It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mother Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Thought this was very cool and want to share with you all.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Scientists have found a cosmic supermom. It's a galaxy that gives births to more stars in a day than ours does in a year. Astronomers used NASA's Chandra X-Ray telescope to spot this distant gigantic galaxy creating about 740 new stars a year. By comparison, our Milky Way galaxy spawns just about one new star each year.

Mother Galaxy

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Fri Aug 24 2012 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I wonder if its rate of STAR production and the Milky Way is related to its AGE? Interesting find OP
. Sometimes I wonder IF THE SOL SYSTEM WAS ONCE CLOSER TO THE GALACTIC CENTER
and if or when Star systems reach the outter limits of a galaxy is that SIGNAL for another phase to come.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Things like this amaze me to no end. i have so many questions on everything.
I'm a knowledge seeker, its not that i want to know it all. I need to know it all.
I truly feel like its my duty as man to learn everything. There is so much out there,
I wonder a lot about universal expansion.

I think that because its constantly expanding,
that at some point galaxy were much closer. Therefore interstellar travel was much easier.
Also adds to the fact that life does exist in many places in our universe.

I also wonder if the black hole is the end game so to speak. at some point in the universe, life cycle
I think all matter returns to the gravity well of the dead stars. once a super-critical mass is achieved the universe is reborn. As its said matter is never created nor destroyed.

Imho The universe is a living thing, it is all that is-and ever will be.
edit on 24-8-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I wonder if its rate of STAR production and the Milky Way is related to its AGE?

I believe its related to the density and heat of the galaxy. Hotter, denser galaxies will produce more, as the gravity draws matter together in massive, dense clouds, then packs them further into giant spheres. Eventually the heat and pressure become too much and fusion takes place and ignites the new star. So to answer your question, yes, i believe younger galaxies produce more stars faster.

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Interesting find OP
. Sometimes I wonder IF THE SOL SYSTEM WAS ONCE CLOSER TO THE GALACTIC CENTER
and if or when Star systems reach the outter limits of a galaxy is that SIGNAL for another phase to come.

All galaxies were once closer to the centre, as universal expansion pushes all galaxies further apart over time. Not sure what you mean about star systems reaching the other limits. Im fairly certain that while the universe expands, the galaxies themselves move inwards, their gravity forcing systems closer and closer together. Until they eventually are absorbed by the super massive black holes or quasars at the centre of most galaxies.
edit on 24-8-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Thanks nightbringr

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

How can the universe expand if there is no mass/energy driving it outward. Its a known fact that galaxies are moving away from each other, weather or not its the galaxies mass or dark matters mass causing it.
I'm certain you have heard of red/blue shift.

new topics

top topics

join