It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dee Snider blasts Romney camp's use of Twisted Sister hit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Dee Snider blasts Romney camp's use of Twisted Sister hit

Are there any recording stars not named "Kid" or "Jr." who are willing to let the Mitt Romney campaign use (or like) their music? A week after Silversun Pickups issued a cease and desist order to the GOP candidate for playing one of their songs at events, Twisted Sister's Dee Snider has now spoken out with a similar objection. After getting word that Romney's running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, used the band's biggest hit at a recent rally in Pennsylvania, Snider issued a statement to website. "I emphatically denounce Paul Ryan's use of my band Twisted Sister's song, 'We're Not Gonna Take It,' in any capacity," Snider said through his manager. "There is almost nothing he stands for that I agree with except the use of the [workout program] P90X."

Don't politicians know you have to ask permission before using someone's music? Instead of artist telling them not to use their music just sic the RIAA on them.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Romney's lot are using 'We're Not Gonna Take It'? Any particular reason they chose that song? The last time I checked, Republican and Democrat politicians do indeed bend over and 'take it' from the corporations. Always.
edit on 23-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I'm sure they went through the recording company and paid the royalties to use the music. Snyder probably had no clue until someone told him.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

It actually happens quite a bit.. Remember when Newt got sued for using Eye of the Tiger awhile back. I dunno why they do it without asking. Hoping to get away with it I guess.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

I'm sure they went through the recording company and paid the royalties to use the music. Snyder probably had no clue until someone told him.

Source?? Cause I think they just started playing it and never even had a clue as to what copyright laws are...ASCAP and RIAA should burn them to the ground.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Never heard of this Twisted Sister Dee chick or her band.

They should get a well known band and get approval if they plan to use it as their theme song.
edit on 23-8-2012 by Kituwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

Justin Bieber would have been more suitable.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

That's what you're sure of? You're sure of a lot of things that are simply not true.

Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, e-mailed this response: "We're Not Gonna Play It anymore."

Source

They wouldn't stop playing it if they had permission, would they?

edit on 8/23/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kituwa

They should get a well known band and get approval if they plan to use it as their theme song.

How old are you ten? The song was ranked number 47 on 100 Greatest 80's Songs and number 21 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s. There was virtually no way to listen to the radio in the 80's and not hear this song.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

How old are you ten? The song was ranked number 47 on 100 Greatest 80's Songs and number 21 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s. There was virtually no way to listen to the radio in the 80's and not hear this song.

Not to mention one of the main artists to testify at the senate hearings against the PMRC headed by none other than Tipper Gore.Man--I hope you're playing around about not knowing who Dee Snider is and Twisted Sister,or I am just going to have to kill myself now if that's what the world has come to.
Even my 78 year old father knows who TS are,good lord!Well--sad to know that the Defenders of the Faith have dwindled so much.....

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

True, maybe they just played it off YouTube, but to say using it was breaking the law is laughable. I'm sure they don't want the negative publicity from the artist, so they are dropping the song. Like many have said this happens all the time.

I would note Snyder sang this song with Arnold Schwarzeneeger during his gubernatorial campaign.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Ann Coulter looking a lil haggard these days.

Oh thats the dude from Twisted Sister?

Well I'm glad he ain't going to take it, at all with Paul Ryan.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Actually, it is against the law.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

basically he got screwed as the record company might have thought about the artists as being old and brain dead

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
DUPLICATE...deleted.
edit on 24-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

47 out of 100!!!! WOW! Not so good no matter what year it was.

Looked her up and ****! If I ran into that sister in an ally, I'd run like ****!

FYI ~ NOT listening to the radio in the 80's would still make you older that ten,

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'd guess campaigns immediately stop playing songs when the artist complains because they don't want the negative press.

new topics

top topics

join