It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Isaac and the RNC... have we forgotten about all the oil sitting on the bottom of the Gulf?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As we all watch and listen to the political talking heads go on about the upcoming RNC in Tampa, FL, and if/how the approach of Isaac will affect it, I can't help but wonder...

Will Isaac be the storm that brings all the oil from Deepwater Horizon back to the surface and our minds?

It was barely over 2 years since the DH spill, and yet we all seem to have completely forgotten about it, much to BP's joy.
And yet, here comes a storm that can undo all of Corexit's work in one fell swoop and bring the oil spill back in all of it's tar-filled glory.

I'll be sitting here in Pensacola, FL, unless we are ordered to evacuate, and if I see the first tarball or slick wash up on the beaches here, you can bet I will take pictures and post here, and everywhere else all over the Internet.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Dreine because: No initial post... dur.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A few links for the sake of refreshing memories...

Deepwater Horizon oil spill

Gulf Spill oil pictures

Economic Impact of Deepwater Horizon

Corexit

edit on 24-8-2012 by Dreine because: addtl link

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

There could be a witches brew of unknown bio hazards in the gulf that would be brought ashore, creating a region wide miasma.

Could be. I saw a long You Tube video about possible hazards.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i haven't forgot...i have been to new orleans before the spill, but i won't be going down there anytime soon. i also check where seafood has originated from, before i buy it in a store, or a restaurant. if it comes from the gulf, i don't buy it, period.....and those commercials...wow...'COME SWIM IN OUR PETRO-CHEMICAL WATERS"..."COME EAT OUR CONTAMINATED SEAFOOD"...."ENJOY YOUR VACATION WITH US"...sponsored by BP

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Many locals here have forgotten. The BP stations are usually busy.
My wife and I have not forgotten. We haven't been to a BP station since the spill, and we never will again (barring an extreme emergency). What makes us both furious is just how easily... how CHEAPLY... our federal and local governments let BP get away with all of this, and now they are gone and say the oil is cleaned up?

Like hell it is. It's just resting there on the bottom of sea, clumped up together to sink thanks to Corexit... out of sight, out of mind.

I wonder if BP is worried about Isaac at all? They shouldn't be... I mean, after all they had the world watching them spew millions of barrells of oil into the Gulf of Mexico and they still made record profits. No reason for them to be worried about a new 'spill' or incident. They'll just pay the right politicians and go away laughing, again.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I think about things like this all the time. Why are people, especially our leaders, so wrapped up in ideological battles and all the craziness that floods our media everyday, when there are hundreds of other things actually endangering the lives of millions of people around this world. Humans have got their priorities all wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I dont think the wind storm will pull it up if its even still there. Someone could of vaccumed the sea floor to MAKE A PROFIT TO FOOT THE CLEAN UP BILL (if possible) or the undersea currents moved it?
edit on 8/24/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm in Southwest Florida, and I live a couple of miles from the beach. I would have liked to be able to go surfing, but I am probably going to forego that plan for the same reason you brought up in this thread. I will be going down to the beach to check out the sand after the storm though. I'm not sure whether I should hope some of that gunk washes up or not.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wagnificent

Part of me really hopes that the oil is indeed gone... naively, but still hoping.

The other part of me knows that's not the case. Now as to whether or not the storm will bring any of the oil up or if it will stay on the ocean floor... I can't wager a guess with any sort of confidence either way.

The 'justice' must be served part of me wants to see it brought up for the world to see and watch BP squirm as they try to explain/pay it away. Perhaps it is better if the oil stays where it is for now... /shrug

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

Part of me really hopes that the oil is indeed gone... naively, but still hoping.

The other part of me knows that's not the case. Now as to whether or not the storm will bring any of the oil up or if it will stay on the ocean floor... I can't wager a guess with any sort of confidence either way.

The 'justice' must be served part of me wants to see it brought up for the world to see and watch BP squirm as they try to explain/pay it away. Perhaps it is better if the oil stays where it is for now... /shrug

Thats it blame BP who else was to blame some American company that was looking after the rig who was that again oh yes Deepwater Horizon operator Transocean and contractor Halliburton funny how you yanks like to shift the blame!!!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by Dreine

Thats it blame BP who else was to blame some American company that was looking after the rig who was that again oh yes Deepwater Horizon operator Transocean and contractor Halliburton funny how you yanks like to shift the blame!!!!!

You aren't seeing this the way I mean it. I could care less about WHO is to blame... Halliburton, BP, Transocean, hell, Disney if they had anything to do with it. American, British, Martian... whatever.

"you yanks". Sorry sir, not a yank. I'm from the South. And I could care less about what company is responsible, I only want to see the Gulf thrive and not choke on oil.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Sorry confederate (all covered now
) but you metioned BP as if they were the ONLY people to blame that was my point!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well...it was there, waiting to be stirred up.

www.nwitimes.com... e

Waves from Hurricane Isaac uncovered oil previously buried along Gulf Coast beaches, exposing crude that wasn't cleaned up after the BP spill in 2010.

Since Isaac made landfall more than a week ago, the water the storm has receded and tar balls and oil have been reported on shores in Alabama and Louisiana, where officials closed a 13-mile stretch of beach Tuesday.

BP said Wednesday some of that oil was from the spill, but said some of the crude may be from other sources, too.

"If there's something good about this storm it made it visible where we can clean it up," BP spokesman Ray Melick said.

But the Gulf is better than ever, right? Right!?

Come on down! Enjoy some mutated shrimp and diseased fish while you are here.

At least we can see the oil/tar...can't see the Corexit....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Gas is going to shoot up by the end of this year due to the delay, thats almost for sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It certainly will have an effect on this:

www.commondreams.org...

BP Showed 'Gross Negligence and Willful Misconduct': US Department of Justice

The US Justice Department charged oil company BP of "gross negligence and willful misconduct" in new court papers filed Friday, for the company's handling of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The filings were made public this week, revealing the DOJ will be taking a hard line with the company who will be on trial early next year.

A new court case will go to trial in New Orleans in January 2013. BP had previously reached a $7.8 billion settlement in March with victims of the spill, but the new DOJ charges would nearly quadruple those civil damages owed by BP, under the Clean Water Act, to $21 billion.

new topics

top topics

join