Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

If The God of The Bible is evil (Elohim, Yahweh) why do you still talk to angels like "Michael"?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I just find it hilarious that one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not kill", and the guy who issued the commandment has taken more innocent lives than all of the famous psychopaths in the history of the world combined.

Anyone seeing the irony here? Again, the word "hypocrite" comes to mind...
edit on 25-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Does the meaning of the word "hypothetical" escape you?

You are dodging questions you can't answer sufficiently, and it is obvious. Stop avoiding the meat of these matters and either answer the questions or admit your fallacy.

Not so fast, if you have had an introductory course in Philosophy you never address irrelevant points, ad hom fallacies, or red herrings. They detract from the point at hand.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I just find it hilarious that one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not kill", and the guy who issued the commandment has taken more lives than all of us mortal men combined.

Because the commandment actually says "thou shalt not murder". Its a completely different Hebrew word.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

"Hypothetical" skirts the irrelevancy issue. If you had looked at the question deeply enough, you would have seen where it was leading and how it was relevant. Or maybe you could've asked?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Outline the differences between the Hebrew definition of the word "murder" and the modern definition, if you would.

And I'm pretty sure every death by "God" was premeditated. You don't commit mass genocide by global flood and say, "Oops, I didn't mean it." Not to mention every other act of terrorism because we didn't turn out the way he planned, even though he should have seen it coming. And he probably did...he just wanted to screw with us.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

"Hypothetical" skirts the irrelevancy issue. If you had looked at the question deeply enough, you would have seen where it was leading and how it was relevant. Or maybe you could've asked?

In the hypothetical example cultural and historical contexts must be maintained for the hypothetical to remain relevant.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's not wise to compare God to fallen sinful man. God is perfect, Holy, Righteous, and Just, and man is certainly not. God is Soverign, man is not. The comparison is no way similar whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here is a brief article describing the different Hebrew words and their definitions and examples:

HERE.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Nooneimparticular

reply to post by Nooneimparticular

You tell me, what is the process for convicting a condemned person under the Mosaic Law? And is God entitled to Sovereignty as Creator of the universe or not?

I will explain Mosaic Law to those who it applies to. Are you a Jew?

Yes, God is entitled to Sovereignty as creator of the Universe. Are you God?

Me being a Jew or not is irrelevant. The notion was brought up that God violated His own command to not murder by ordering death as a punishment for certain sins. This pertained to the Jews under the law.

"Me being a Jew or not is irrelevant. "
" This pertained to the Jews under the law. "

You being a Jew is relevant. If you are not an expert on the Law, how can you speak on it?
If you are not God, then how can you speak for him?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I just find it hilarious that one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not kill", and the guy who issued the commandment has taken more innocent lives than all of the famous psychopaths in the history of the world combined.

The guy who issued the commandment was Moses who took one life before being called into service by the God of the Jews.

That being said, death comes to us all either by the hand of Man who violates this Law, or by the hand of God in due season. As he is the giver of life, it is his to take as he sees fit. Do you think you will live eternally without your makers blessing?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You tell me, what is the process for convicting a condemned person under the Mosaic Law? And is God entitled to Sovereignty as Creator of the universe or not?

I will explain Mosaic Law to those who it applies to. Are you a Jew?

Yes, God is entitled to Sovereignty as creator of the Universe. Are you God?

Me being a Jew or not is irrelevant. The notion was brought up that God violated His own command to not murder by ordering death as a punishment for certain sins. This pertained to the Jews under the law.

"Me being a Jew or not is irrelevant. "
" This pertained to the Jews under the law. "

You being a Jew is relevant. If you are not an expert on the Law, how can you speak on it?
If you are not God, then how can you speak for him?

1. I'm a Gentile.
2. It's not relevant whether I am a Jew or not because neither Jew nor Gentile are under the law today, we all operate under the covenant of grace through Christ.
3. The OT text was written during the first covenant, which only Hebrews were a party to, so when discussing the OT cultural (Jews) and historical (Mosaic covenant) contexts must be applied to the discussion.
4. God effectively speaks for Himself, I just need to be able to read.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

2. It's not relevant whether I am a Jew or not because neither Jew nor Gentile are under the law today, we all operate under the covenant of grace through Christ.

You brought the Law up, not me.

What is the Law under the covenant of grace through Christ then?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

The guy who issued the commandment was Moses who took one life before being called into service by the God of the Jews.

