It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breivik: 21-yr jail term pathetic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Cause executions just solve everything don't they?
I believe Norway knows what they are doing with the re-sentencing every 5 years. Its better to follow their laws than to change things just for this madman. That's how the bad guys win.

Besides, I severely doubt any politician would really want to let him out anyway. After all, any politician could be his next target

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Verdict is 21 years + 5 years for as long as he can be considered a threat. Taking account of what he's done, he's not going anywhere. And, even if he gets out he might live with a police-detail at him at all times. This man will never hurt another child. Every Norwegian understands that.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

But he is able to run his agenda from the prison. He will now be idolized, and will probably make contact with the extremists outside of prison.

The thing is...prison is not a prison. It will not be the first time that someone from the inside is running the show on the outside. This is all speculation I know...but they are taking a chance. They will never be certain that he is neutralized.

I'm not critical of the Norway's judicial system, I'm just saying...

Why didn't the Americans than arrest OBL, rather than executing him on the spot ? (But that's a story for another thread).

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by Mianeye

But he is able to run his agenda from the prison. He will now be idolized, and will probably make contact with the extremists outside of prison.

How will he?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RoboticNomad

Cause executions just solve everything don't they?

You know...I think in this case it does. There is nothing to be gained by keeping him alive. He will not reform, he will not repent. He is proud to have massacred those people. He certainly deserves death.

And what do you solve/gain by keeping him alive?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

reply to post by Mianeye

How will he?

Well, I'm not sure, since I've never been to prison. But, correct me if I'm wrong...but he will be allowed to keep contact with his family (if they want to)? Visitations?
Internet maybe?

I know prisons in Croatia have internet and inmates are allowed to use it (not sure about the circumstances).

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

He becomes a martyr for his cause and he gets what he wanted (to be killed). Plus it would go against the countries law, and changing the countries laws just for him is letting him win.

He does deserve to die, but only after a long life of wanting to die in prison.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

reply to post by Mianeye

How will he?

Well, I'm not sure, since I've never been to prison. But, correct me if I'm wrong...but he will be allowed to keep contact with his family (if they want to)? Visitations?
Internet maybe?

I know prisons in Croatia have internet and inmates are allowed to use it (not sure about the circumstances).

Oh right, I assumed since you stated he would be able to then you knew he would.

So in fact you're just guessing?

Then I'll offer an equally valid guess that he won't be able to.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
He'll get done in Jail..

21 yrs or 70 yrs... he'll die painfully!

edit on 24-8-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
What kind of bull# is this. 14 years for killing ONE person and 21 years for killing 70 children? If it was up to me I would have him executed in public.

Well aren't we all fortunate that its not up to you.

They guy has a 21 year sentence, they will give him another 5 years in prison, then another, then another, then another until he dies.

There is NO point in killing him, what benefit will it bring to us? None...a better punishment is to let him live everyday until he dies in the same 4 walls thinking about what he has done knowing he will never get out.

If he hapens to get out after 21 years, do you really think he will be alive for long?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

There is that of course. But tell me...OBL was executed on the spot, without the US even proving he had anything to do with 9/11.

Did he become a martyr ? Is anybody today blowing themselves up in memory of OBL ? Does anybody in the whole world today...celebrate OBL or even mention him or his cause ?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I'm guessing on account that inmates in general are allowed to keep contact with the outside world, through various means.

If you have more info on the local prison systems and rules and regulations for prisoners contacting family and friends on the outside, I would be glad to read it.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

There is that of course. But tell me...OBL was executed on the spot, without the US even proving he had anything to do with 9/11.

Did he become a martyr ? Is anybody today blowing themselves up in memory of OBL ? Does anybody in the whole world today...celebrate OBL or even mention him or his cause ?

I think you should ask that question to the rebels in Afghanistan. Yes i am quite sure there are many millions who celebrate what OBL did.

As a side note, the only word we have that OBL was killed is the word of the Whitehouse and tainted MSM outlets. There are many who said he died earlier from kidney failure, not to mention the guys that supposedly killed him also died in a helicopter crash and his body was thrown in the ocean without DNA testing etc.

edit on 24/8/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Very fair point. I think I'm more against it because he would be able to die thinking he was a martyr. Whenever I hear anything he says, it just sounds like he just wants to be killed for this, and denying that seems like a better punishment. The martyr reason is fairly weak though so I give you that, but changing the law to allow this man to be executed is something I would really not like to see happen.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I think you should ask that question to the rebels in Afghanistan. Yes i am quite sure there are many millions who celebrate what OBL did. As a side note, the only word we have that OBL was killed is the word of the Whitehouse and tainted MSM outlets. There are many who said he died earlier from kidney failure, not to mention the guys that supposedly killed him also died in a helicopter crash and his body was thrown in the ocean without DNA testing etc.

You don't know about millions. That there are people that approved of him, that's not the issue. We are talking about martyrs. That's something different.

Also...a side note...the team that supposedly killed OBL wasn't the same team of seals that died in the chopper crash. Check it out.

But let's not digress...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Hey...I'm not saying change the law...I'm just thinking out loud...saying how it's not a fair punishment. I'm in general against the death penalty. But some members will never be able return to the society. And the society wouldn't want them back.

So I'm questioning the point of keeping them in jail if the crime is severe (if it warrants a death penalty) enough, as is in this case.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I understand. I often feel very conflicted about the death penalty. On the one hand, killing someone seems like the easy way out for both the criminal and the country. It doesn't feel like they are really being punished for the crime ( I tend to be agnostic so I don't believe there's any justice after death). On the other hand, when someone does something really horrible and obviously won't change it is pretty futile to just keep them alive.

Death sentences are one of the very few things I seriously go back and forth on, but I guess that's a good thing since it involves the death of others.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoboticNomad

I understand. I often feel very conflicted about the death penalty. On the one hand, killing someone seems like the easy way out for both the criminal and the country. It doesn't feel like they are really being punished for the crime ( I tend to be agnostic so I don't believe there's any justice after death). On the other hand, when someone does something really horrible and obviously won't change it is pretty futile to just keep them alive.

Death sentences are one of the very few things I seriously go back and forth on, but I guess that's a good thing since it involves the death of others.

I believe I feel similar about the death penalty. I am also somewhat agnostic in that sense...but I consider all life sacred and feel that no one man has a right to take life. However...those are pretty rosy glasses to wear. Wars are being fought every moment. At this very moment, I'm sure that somewhere in the world...a hundred incocent people died. Unjustly. Unfairly.

So until we change the very nature of a human being, I think that we should execute people like Breivik. He has abandoned his rights as a human being when he rutlesly murdered 77 people. And to add to that, he is happy about it, and proud. And would do it again...

There is not much to hold on to in order to have mercy on him.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Here in the US I have things like Manson being sentenced to Death

Manson's a really bad example, he wasn't found guilty of killing anyone?

This guy is laughing at everyone, it's an insult to every single victim?? I mean, if they gave him 21 years per murder i can get it, but 21 for 77 murders, thats as close to getting away with it as you can get?

Guess they're right, the more you murder the more respect you're given, kill a few million people and you will never stand trial

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

The sentence can only be a maximum of 21 years, but they can keep him for as long as they feel he is dangerous. So after the 21 years is up, they will probably just hold onto him.

I think this article was purposely written to make it sound like he got off easy. This man will still be serving life in prison. Short of death penalty, that is all they can do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join