It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple People Reported Shot Near Empire State Building

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It's pretty sad that the shooter kills the guy he intended to shoot but the cops shoot him and 9 innocent people in the process... I know it's early and not all the details are known but good grief Charlie Brown... I thought cops were supposed to be the professionals? I thought they were supposed to be trained for just such a situation?

How are we supposed to have any faith or cling to any feeling of safety when the cops are shooting innocent people? Even if the reports are wrong and they only shot 1 innocent person then IMO that's 1 too many.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
How can we keep the guns out of the hands of the crazy people. I believe in our right to bear arms but people who do things like this put our rights in jeopardy. We need people to try to figure how to fix this without loosing our rights. This kind of stuff was taken care of in the past, maybe gun dealers would discourage people who were a little off from buying guns or something. Maybe fathers taught their sons of the responsibilities that gun ownership had. Now, everyone is just out to make money and doesn't feel responsible if they helped create something like this. I would feel bad if I sold someone a gun and the gun was used in a crime like this. I would feel bad if my kids or grandchildren did something like this because I would know that I had not taught them. If I ever sell one of my guns it will be to a sane responsible person or I would destroy them. If the person goes nuts ten years later, I can't prevent that. But I can try to keep guns out of the hands of these type of people if I notice something weird about them.

These violent Video games that kids grow up with nowadays can cause depersonalization with killing or hurting of others also. Constantly playing these games hardens ones perception of actually doing harm to others resulting from ones actions. It doesn't have to effect all the people but if it effects even five percent it has the ability to create a mess. Distorting even five percent of the population can cause an effect towards up to thirty percent of our society being affected. This needs to stop.

We can control this as a society if people take things upon themselves to deter these things. If someone is complaining about someone screwing them over and buying a gun, is that a hint of the future? Maybe telling this person that the gun might be cheaper in a week or two will give them time to settle down. People sometimes get angry and do things, that is why they used to have the three day waiting period. That only keeps sane people from doing things they would not normally do. It doesn't deter a person who is a little crazy because they have a real problem where they may not be able to settle down. I really do not know how to fix this problem, it will take the meeting of many rational gun owners minds to figure out a solution. The cooperation with the local authorities is critical to do something like this at a local level also. The policy would be nation wide but the local people should have a legal way to modify restrictions because it is they are the ones involved. At no time shall laws be passed to keep guns out of the hands of rational people. If a gun is taken away from someone for this it should be given to a sane relative to hold till the person gets better. Any crime of theft or rape committed with a gun should bring a severe sentence with hard labor.

I feel almost like I am acting like my father here, he was strict. I was using a 22 when my friends were using bb guns. I know there are other people out there like me, responsible owners with respect of the power of the weapons we own. I also think people who scare or intimidate others with guns should have their guns confiscated by the authorities but the guns should be given to someone responsible till the person learns respect. Make them take a class at a gun club and require a certificate from a member for the return of the firearm. There are a lot of local self regulations that could be enacted that will help us with keeping our right to bear arms. Teach our young the right way to own guns, safely and responsibly they are an asset to the people of our country. I don't want to loose my right to own a gun, events like this definitely put this right at risk. Get rid of the problems out there, don't pick on responsible gun owners. This action has to be innitiated by the responsible gun owners.

I understand that our right to bear arms is not there for hunting. It is there in case our government gets corrupt and we have to take action. Quit arguing and fix the government, the politicians have been led to believe the fox and coyote, the tricksters in our society. The devil hides his deceit in numbers, numbers that he can manipulate to fit his needs.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I think the point he was trying to make is that the US is fomenting war abroad and the MSM doesn't carry all that mass death, but rather paints a horrible picture of some lone person with a gun as the terrible tragedy that it isn't... in comparison. A drone probably killed x # of people with a hell fire missile last night. Wheres the horrific splashing of that across the news? Or here for that matter. Seems thats okay because its war or "sanctioned" by our Gov. Seems ATS is aboard with the media these days, regurgitating the latest approved tragedy like Pavlovs dog.

The latsest "gunman" story for our mill. What about all the "car-men" stories that happen all the time too? They are also intentional but hardly seem to garner the same attention because the media "spotlight" doesn't direct our "pet goat" dazzled attention there.

"CAR-MEN"

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I would refer you to the daily news.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

These violent Video games that kids grow up with nowadays can cause depersonalization with killing or hurting of others also. Constantly playing these games hardens ones perception of actually doing harm to others resulting from ones actions. It doesn't have to effect all the people but if it effects even five percent it has the ability to create a mess. Distorting even five percent of the population can cause an effect towards up to thirty percent of our society being affected. This needs to stop.

If we got rid of the video games, then everyone would blame movies. If we got rid of the movies, everyone would blame tv. Then comic books, the nightly news, etc etc.

I suppose there were no people shooting other people before all of these video games and movies, right? Oh wait..

It is not video games that make that 5%. It is other factors that get to that 5%. So tired of this argument.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Barack Obama once said that male politicians should not be making health care decisions for women. I agree, but to a greater extent. Should republicans be making decisions for democrats? Should democrats be making decisions for republicans? Should the rich make decisions for the poor? Should the poor make decisions for the rich?

When democrats make decisions for republicans the republicans don't like it and vise versa. In my opinion a lot of anger is roused when people try to be the authority in another persons life. Rich people don't know what it's like to be poor and poor people don't know what it's like to be rich. Why should people be making decisions and laws that pertain to people they know little about? Does your boss make decisions for you? Does he tell you what to do and when to do it? Sometimes this is not so bad if your boss is of like mind to you, but this is often not the case and the subjugated becomes angered when consistently following orders that he disagrees with. Iron fists cause anger.

