. You are giving them waaaay too much credit. This should not surprise you at all, and if it does you haven't been paying attention.

Of course they are hypocrits. This isn't new. What did you expect? They are all F'ing idiots.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
FOX NEWS - - will take your money.

If anyone thinks FOX NEWS is about anything by making money - - they're delusional.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The hypocrisy is obvious. Bradley manning, condemned tirelessly by Fox news, is being accused of putting soldiers lives in danger by revealing their identities. The documentary by former Seals, touted by the likes of Fox news ,expresses outrage over Obamas suposed leaks leading up to the Osama killing thereby putting soldiers lives in jeopardy.

Then Fox news reveals the name of a man who explicity siad he didnt want it revealed to keep himself and his family safe. And you are pretending you dont see the hypocrisy? Who cares if the people involved are alike or if thier supposed indiscretions are any more or less harmful? The argument made by Fox is the safety of those involved or related to them and then they reveal his identity because they dont agree with what he did.

Its glaringly obvious that they could give a high hoot about anyones safety and only use these indiscretions to incite hatred and anger as a way to punish those they disagree with. They have no problem putting someone elses life in danger as long as they think they deserve it, apparently.
edit on 25-8-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
FOX NEWS - - will take your money.

If anyone thinks FOX NEWS is about anything by making money - - they're delusional.

I hope to God you don't believe they are the only ones like that, that would be a huge injustice.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

That doesnt mean CNN or MSNBC wouldnt have done it too.

This is coming from someone who LOATHES Fox News. Just defending the poster for pointing out that most "journalist" have no scruples anymore.
edit on 25-8-2012 by nunya13 because: Typos

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pwndnewb

The point is that this thread isnt about whether wikileaks or Manning were right or wrong but whether or not fox is hypocritical for revealing this man's name after repeatedly condemning wikileaks anf Manning for revealing the identities of soldiers who wish to remain secret.

To put it more simply, it's about fox's supposed hypocrisy, not wikileaks or mannings indiscretions.
edit on 25-8-2012 by nunya13 because: Typos....stupid ipad

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Thanks for the perspectives on this. I'd agree with you about his book possibly containing sensitive information and I'm really back and forth here..since we're still debating a theory without a book to hold and see. What I just can't quite get past though is how the Government will allow it to ever see the hands of a consumer if it actually is compromising classified/sensitive information.... They were kind the last time this happened, by Government standards...

US defence officials move to block spy book

I don't pretend that they'd have to be that nice in how they handle it. Especially as things have changed since that book release was attempted and it was already in print and production. I imagine these days they could just as easily slap a DHS sticker on everything and seize it outright if it says things deemed too sensitive?

I guess we'll have all our mysteries solved shortly when it hits shelves. I'll certainly be getting a copy or perhaps unabridged audio version to listen while I'm working. I can't wait after all the hype.....I just hope that hasn't been the whole point in a clever P.R. campaign.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I generally like Fox ... but wow.

I hope they get sued for everything they are worth, if they can even be sued. The pure stupidity.
edit on 25-8-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join