It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple People Reported Shot Near Empire State Building

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Well did you honestly expect him to come right out and say that cops injured more people than the shooter.

It's all politics. You have to be able to say things without actually saying them. He can't flat out admit that his people shot some innocent bystanders but the same time he is acknowledging the situation witch to be honest is a lot better than sweeping it under a rug like I assumed he would do.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rottenrascals

That might be looking a little too much into it.

The NYPD is a very large police force and they are constantly running drills. I have yet to have 1 day I spent in the city without seeing vans full of cops practicing for one thing or another.

And considering that it was only a few weeks ago that the Aurora shooting happened, it was probably in light of that they decided to practice.

Yes this drill has been quite untimely but that shouldn't mean anything sinister. Until atleast more news emerges.

They need to practice less drills and start practicing mor GUN CONTROL........as in going to the damn shooting range and practicing.

I don't know what their current schedule is bu it should be mandatory that they have to go weekly. After all why should we trust guns in the hands of police when they're highly untrained with them.

Just look at every shooting involving police.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rottenrascals

Well did you honestly expect him to come right out and say that cops injured more people than the shooter.

It's all politics. You have to be able to say things without actually saying them. He can't flat out admit that his people shot some innocent bystanders but the same time he is acknowledging the situation witch to be honest is a lot better than sweeping it under a rug like I assumed he would do.

What's ludicrous is that nothing ever happens. It's just conditioning of people

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

NY cops are are special breed of criminal. There has yet to be a single shooting where they handled the situation properly. Don't forget the Sean Bell shooting in which 1 guy was shot at with over 41 rounds by three officers. Which means at least 2 reloaded twice. If i remember correctly they didn't even find the alleged gun he pulled.

For people living in New York trigger happy cops are not news. Nothing was changed after Sean Bell and nothing will change after this.

When you have the nations largest police force, a lot of things fall through the cracks. Like proper training apparently. They should honestly cut the whole force in half and make the ones that stay can handle situations like this without shooting everything in sight.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This thread is about the incident at the Empire State Building - not gun control.

Stay on topic.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
PROBLEM: Guns
REACTION: "help us from the crazies"
SOLUTION: ???

Apparently, "gun control" didn't work! Now what??? Perhaps, some will voluntarily hand over their guns, like the good citizens they are. But, what about those that aren't so willing??? Those are the people tptb are concerned with. What is their SOLUTION? Don't focus on the PROBLEM, focus on the SOLUTION!!! What do you think tptb have planned? How are they going to disarm, a well armed population?

[[[[[ding]]]]] Popcorn's ready.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Edited because: Self-moderation; off topic
edit on 24-8-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I would agree with you...but the person that started the thread commented on the first post after the link, with:

Gun control..the problem I think is more media. Yes, guns are too available.

They opened the door for the the gun control conversation.

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

link   
Police open up and wound bystanders... sheesh. C'mon guys. You are supposed to be defending the public, not helping the malfeasant mow 'em down. Lets be a little more sure of our backdrop, hmmm?

Maybe you could seek cover first and then return fire?

You are the police after all, the people hired to protect us from crazy people with guns?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Well I think there are too many drugs in the US. The US really ought to ban drugs!

Oh, wait. They've been banned for decades now, yet they're more available, cheaper, and purer. That danged constitutional amendment allowing people to do drugs!

Oh, wait - the constitution doesn't have an amendment telling people they can do drugs?

Perhaps your thoughts here are simply flawed, then...

Actually, there IS a Constitutional Amendment repealing prohibition. So, yes, recreational drug use IS in the Constitution. Now, many people have have a different drug of choice but that is another matter.

Recreational drug use and guns are part of the American fabric, both backed by our Constitution. Odd though that these things become bigger problems where other laws restrict their use. Tighter restrictions is the usual answer to those problems. >sigh<

As in this incident that occurred in New York it is demonstrated that more restrictive laws are not the effective solution. Perhaps lives being over-regulated just adds pressure and prompts people to lash out against the system and society. There seem to be less problems in more permissive societies, except where the law steps in. In this case bystanders would be advised to duck and cover. Often times over-excited law enforcement just makes matters worse.

edit on 24-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If random bystanders actually got shot (upwards of possibly 6+ of them??), than that is messed up big time.

