It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

republicans want to force 32,000 women / year to have the baby of their rapist!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Disgusting
Line2

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is why I have lost what little respect I had for the Republicans, and this is coming from a conservative. Why did they have to bring this up? They should be talking about the economy, not this.....or is this just showing that the Republicans are as clueless as the Democrats in their plans to fix the fiscal mess we are in.

(and just looking at this thread, abortion will be a dead-locked issue - lots of people for and against)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

never underestimate the stupidity of the american political system.

Unfortunately, this was well said. While it's highly unlikely at present, the winds can shift and enough force can be provided by a partisan swing to allow the craziest of things, especially with as polarized as everything seems to keep getting.

This is why I push for a states' rights view on things, and not letting either decision on this matter affect everyone. That way, there are always options if various governments stick their nose where they likely shouldn't as - absent external influence - it is more than extremely unlikely that all states would decide a single way on such a divisive topic.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Alabama delegate Jacqueline Curtiss sought -- and received -- reassurance that the provision wouldn’t apply to “morning- after” pills given to rape victims. Curtiss said she raised the concern “in light of the recent comments by Congressman Todd Akin and in an attempt to reaffirm to the American people the party’s sensitivity the subject of rape.”

www.bloomberg.com...

McDonnell said yesterday that “any indication other than we should strongly support the laws that protect women from violence are just absolutely wrong.” He defended the wording of the platform language on abortion, saying that “while we affirm our support for human life,” the “specific policies” of how the ban would apply “ought to be left to the states.” With no floor debate, the panel adopted language contained in the 2004 and 2008 Republican platforms that said an “unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life that cannot be infringed.”

The whole point is to stop abortions and put the deciding factors back in the hands of the states where they belong...that is why the constitution protected states rights.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

The problem is they have just finished there 60 page platform to be presented at the convention, where they stand on ALL issues for the coming election..to be voted on by the members during the convention.

But what got attention was this one issue...it's the left's way of distracting from the lousy economy etc.

Get women all riled up and worried over their mostly untruthful spin on the GOP platform.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

A 1996 study in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reported that “among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year.”

I think this is one heck of an estimator to boil it down to an odd digit...strikes me a little odd...Almost like, "Hey, could you give me an estimate of how many stars we can see at night in Peoria, IL?" Answer: "Yeah, you can see approximately 2,307 stars."

The whole thing is horse hockey...it will go nowhere...

We need MORE ABORTIONS anyway...
Hate to see people who cannot get a job having more kids...
I say open up the abortion clinics and start a two year college program to safely administer them...
People who want to use them as a birth control method will have their way and more people will be put to work...
edit on 23-8-2012 by totallackey because: clarity

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Regardless of what I said in another thread about regretting asking my partner (at the time) to have an abortion because we were young, and scared (didn't have one, son is nearly 13, that is why I regret it).........

I think any woman who feels that she cannot cope, or has been raped, or whatever legitimate reason for concern should be allowed to have an abortion, it is her body, it is her right to choose.

However, I also believe that it should be done before the baby is conscious (24th - 28th week of gestation), prior to that, I don't see how terminating the pregnancy can be seen as anymore than a woman taking the pill, or (and forgive my words here) a guy masturbating and killing all those sperm.

There is no consciousness, therefore there is no life (depending upon how you define life).

EDIT: In regards to the republicans wanting to force the abortion upon rape victims, that is wrong, it should be left to the choice of the mother/victim.
edit on 23/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Just a glimps at week 7 of a babies in vitro life:

What is going on with your baby during week 7? Your baby's head is the largest part of the body - indicative of the rapid brain growth that has been occurring. All four chambers of the heart are now in place. Intestines are also developing but they are not yet encased inside your baby's body as yet. They bulge out into the umbilical cord. The crown to rump length of your growing baby measures at 4 to 5 mm (0.16-0.2 in).

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by ImaFungi

..when you are carrying a child, it's not just your body anymore...someone has to look out for that child..

lets say the mother wanted an abortion because she didnt want the child,.,.,.,.

we say no,, you cant have an abortion its not just your body anymore,, we have to look out for that child,.,.
the the mother has the child,,,,, keep in mind she still doesnt want it,,,,. now who is the someone that has to look out for that child?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Hey I'm probably gonna get flamed for this post but here it goes....

Listen you can't have it both ways. people cry that it's wrong to abort a baby and then those same people want to abort a baby that was conceived in rape. Rape is wrong but regardless its still a life the abortion is killing. So make up your mind ... is abortion wrong or right, legal or illegal. None of that makes any bit of difference if you start making exceptions...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I was placed for adoption as a baby.

It's bad enough trying to rationalise being given away by your natural mother, but knowing too that your natural father was a rapist ? What a dreadful hand to deal any child, how awful to condemn into illegality any anguished woman aborting in those circumstances (because abortions don't disappear because they're made illegal, you know, it still goes on no matter what the law says).

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Why that's absurd! Everybody knows that if a woman is legitimately raped, and wasn't some tarted up trollop strutting around asking for it, her body has undefined and mysterious ways of shutting it down. That much is common knowledge.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

You're absolutely right. It's same if a bad person chops your arm off, the body knows that and I'll just grow back. If it's just an unfortunate accident, it won't grow back. Wow, the human body is so smart!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
For those that cry about losing your rights...but are OK with the government telling a woman what she can or cannot do with her body....HYPOCRITICAL much...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Personally, if I was a woman and was raped, and got pregnant from it, I would want that baby dead and gone. No way should a woman be punished to keep the baby. For women who would keep the baby, I think it's commendable, but in no way should ever be mandatory. Rape takes choices away. Forcing a woman to carry baby to term or put up for adoption is just taking away another choice and making a painful situation worse.

