It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho Republican Wonders if Women Even Know What Rape Is

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The way I understand his statement, it seems utterly sickening. Whenever I read that I see him trying to use marriage as some be all end all protection rights for rape. I see his mentality as being it's alright to sexually assault your wife/husband because you're married and "deserve" sex whenever and however you want it even if your spouse does not want it and is uncomfortable. Just a cover up for abuse it seems. That part of what I'm understanding just makes me sick to the very core of my stomach and I wonder how these evil people get into such high statuses in our society. We have a sick society indeed.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

and this is so close to the truth it hurts to admit it ...

I see his mentality as being it's alright to sexually assault your wife/husband because you're married and "deserve" sex whenever and however you want it even if your spouse does not want it and is uncomfortable. Just a cover up for abuse it seems.
That is a good summary of the intent of his statement.

it is also the basis for why they (SA) refused to prosecute my second incident -- because we had previous consentual relations that produced a child.
didn't matter that we were never married, had been living separately for over a year or that i was threatened with violence to comply ... in 1987, NONE of that was enough to trump previous relations.

in other words, he (the rapist) could penetrate me at his will, in whatever manner he desired, forever, according to them.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

As a mother, I can not understand how someone who has had a growing child inside of her could say that "it's just a bunch of cells" "It" is a human being, different than youself" You are killing another human.

I had an abortion when I was 16 and stupid. the father didn't want the abortion, he stood by me, it was my decision. After having a child, I know I killed my first child.

Not looking for sympathy. Just stating facts. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you will repeat them.

Both individuals and governments.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by jibeho

As a mother, I can not understand how someone who has had a growing child inside of her could say that "it's just a bunch of cells" "It" is a human being, different than youself" You are killing another human.

In order to deal with reality, you have to have shades of gray. Anyone with common sense knows that a zygote does not have the same ontic and moral value as a neonate. Most abortions are early term, far from any viability concerns.

Pro-lifers keep referencing "Doctors say life starts at conception". . . those same doctors who create and kill those same "innocent little babies" in IVF clinics in their thousands each year. Clearly the medical establishment has made their decision and it's just pro-lifers using interpretation to assign a moral value to it.

Funnily enough you don't see anyone picket outside IVF clinics, perhaps since there isn't a woman there they can shout at and condemn.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by jibeho

I had an abortion when I was 16 and stupid. the father didn't want the abortion, he stood by me, it was my decision. After having a child, I know I killed my first child.

Not looking for sympathy. Just stating facts. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you will repeat them.

Both individuals and governments.

I'd like to know what this has to do with the topic of this thread?
edit on 25-8-2012 by Opportunia because: oops hit reply before typing my message!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

Originally posted by igor_ats
Funnily enough you don't see anyone picket outside IVF clinics, perhaps since there isn't a woman there they can shout at and condemn.

You hit it on the head, igor.

This whole movement gained support when women started taking their place in society instead of being the "women behind the man"... When we began to see that we had been hoodwinked into thinking that we were second-class citizens who were supposed to obey and honor the man, we started to buck against that idea, wanting to take our place alongside man, and he became threatened, and has since then, been doing all he can to put us back "in our place".

Men (and I'm talking about the men who make these laws against abortion and try to limit women's health care choices) HATE feminism. They've done all they can to oppress the women's movement to take our rightful place. They intend to keep us from rising up, by any means necessary, including calling us such names as "feminazis", selfish and whores and making laws against our autonomy.

The underlying message of making abortion illegal is that as long as a woman has sex because she wants to procreate, we can allow that, but if she has sex for her own pleasure, she's a worthless whore. The political right's war against abortion, contraception AND sex education (abstinence-only education), puts women in a situation where they are:

1. uneducated about getting pregnant
2. unable to prevent pregnancy if they do deign to have "dirty, selfish" sex
3. unable to decide what to do about it when they DO get pregnant

It puts women in a corner, with very little option to act as a human being, with a normal sex drive. To have sex for her own pleasure will result in punishment. YES PUNISHMENT. If a woman deigns to have sex for any other reason than to serve the family (procreate) she should be punished for being selfish and promiscuous. (Notice I have been called "selfish" several times in this thread, even though I am personally against abortion. Simply because I support the woman making choices about her body.)

I hear these men say that if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, she shouldn't have sex. My question is if men are so concerned about the possibility of a unwanted pregnancy, why don't THEY quit having sex? If they're so concerned about creating an unwanted child, and having a "say" in abortion, why don't THEY guarantee that the woman doesn't get pregnant by refusing to have sex with her? That's what they expect of us. Why don't they ask the same of themselves? Simple. Because they are chicken poop. They are not the ones who get "punished" with an unwanted pregnancy and they are not the ones who have to take the responsibility of the resulting child. That is chicken poop! They're not seen as promiscuous for spreading their seed. They're seen as "real men"... Macho and uncontrolled, as God meant them to be.

And then they get all sensitive and try to appeal to the compassionate side of people by extolling the virtues of the "innocent unborn"... making it sound like the woman is guilty and simply a selfish and unfortunate vehicle for the innocent unborn to get into the world. Spare me your hypocrisy!

I can understand a personal opinion about abortion. I have my own. But for men to make laws that restrict women in this way is nothing more than a neanderthal and sexist form of control and sexual slavery.

In 2012...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Brilliantly, brilliantly said

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

I, personally, am against IVF and cloning and stem-cells from fetuses. I am not against stem-cells from the person.

I could get an argument against Big Pharma and fetal stem cell investigation due to the Big Pharma having anti-rejection drugs, and "organ transplant" anti-rejection, but that would be another topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
“Rape and incest was used as a reason to oppose this. I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape . I assume that’s part of the counseling that goes on.”

This statement is not as stupid as it sounds, although im not sure if he was addressing this issue, there are women who are raped by their spouses. Married women do sometimes report being raped in cases of domestic violence. This rape can lead to pregnancy. Often when women find the courage to leave the abusive situation or file charges, people look at them sideways and ask questions. "If he was raping you why did you stay?" "Are you sure you were raped and it wasn't just a miscommunication between you and your spouse?"

edit on 30-8-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join