Moses didn't issue any commandments. He was just the messenger. According to the story, "God" gave him a bunch of rules to write down, and when he broke the first set because he was too late, "God" dictated another, different set of rules.

Both sets forbid murder. But "God" has killed many innocent men and women regardless, has he not? To issue rules he doesn't have to follow? What idiocy is this?

Once again, just one of many such fallacies in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Moses didn't issue any commandments. He was just the messenger. According to the story, "God" gave him a bunch of rules to write down, and when he broke the first set because he was too late, "God" dictated another, different set of rules.

Both sets forbid murder. But "God" has killed many innocent men and women regardless, has he not? To issue rules he doesn't have to follow? What idiocy is this?

Once again, just one of many such fallacies in the Bible.

Go back and read the story again for you are in error.

The Law was written on stone by the finger of God, according to the story.

Moses then carried them down the mountain and issued them to the awaiting Jews.

Regardless, you are not a Jew so what matter is it to you?

To a Jew God is the giver and taker of all life. Nothing is what it is without his blessing.

But you are not a Jew.

So, what matter is it to you?

Have you a better plan?

edit on 25-8-2012 by Nooneimparticular because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It's not wise to compare God to fallen sinful man. God is perfect, Holy, Righteous, and Just, and man is certainly not. God is Soverign, man is not. The comparison is no way similar whatsoever.

The words of a man desperately attempting to describe divinity, blind to the fact that divinity escapes all languages.

In short, that's the worst description I've ever read. To choose words with such obvious stigma...before you even finish, people have already painted a picture of this benevolent being sent to save us from ourselves because we're naturally prone to do what's familiar, and we're too lazy/scared to actually try something different. Only we look at it as "we're broken toys, and 'God' wants us to fix ourselves or beg forgiveness for being made that way...otherwise, he'll throw you in the incinerator. We're not worthy of being alive, and he is great and glorious in saving us despite our uselessness." What a disgusting load of tripe. If that works for you, I won't be surprised: we long ago lost the drive to fulfill ourselves spiritually, because of how difficult the road is, and how uncertain. We want a cheap religion that we can convince ourselves is working. We want the shiny inexpensive toy. Thing is...things like that are unreliable and potentially hazardous in the long run. See, we've already given up on saving the world. We've decided to trust the future to a two thousand year old corpse that'll come falling from the sky and use a magical wand to bring peace and harmony to the world in less time than it takes to pee.

Sorry, I've never seen ANYTHING like that happen. Not even close. So how can I believe it's possible? Sure, it might happen...might as in the sense that there might be a Care Bear invasion where they attempt to steal all of our lucky charms, and the Leprechauns decide to fight back for their lucky charms, and Obama is forced to reveal the presence of aliens before inviting a host of them into our atmosphere, whereupon our entire planet is conquered and we're sold as chattel on planets in a system we were led to believe was devoid of life but was actually harboring a whole species of Darth Vader. ...It might happen, but probably not.

Therefore, I'll trust in the world of empirical evidence. That way, if I'm ever in doubt, I can read the math and logistics, touch the medicine or the blueprint for a better energy source, and I can talk to experts who will tell me: "Yes, this will likely work. Everything will be fine."

Because they can prove it to me. We all work in creative stations, and some of us use ideas to build solid ground. Ideas to create a solid reality. I've built my platform to stand on, and it's made of facts and numbers. You have 'he said, she said' that doesn't have a reliable history. I have stone beneath mine, and you have pure wind.

Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

But you are not a Jew.

So, what matter is it to you?

Then why do we even bother discussing those stories at all? If none of them apply to us, what's the point? Never again quote those passages! Never again use those scriptures to make an example! Because we are not Jews, and those laws don't apply to us!

Where does it say that only Jews are susceptible to these rules? Where does it restrict these laws to the Jewish population? Which rules are specified for these restrictions?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

By "the finger of God", so now god is a living being with fingers? Hmm, sounds like an alien... I thought God was omnipresent?

By the way, it is still hypocritical for a God to that such rules are so holy and his words are eternal, and then tell them to kill against his own so-called "eternal" word..

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You brought the Law up, not me.

What is the Law under the covenant of grace through Christ then?

No, Akragon brought up the law as an example of God commanding people to violate the 10 commandments.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The words of a man desperately attempting to describe divinity, blind to the fact that divinity escapes all languages.

Sure He does, but lets not ignore that He has chosen to reveal pertinent information to us about His infinite nature.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Again, I ask you to prove than any man who had a hand in writing the Bible was under the influence of a divine being.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join