And guys, seriously. Too many babies on the planet. We should be getting tax breaks for abortions at this point. We should be encouraging abortions every where. Just say NO to babies. Oh no, loss of life, says the party who shrugs off collateral damage. Get over it.

Abortions for every one!

edit on 23-8-2012 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
Personally, if I was a woman and was raped, and got pregnant from it, I would want that baby dead and gone. No way should a woman be punished to keep the baby. For women who would keep the baby, I think it's commendable, but in no way should ever be mandatory. Rape takes choices away. Forcing a woman to carry baby to term or put up for adoption is just taking away another choice and making a painful situation worse.

And guys, seriously. Too many babies on the planet. We should be getting tax breaks for abortions at this point. We should be encouraging abortions every where. Just say NO to babies. Oh no, loss of life, says the party who shrugs off collateral damage. Get over it.

Abortions for every one!

Such an opinion can not exist in a brain with extensive powers of reasoning. IF their was a hell their would be a place for you. Kill the baby. Talk about taking choice away...
edit on 23-8-2012 by LordD because: wording

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

At first I thought I could ignore Republicans because they would die out eventually, probably in the next 8 years, I thought. But I'd better take a stand.

No, it is not okay to call rape legitimate. No, it is not okay to force a woman to carry the baby of her rapist. I think the morning after pill should suffice just fine.
edit on 23-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This thread wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Todd...because he's an idiot now everyone comes out of the wood work with their ......crap! I'm quite sure repubs want that...yup...sureeeeeeely!

I'm not dem or repub. Dividing us is ridiculous!
edit on 23-8-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

I agree with what you are saying, Democrats take something controversial one person says and then apply it to the whole Republican party as a generalization.

However, both Republicans and Democrats are getting so polarized at this point it is hard to follow either party's logic, honestly. I think I am more of a Democrat, but there are definitely some things I disagree with that are considered liberal views.

There is one thing that NEVER works out in anyone's favor - dehumanizing a group of people, which is what the Democrats are doing to Republicans right now. That will only result in Republicans becoming more adamant and extreme with their views, and will also result in some people becoming Republican because they can't stand how the Democrats view Republicans as sub-human.
edit on 23-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Trying to turn abortion into a political issue is part of the problem. If it were only rape victims that were getting abortions, I don't think the uprising against them would be as tumultuous. It's the other 1 million each year (or more) that people are concerned about. Just this evening, PP was shown to encourage a young woman who wanted an abortion if it was proven that the baby was a girl.....in the US......at over 22 weeks. Come on, we are no worse than the Chinese who kill their baby girls after their birth. Here's what I see happening: individuals not accepting responsibility for their actions and looking for a quick solution to their "problem". They choose no action at prevention because the solution is an easy fix. Look up the stats for your self. One million babies a year murdered....NOT because of rape.....ONLY BECAUSE OF IRRESPONSIBILITY. OWN YOUR DECISONS....EVERY ONE OF THEM. LAME ONCE AGAIN! Don't try and blame it on a political position.....for crying out loud get a grip, every one of you who are attempting to claim women's rights. This is yet another attempt by Obama to be a Nanny State, taking care of "all your problems" with no consequence to you. Yahoo......NOT!

www.abort73.com...

ANNUAL ABORTION STATISTICS
•In 2008, approximately 1.21 million abortions took place in the U.S., down from an estimated 1.29 million in 2002, 1.31 million in 2000 and 1.36 million in 1996. From 1973 through 2008, nearly 50 million legal abortions have occurred in the U.S. (AGI).
•In 2008, the highest number of reported abortions occurred in New York (124,867), NYC (89,469), Florida (86,817) and Texas (81,366); the fewest occurred in Wyoming (≤4), South Dakota (848), North Dakota (1,386), and Idaho (1,481) (CDC).
•The 2008 abortion ratios by state ranged from a low of 59 abortions per 1,000 live births in Idaho (Wyoming had too few abortions for reliable tabulation) to a high of 732 abortions per 1,000 live births in NYC (CDC).
•The annual number of legal induced abortions in the United States doubled between 1973 and 1979, and peaked in 1990. There was a slow but steady decline through the 1990's. Overall, the number of annual abortions decreased by 3.7% between 2000 and 2008, with temporary spikes in 2002 and 2006 (CDC).
•The US abortion rate is similar to those of Australia, New Zealand, and Sweden but higher than those of other Western European countries (NAF).

•In 1998, the last year for which estimates were made, more than 23% of legal induced abortions were performed in California (CDC).
•In 2005, the abortion rate in the United States was higher than recent rates reported for Canada and Western European countries and lower than rates reported for China, Cuba, the majority of Eastern European countries, and certain Newly Independent States of the former Soviet Union (CDC).
•Nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended; about 4 in 10 of these are terminated by abortion. Twenty-two percent of all U.S. pregnancies end in abortion. (AGI).

www.christianliferesources.com...

TOTAL ABORTIONS SINCE 1973:
54,559,615 Abortions Level Off After Decline

After reaching 25 percent from a high of over 1.6 million in 1990, the number of abortions performed annually in the U.S. has leeled off at about 1.2 million a year.

Two independent sources confirm this latest trend: the government’s Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Guttmacher Institute (GI), which was once a special research affiliate of abortion chain Planned Parenthood.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join