It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus painting restoration makes Christ look like a hairy monkey.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Jesus painting restoration makes Christ look like a hairy monkey.

www.mirror.co.uk

Church officials have gone ape after a pensioner tried to restore a faded painting and ended up making Jesus Christ look like a monkey.

80-year-old Celia Gimenez decided to touch up the worn fresco of Christ wearing a crown of thorns at her church in Borja, Spain.

But the 19th-century painting of Christ has now been left disfigured and church officials are pondering what to do with it.

A town official said no-one realised how badly botched the painting was until the well-meaning volunteer rang town hall to say what she had done.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.the globeandmail.com
news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I laughed so hard when I first saw this. Not because it's a priceless painting that was ruined, but just the way it looks. Apparently it's ruined for good now if they are unable to remove the oil paint she used. I'm not an artist, so does anybody here know if it is possible to remove oil paint from something this old without completely damaging it?

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Personally, I find that very offensive to the monkeys.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I laughed a lot harder at this.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
saw that painting .. they shouldnt have tried to restore it
now its one ugly drawing that doesnt make sens
this restoration made far worst then the actual white paint that was throw

good for the trash now

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well, if god made us in his image, and fossil record suggests common ape like ancestor, and Jesus is son of god......maybe she got it right and this is the most accurate representation of Jesus EVER.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I found this in my grilled cheese. I think I'm going to try and sell it on ebay.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
HAHA I would bid on it.

It is sort of sad that a piece of art has been forever lost, but who is to blame? Why was no overseeing the restoration?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
i find it hard to believe someone that bad at painting was left alone to restore a priceless piece of art. very difficult to believe.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Star and flag from me.

This story has been all over the UK news these past few days and has had me laughing my ass off. It's like something off Father Ted. Old lady takes it on herself to improve a fresco with no experience whatsoever and the paints we used back in high school.

It isn't like some valuable work of a Master has been lost, it was only a basic copy of another work by someone who wasn't a legend anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
lmao. I actually thought that article was a joke. I searched it, and got many results. This one seemed a bit interesting.

The World's worst art restoration or 'street art by seniors'?

A grandmother's less-than-artistic attempt to restore a century-old church fresco has turned into an unlikely art sensation, with [color=D4FFF5]thousands of people signing an online petition to save her questionable handiwork.

News of the disfiguring prompted Twitter users to post parodies online, inserting Ms Gimenez's version of the fresco into other art works, including Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
I laughed a lot harder at this.

Still laughing..

ETA: Didn't Mr Bean have a moment like this?

edit on 24-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by idmonster
Well, if god made us in his image, and fossil record suggests common ape like ancestor, and Jesus is son of god......maybe she got it right and this is the most accurate representation of Jesus EVER.

I have a feeling Jesus would have loved it and laughed his ass of from it. Humans play around with dogma. I have a feeling Jesus could not care less about material things and ego worship of him.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Please contribute your comments to the existing thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join