Video games and violent media 'might' give some ideas as to how one could release their anger, but the bottle is filled with anger not from the media, but from the iron fist. It is not the video game that fills the bottle or pops the cork, it is the iron fist.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I live in NYC They have interrupted ALL TV Programs for LIVE Coverage of this SH*T I also Have my Scanners On and This is being BLOWN OUT of Proportion ! This is all and the other Shootings Is All about Taking away ALL GUNS ! AND Just NOW the TV REPORTER SAID that "NYPD JUST HAD A PRACTICE DRILL OF THIS SAME TYPE OF SITUATION Earlier this Morning" does that Ring a Bell ? Always a Rehearsal before the EVENT !

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well I'm pretty sure that with these statistics our government won't be getting legislation passed to take away everyone's guns.
We just have to teach people to be responsible with them and get them away from people who are a little disturbed in the head.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rottenrascals

I was just listening to the Yahoo! News live conference and I heard reporters asking if civilians had been shot by police, whomever was giving the conference (I came in at the last part of it so I don't know who it was) did the ole sidestep, "We cannot confirm nor deny" type of thing. So there are reports that innocents/the injured have been shot.

link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The first place to start is upholding existing laws that are already on the books, both federal and state. The first thing plea bargained down are the mandatory sentencing for use of a firearm in crime. Basically the perp is told "we'll knock off that 10 year mandatory for a plea of whatever and you'll do sentence of three and out in 1 with good behavior" The prosecutor bumps his record and looks good, the perp get the revolving door treatment and all are happy.

It should be use a gun in crime - serve the full time.

Start demanding that your local prosecutors, state and federal stop plea bargaining down weapons charges.

This was done several years back in Virginia? I'll find info again but it substantially reduced armed crime and the murder rate because most was being done by a small element of people.

link   
reply to post by jaytay

I tend to disagree here. I'm not saying that this type of activity doesn't happen, but during an election year would be bad timing for anti-gun activists since it would only deliver votes to pro-gun activists. Not too mention that supposedly police shot more than the actual gunman, this doesn't look good for the idea of keeping guns in the hands of only law enforcement and if it were rehearsed then why did the officers perform so poorly?

Edit: By delivering votes to pro-gun activists I mean Romney, the republican party is not terribly energized this election, but if they felt that gun control were a big issue then they might get out the vote for Romney. I feel that gun related shootings would do more for pro-gun activists than it would for anti-gun activists during this election.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I was just listening to the Yahoo! News live conference and I heard reporters asking if civilians had been shot by police, whomever was giving the conference (I came in at the last part of it so I don't know who it was) did the ole sidestep, "We cannot confirm nor deny" type of thing. So there are reports that innocents/the injured have been shot.

I'm pretty sure that's politician speak for "yea cops shot some people. Please don't call us on it."

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Maybe we should take guns away from cops.

Perhaps only cops who are remotely interested in marksmanship should have guns. Most cops are horrible shots, arent into guns, etc. We even have a cop who runs a gunshop, other cops ask hin why hes sellin guns to people when hes supposed to be fighting crime, not arming criminals............

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I didn't read all the thread so this maybe already posted.

There are live updates on this site

Does anyone know anything much of this guy or his previous employers, seeing as this was apparently the motive.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot
reply to post by jaytay

Not too mention that supposedly police shot more than the actual gunman, this doesn't look good for the idea of keeping guns in the hands of only law enforcement and if it were rehearsed then why did the officers perform so poorly?

This is the number one argument I have for keeping the second amendment fully intact. Civilians should never be barred for keeping the same type of arms that the authorities have. If people want to take guns away from the population, then they should equally be willing to take them away from the police and the National Guard.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I wish I had wrote down the mayor's exact words, however, at the very beginning of the conference he stated that some of the injured had been accidentally shot by police. Then, at the end as you said, he said he couldn't say yes or no. But in the first 30 seconds, he said yes.

link   
Whoa...just two nights ago I was watching a movie, and when the Empire State Building came up, I immediately got a feeling like something potentially deadly was going to happen at or near the Empire State building. No joke. I can't believe this happened, so sad that people feel the compulsion to actually kill someone, let alone follow through with it. I give my best hopes and wishes to all of those involved and whom are affected to that level.

I must admit, the amount of anti-managment, anti-corporate business vibes that are going around lately are palpable. In my home town, lots of people, many of whom I know, have been losing their jobs left and right. In almost every instance, there seems to be a strong dislike or concern over the manager's actions, principles, and overall attitude.

Go figure. I just hope that that violence is not seen as the answer, in any respect. If you can get through to the core of even the most 'inflated' manager, and speak to their soul with what you are concerned about, much better progress, I believe, will be made.

link   
reply to post by tport17

Movies don't give you involvement into the actions and outcome. These warlike video games teach the young to have involvement and can distort kids perceptions. Fantasy becomes more real. Everything we hear and see and feel develops who we are whether we realize it or not. Depersonalization disorders can develop from many things, it is not limited to video games. If fantasy starts becoming reality in a persons life than they should really be a member of ATS. It'll keep things interesting here

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by tport17

Movies don't give you involvement into the actions and outcome. These warlike video games teach the young to have involvement and can distort kids perceptions. Fantasy becomes more real. Everything we hear and see and feel develops who we are whether we realize it or not. Depersonalization disorders can develop from many things, it is not limited to video games. If fantasy starts becoming reality in a persons life than they should really be a member of ATS. It'll keep things interesting here

By that logic, that must be why we have an obesity epidemic....too much PacMan as a child....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join