It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USADA to ban Armstrong for life, strip Tour titles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Uh-oh, this doesn't look good for Lance.

U.S. Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart says the agency will ban Lance Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles for doping.

USADA to ban Lance for Life

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Wow.

Another American hero, stripped of his success. It appears of his own doing.

I hoped that this was not true.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I really dont give many plops about celebrities and athletes but man I hope this isnt true. I actually dig Armstrong. Shouldnt this be rather cut and dry? Either you popped him with a drug test or you didnt right? I

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

Hold me.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
Wow.

Another American hero, stripped of his success. It appears of his own doing.

I hoped that this was not true.

Just stunning. I too had hoped it wasn't true and look to see what evidence is provided to support this action. Their pursuit of him was relentless. Almost like a witch hunt. He is the most tested athlete on the planet. One wonders how he was able to get away with it so long, if true. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they release.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is not right. Unless you want to bring Eddie Mercxx into the equation there has never been someone with the Oxygen usage for there lungs EVER. Not sure of the terminology and I dont want to look it up but Lance has been a freak for a long time.

The USADA is trying all they can to discredit Armstrong and I am wondering what they have up there sleeve. He has been the most drug tested Athlete of all time and its probably not even close and he has never failed.

Id say, sometimes there are freaks, Michael Jordan Usain Bolt Wayne Gretzky etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

This article paints a better picture of the situation. It isn't as cut and dried as the other article makes it appear.

USADA says it will ban Lance Armstrong, strip 7 Tour titles

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Nearly everyone in the top levels of sports "dopes". Winning is ALL, thus any edge to be gained, through whatever means, is embraced by athletes who put money, fame, and ego, over... well, everything else.

Was he one of the tiny few who never did? We will probably never know for sure.

Anyway, lance is just a sacrifice. A sacrifice the USADA is making to the public, so the public will remain in the mindset that they actually try to keep sports clean and that no ones doping and its all fluffy bunnies and kittens and gumdrops. Remember Martha Stewart? Lol, yeah, she was the "insider trading" sacrifice. Now people think the SEC or whatever is really doing its job and really going after all those insider traders

Why he specifically is the sacrifice to appease the public, well the real reasoning will only be known by a few, but probably has something to do with a falling out between lance and someone who had the power to wreck his career.
edit on 8/23/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I saw Mr. Armstrong when he competed in the Hawaii Ironman event a couple months ago. He won the event (and set a new record, as I recall) by a wide margin.

The man is a tremendous athlete, but it was obvious that many felt jealous of his abilities. The doping folks were there in force as well, testing everyone that competed.

If they had absolute proof of him cheating, I think it would be well known by now. Sounds like a witch-hunt to me, and I believe he just got tired of constantly trying to defend himself from the allegations, and they have passed judgment in default.

I may change my opinion if real evidence is presented by these folks, but for now I think they were just out to ruin the man.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I agree he was a sacrificial lamb, regardless if he doped or not. They have to throw the bone every now and then. The same thing is happening in baseball and track and field. Flo Jo was never found to be a doper but boy, oh boy, was she ever suspected of being one. Ben Johnson was doping just like all the other athletes but he was made an example.

Lance was fighting an uphill battle and it was just a matter of time before they got him.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Did MJ dope up playing Basketball?? Did Wayne Gretzky Dope up playing Hockey?? Again, sometimes there are freaks in sports that we just cant imagine. Randy Moss could of been the best receiver of all time if he actually gave a damn. If he did end up giving a damn would we consider him a doper??

I dont believe Lance doped up becuz he has been the most tested athlete of our time.
edit on 23-8-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I missed this thread before posting on the other....but the man never failed a test. Not one. They've never produced evidence. None at all. The men set to testify against him were intimidated and threatened with the same endless drive against them that he's suffered if they didn't say what was required...and all without anything to back any of it.

It's fine to say 'he must have been' but innocent until *PROVEN* guilty used to mean something. Not with these people tho and his first notice awhile back told him he'd be stripped of everything by DEFAULT if he didn't play ball their way. It's been an ugly and nasty situation from the start.

As fas as I'm concerned, the man was too good for their tastes and could help but keep winning. So, without one little shred of something like proof, they utterly destroyed him. Now, they've finally hounded him enough years and far enough into personal ruin to just break him. This was so wrong I could just puke.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22
Just stunning. I too had hoped it wasn't true and look to see what evidence is provided to support this action. Their pursuit of him was relentless. Almost like a witch hunt. He is the most tested athlete on the planet. One wonders how he was able to get away with it so long, if true. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they release.

I agree.

It seems that any athlete that reaches the highest level of success can expect to be dragged through the mud.

Maybe he did it, maybe he didn't. Like you said enough is enough with the witch hunt.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Some of you may not realize that it is nearly impossible to test an athlete for every single type of performance drug. Some of those drugs are so exotic, chemically modified to escape detection and kept secret for years by top athletes! How they concluded these charges to Armstrong, I don't know.

I know a lot of recreational and amateur athletes use a compound called EPO aka Erythropoietin to greatly enhance endurance. It's an old drug but from what I studied of it, very effective and dangerous.
edit on 23-8-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Not in Cycling. The test in Cycling are some of the most stringent on the planet. It is the one sport that had been so diminished becuz of doping problems WAY before Football or Baseball is why Armstrong should not be banned nor have his titles taken away.

How did all the other Cyclists during his rain get caught but he did not?? Trust me, all the current methods used to catch cheaters in Baseball or Football were already known years earlier in Cycling.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Im anticipating a rather large backlash over this news. Prove it to me good, otherwise Im going to continue being indifferent to cycling. Can someone give me a synopsis of the story?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Im a sports junkie so I know about Eddie Mercxx and until Lance Armstrong there was never a Cyclist like Eddie. Its like having a Joe Montana and Peyton Manning if your a younger person. Or Michael Jordan and Lebron James. Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky.

Now, drug test them all and what do you get?? No failures. Now, take the drug testing that they have been doing in Cycling for years and a single person like Armstrong never fails, strip them of all there MVP's, Finals MVP's, Championships, etc. and this is a huge story.

Most of the time in Cycling the French have a big influence cux anyone not French winning the Tour is almost Blasphemy.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think they will go ahead and sue the USADA. The man's reputation is on the line. I think Armstrong is a wonderful athlete. As a person, I don't really care for the guy. After what he did to Sheryl Crowe, I just think he should have done better by her instead of treating her the way he did.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Lets all point fingers at eachother and make the accusation "Witch!" just like the Salem witch trials.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

EPO came from Cycling along time ago. FYI.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join