It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find Two Galaxy Systems Like Our Own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

In the quest to prove we’re not alone in the universe astronomers have at least proved the Milky Way isn’t, according to a paper revealing the existence of two galaxy systems almost exactly like ours.

It seems to me there is more news every day regarding out cosmic back yard. This, to me is BIG news. As previously posted in past posts, THIS JUST BLOWS ME AWAY!

www.wired.com...

The team made the discovery by making use of the Galaxy And Mass Assembly survey (GAMA), a project that brings together data from six wide-field survey telescopes to build a detailed 3D map of galaxies in the local universe. Using this map the astronomers identified, for the first time, that 14 galaxies similar to the Milky Way are also accompanied by dwarf galaxies similar to the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds orbiting our galaxy. Of these, lead researcher Aaron Robotham of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) said in a press release that two are “an almost exact match.”

We are getting closer and closer! Yahhhhhhooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**– Please Review This Link.
edit on Fri Aug 24 2012 by Jbird because: Added ex tags

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Interesting read Op. Leaves one to wonder if there is life in this new found galaxy. And if there is, I hope it's more intelligent than the life in our galaxy.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

Yeah, you are right there my friend. One can only hope hey?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubicant13

Interesting read Op. Leaves one to wonder if there is life in this new found galaxy. And if there is, I hope it's more intelligent than the life in our galaxy.

probably not cause they all think they are so special that no one could be better than them,sad fact about the human race.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Always fascinated with these discoveries. I am convinced there are other out there. It would be nice to have been born 3 or 4 hundred years from now.

Instead we have to suffer through corporate and political greed that is holding us back as a civilization. (sorry for the downer at the end.)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

No, you are excused my friend. Downer totally accepted.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I'm wondering if there is some alien race out there thinking with mirrors

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
What if it is our own galaxy? This is something i've wondered about in the past. If the universe wraps around, then the light from our own galaxy would eventually reach us.

It's not entirely implausible, after all the Universe can't just end, it must circle back. The light from stars we see in the sky might have gone around a few times. It would certainly open the door for direct analysis of our own past.

new topics

top topics

join