What they don't teach cops how to aim a gun anymore? One or two bystanders shot is expected from time to time, but half a dozen? That's just ludicrous.

I think it may be time to take the doughnuts out of their hands, and redirect them away from hassling kids with skateboards, and start actually giving them fire arm training lessons. Whatever supposed lessons they are already taking clearly isn't up to par.

Want to know what I think?

I would rather you allow the criminal to escape if the other option is to shoot me in order to get him. Let him go! I don't want to pay for his crimes and I sure as hell won't take a bullet for a murderer.

Judge, Jury, and Executioner indeed.
Someone needs to lock these loose cannons up and get them off the force. Trigger happy is not a good trait for peace officers.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
My guess is that the gun he used was "acquired" out of state. This will reignite an old media debate. If guns are banned in one locale and not another, then people will just acquire them where they legally can and use them anyway. The only solution (according to the "experts"), is to ban them everywhere so this can't happen.

You watch.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by BellaSabre
In thinking about the folks in the Middle East, and how they kill each other on a daily basis. They are constantly murdering one another.

I would like to see the statistic for comparing the violence in the USA and the rate of people killing each other, to the rates of murder per capita in the Middle East.

Here is a Harvard study that will shed some light on firearms, murder, and suicide.....

"National Institute of Justice surveys among prison inmates
find that large percentages report that their fear that a victim
might be armed deterred them from confrontation crimes.
“[T]he felons most frightened ‘about confronting an armed
victim’ were those from states with the greatest relative
number of privately owned firearms.” Conversely, robbery
is highest in states that most restrict gun ownership.88"

www.law.harvard.edu...
edit on 24-8-2012 by smokenmirrors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by BellaSabre
In thinking about the folks in the Middle East, and how they kill each other on a daily basis. They are constantly murdering one another.

I would like to see the statistic for comparing the violence in the USA and the rate of people killing each other, to the rates of murder per capita in the Middle East.

Here is a Harvard study that will shed some light on firearms, murder, and suicide.....

"National Institute of Justice surveys among prison inmates
find that large percentages report that their fear that a victim
might be armed deterred them from confrontation crimes.
“[T]he felons most frightened ‘about confronting an armed
victim’ were those from states with the greatest relative
number of privately owned firearms.” Conversely, robbery
is highest in states that most restrict gun ownership.88"

www.law.harvard.edu...
edit on 24-8-2012 by smokenmirrors because: (no reason given)

Heres another:

death by firearms

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Maybe a few facts rather than speculation

According to local news reports ( live in New Jersey just across the Hudson from NYC)

Shhoter confronted former supervisor on West 33rd St (Block south of Empire State), shot him 3 X in head
with .45. Pistol had capacity of 8 rounds

Walks to end of block turns north and heads up 5th Ave . Construction worker who witnessed shooting
notified 2 NYPD cops on patrol in area. This part of NYC is sensative area with ESB and major transport hub at
Penn Station a block or so to the west on 33/34th st. NYPD maintains large presence in area

Cops confront shooter who shoots at police. Cops return fire. From reports shooter fired 4 shots ( 1 left in gun)
Police fire 14 times at shooter. Reports say 9 bystanders wounded. Most injuries appear not to be serious
Wounds are in lower extremities - this suggests most hit by richocets or by bullet fragments Shooter dead at
35th st

At 9Am this part of Manhattan is very crowded - was there yesterday walking up from train station

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
[Removed]
Good find. Dude lost his right to life when he violated that in others. In this case the courts won't get a chance to mete out justice. Nor will we find out his version of why this occurred. Looks like a head shot. How did the police manage that and still miss enough to wound others? Coup de grace?

I also wonder... are there any pictures of the people wounded by police?
edit on 8/24/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit-Removed Quoted Content.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Friday aug 24th 2012

13 yr old shot!!!

www.nydailynews.com...

Ocrap...should I start another thread? ( rme)

To all those that want to take away the 2nd ammendent .... Good and bad happen daily...just because you try and get more regulations...it's not going to stop the bad guys. A bad guy comes in to rape or steal from me...I will shoot him!

Let's start a thread to discuss gun laws, rights, instead of posting breaking news that happens on the daily!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join