It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I remember the day's when Remote Desktop/Registry and error reporting service was enabled by Default, first thing I did was disable those. I've tried Linux and Ubuntu but (for me) they just dont cut the mustard.. Microsoft's great has long as you know how to get rid of everthing 'err' Microsoft and use the basic OS..Just go to Control panel>Administrative tools>Services and disable everything you dont need..

I dont use Internet Explorer or Google nowaday's and have'nt had a hitch in two years..

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Windows 8 is garbage anyway... Anyone who has ever used it (beta anyhow) will tell you this...

Windows 7 isn't that old.. It functions all but flawlessly, and it's beautiful.... why would I ever need to switch to Windblows 8 (thank you for anyone who got that)?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Windows 8 is garbage anyway... Anyone who has ever used it (beta anyhow) will tell you this...

Windows 7 isn't that old.. It functions all but flawlessly, and it's beautiful.... why would I ever need to switch to Windblows 8 (thank you for anyone who got that)?

Amen.

I found a picture from your sniper kitties younger years:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Don't use any computer older than 2003. They got into bed with the BIOS chip maker and now can disable your motherboard via software.

The older computers don't have that hardware disable in the BIOS chip. ANYONE using a new computer and Windows or Apple.....isn't worried about their own information security/privacy.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

L
L

and that's why i always get my windows install cd/dvd's
with all the snitchware stripped out.

from those nice people in sweden?D

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I dont really want to rain on anyones beliefs - but - and its a big but! - the whole reason personal computers even exist is to get you to provide inteligence to two massive server farms - and - since the Y2K bug thingy - you have been plugged in to them - so if your concerned about anything you are doing on line - then dont do it. this is the best black mailing machine ever known to man. you never lie to your comp u ter. and just about everything you do is done through it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Microsoft by default drops support for the OSes after a finite period of time. Some people don't want to run an unsupported OS so that forces them to upgrade. These are the support dates for Windows 7:

windows.microsoft.com...
End of mainstream support January 12, 2015
End of extended support January 14, 2020

I would probably give Ubuntu another valiant effort before switching to Windows 8, but I had too many applications I couldn't find Linux replacements for last time I tried it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
Switch to Linux and enjoy true "free" software. It's fantastic.

Untill you try to install call of duty and cant and get bored with typing apt get sudo etcwhile using firefox to find ways to install google chrome while looking for other things to do with your OS.

I use backtrack but sadly windows is the way to go unless you believe beta is still king. (must be older to understand)
edit on 25-8-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Me think Linux (Ubuntu) is the way to go when your concern is security - nothing gets in unless you install it yourself and like u said - FREE - with more amazing apps.

Of course it's not for the average guy/girl since you need to know the lingo used by Linux - to really take full advantage of it.

jm2c

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Id recommend going linux or PC-BSD for an OS.
Theres no "learning linux" or any hoopla. Most OS's, from a viewable standpoint are extremely similiar and very easy to learn your way around. Of course under the hood they are vastly different, and their command prompt syntax's are different, but you dont need to learn how to use the command prompt to use an OS as a typical user.

If you dont want to entirely give up windows, you can download VMware, and use a virtual machine of linux or pc-bsd. It's like having two seperate operating systems.

The process for doing this is very easy and you could easily google a simple guide for setting this up.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Maybe I'm a little odd, but I don't really care if MS knows I installed WoW, or any other program, for that matter. Even things like uTorrent shouldn't be a big deal if they are legally obtained. It would be the monitoring of the content itself that would be an issue. Everybody wants their O/S to be as efficient as possible, and this is just a way to have that happen. Because I can guarantee, that I don't have the same setup as anybody else on this forum. And go ahead and switch to Linux. I use it in multiple environments daily. It's awesome until you can't find the right drivers.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

Me think Linux (Ubuntu) is the way to go when your concern is security - nothing gets in unless you install it yourself and like u said - FREE - with more amazing apps.

Of course it's not for the average guy/girl since you need to know the lingo used by Linux - to really take full advantage of it.

jm2c

The nice things about Linux is you get rid of the junk you don't need and you install what you do need.

Plus you don't need a fancy antivirus that bogs down you system speed and linux can be put on older computers instead of junking a good computer because its not fast enough for the latest and greatest windows.

The computer i am on can not take anything newer then XP but works fine with the latest Linux Mint 13.(i am duel boot)

Unless i buy a new computer i will have nothing to do with windows 7 or 8 and then only because i will duel boot linux on it with a extra hard drive. as it is i will not do banking business on any computer with windows to the point i have a pen drive linux mint just to protect me if i have to do banking on a window computer.
www.pendrivelinux.com...

With pen drive linux and the new 125GB flash drives you can carry a complete copy of your linux computer on your key chain and have it with you all the time. all you have to do is plug it into any computer and it becomes your personal computer.

Yes there is a learning curve for Linux but you don't have to worry about Microsoft spying on you.(or an one else)

or selling you over a over priced OS.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

True unless you are a hard core gamer. And if you are then Linux is useless simply because it can't run DX11.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

An enormous amount of programs and hardware does not support Linux. These programs and hardware have no real alternative.
edit on 25/8/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Yes you can turn it off.. see last lines of my op for how

Have you actually tried to turn it off? The article also says,

Furthermore, SmartScreen is not easy to disable, and Windows will periodically warn users to re-enable it should they attempt to disable it.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

True unless you are a hard core gamer. And if you are then Linux is useless simply because it can't run DX11.

It's o.k... Valve is working on the problem. Valve and many other devs hates Windows 8. Valve is gearing up to make all Steam games work on Linux.

www.play.tm...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Here is officially how to turn this service off.

www.eightforums.com...
edit on 26-8-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: correction

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It appears that your thread was merely moved.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
yeah i see that now.. the mods didn't mark it as moved so i had no idea. Just saw the post and corrected the post above.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by buster2010

It's o.k... Valve is working on the problem. Valve and many other devs hates Windows 8. Valve is gearing up to make all Steam games work on Linux.

www.play.tm...

Only games made by steam using the source engine will be ported to linux. But all games that are on steam can't be ported simply because of DX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join